Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dawn of War II - Warhammer 40k win!

The Groke

hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat
Really looking forward to this one

I am not usually a massive RTS fan; I always love the idea of them, but the actual play leaves me inexplicably cold and uninvolved.

Also, I suck at them.

That said, the first Dawn of War and it's expansion packs were a fucking hoot.
The sequel looks to take all the best bits from those and distill the fuck out of them before throwing out all tedious resource gathering/building to make a tight, pure ball of bloody, action RTS goodness featuring squad-level focus and all your favourite WH40K races.

Tyranids yay!

I loved the first one, the battles were just spot on, they managed to get it just as brutal as you imagined it as a kid

it was really good but im not a fan of the squad capping. If i want to make an army of 3000 terminators i should be allowed too goddanm it!

dave

Not played it but limiting the numbers in an army sounds too wankish.

Is it the best war strategy game? Better than Command and Conquer?

Did you play Company of Heroes?

It is more like that.

Very small squads, but with much more tactical control than you would have in generic RTS with entire armies-worth of units.

Cover, suppressing fire, tactical movement etc are the focus, rather than building up vast amounts of resource and buildings and then zerg rushing/unit spamming.

I'm a c&c man personally. It wasn't a bad pretender tpo the crown though, graphics and units were great and i loved the menu/control systems and i think it was the first rts that you could zoom and roatate and stuff. Twas good and made c&c pick its game back up.

To be honest i would go to the total war games(if they realeased a new one with good graphics and stuff) after c&c and then warhammer.

It was very very good though.

dave(never played warhammer as a yoot)

It sounds like they're actually going even closer to the board game in terms of scale. Yer typical 2000 point space marine army's what, 3 squads and a tank and a commander and a psyker? Use em wisely cos that's all you get... Sounds interesting anyway. Might even get this if my mac can handle it.

Company of Heroes in its orginal incarnation was fabulous from a tactical point of view. When you had just won a point with a bloody troop battle and suddenly a Panther Tank turns up the fear was palpable. If they can capture the essence of this in DoW II it will be excellent. If you want the ultimate zerg rush game - literally - check out starcraft ii the videos make it look awesome... but a rushers game

It sounds like they're actually going even closer to the board game in terms of scale. Yer typical 2000 point space marine army's what, 3 squads and a tank and a commander and a psyker? Use em wisely cos that's all you get...

Yup.

I like the more involved RPG elements too - power up and develop ur d00ds throughout the game...

Sounds interesting anyway. Might even get this if my mac can handle it.

• Minimum Requirements
    • Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
    • P4 3.2 GHz (single core) or any Dual Core processor
    • 1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
    • A 128MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT / ATI X1600, or equivalent
    • 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space
    Recommended
    • Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
    • AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ or any Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 2 GB RAM (XP and Vista)
    • A 256MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900, or equivalent
    • 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Do you have a laptop or a big mac crispy? My Macbookpro is higher spec than my PC tower.. but the tower has more cooling so I feel better playing games on that..

I have a X6100 in my (white plastic) imac, so should be able to play...

There will be an open multiplayer beta, obtained via Steam:

THQ ANNOUNCES WARHAMMER 40,000: DAWN OF WAR II MULTIPLAYER BETA

We’re very excited to have you all try out our multiplayer matching system and get your thoughts on the game. Here is the official announcement on the beta, we’ll have more details on installing it as the time draws near:

“Exclusive Beta Offered to Dawn of War - Soulstorm Owners; Public Beta to Follow

January 8, 2009 — THQ Inc. today announced plans to release a multiplayer beta for Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II, the award winning Real-time strategy (RTS) game from Relic Entertainment.

The beta will be hosted via Steam and offered exclusively to Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War - Soulstorm owners on January 21, followed by a worldwide public release on January 28. The beta will feature all four playable races, five multiplayer maps, and Microsoft’s Games for Windows - LIVE TrueSkill Matchmaking.

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II, developed by THQ’s internal studio, Relic Entertainment, is a Real-time strategy (RTS) game set in the grim, war-ravaged world of Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 science fiction universe. Featuring vicious front-line combat, destructible environments, a fully cooperative multiplayer mode, four unique playable races, and a non-linear single player campaign with branching storylines, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II delivers the ultimate sci-fi fantasy RTS experience. The game is scheduled for release on February 23, 2009 for Windows PC, and will be available through worldwide retail and online outlets. For more information on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, please visit www.dawnofwar2.com.”

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=452

Just been playing the beta version you can get for free off Steam. You need to sign up to windows live as well. Anyway its pretty good. They have dropped the base building and it plays like a sci fi Company of Heroes, which means its pretty punishing. Once you get the hang of it and can resist getting zerged it suddenly becomes very tactical. You only get a few squads, one hero and usually one tank if your very lucky. Ill probably make a purchase after I've rinsed the beta...

it was really good but im not a fan of the squad capping. If i want to make an army of 3000 terminators i should be allowed too goddanm it!

dave
Computer says no :D

Which is why i can't play DoW2.

I'd give my firstborn (or at least someone else's) to have a machine that could run this. DoW is awesomeness personified. The atmosphere is spot on and it's cheaper (and probably less smellier) than the 'real' thing. :D :D

Computer says no :D

Which is why i can't play DoW2.

I'd give my firstborn (or at least someone else's) to have a machine that could run this. DoW is awesomeness personified. The atmosphere is spot on and it's cheaper (and probably less smellier) than the 'real' thing. :D :D

You wouldn't need to spend that much to get a PC capable of running this at a fair lick.

:)

Bah, would love to play this but Google says that beyond a brief dash of excitement last year there's no news of a 360 version and I'm far too broke for a new PC. This is the one shitey thing about console gaming, no/very few strategy games with any depth and even the ones there are are just badly ported PC games. Plus controllers are worthless compared to mice. Hmph.

Indeed I do.

But right now my maximum budget is zero pounds and naught pence unless I sell my 360 (or it breaks again, which wouldn't surprie me).

been playing this most of the night , its great but different , its more like comany of heroes ( which isnt a bad thing imo ) , no base building but very squad tactical with a dose of rpg levelling up of your hereos. Visually its lovely and contains all the gore of the original dawn of war.

My only grumble is the drm (if not not using the cracked non steam version) and that you cant save mid-mission.

If youre looking for a cracked version , dont get the RFORCE , get the VITALITY release ;) or just buy it ;)

I will after evaluating for the multiplayer :)

Been loving it so far - nearly done with campaign mode and my Dreadnought fucking rocks.

Yes, it is a bit of a click-fest - I saw a review wherein it was described as "an uber-violent, squad-based Diablo" which isn't far off I reckon.

I like the lack of base-building and the emphasis on lashings of bloody death. The power ups and loot drops keep things pretty fresh.

Not tried multi-player yet, through I can guarantee I will have my arse handed to me by 10 year-olds.

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom