Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crystal Palace/Sydenham/Penge Chitter Chatter

I think it's amazing how old they are so can't say I've ever been bothered by them looking shabby. But I'd say it's mainly a young kids thing to go and look at them...

Definitely going to seen the dinosaurs at Easter. Any recommendations for other must-sees in the vicinity of the park? I notice it's also getting a big refurbishment.
This historic south London park is getting a massive £17.5 million revamp
Lots of interesting bits to the park. I reccomend visiting the farm/zoo. which is free, but has limited opening hours. I advise you to avoid the cafe in the park, as its pricey and very busy at weekends and go to one in the surrounding area instead.

I really like Kingswood Art Centre aka Bovril Castle, which is a castle in the middle of a housing estate.

I don't know how local you are or what you know of the area but 'the triangle' aka the three roads at the top of Crystal Palace is a nice place to wander around. lots of cafes and a bit gentrified but still some interesting shops and a few pubs.
if you're in the park you should make sure you walk around the lake and the 'rusty laptop' where Bob Marley played. I think there is sometimes a cafe there now too. and then at the top of the park you get a good view looking south.

Good to hear music from Crystal Palace Park rumbling over towards Sydenham. No idea who 'The National' are but can't help but feel sorry for those in the park paying good money to watch in this rain.

As an aside, do people moan to fuck about these events like the fun vacuums living near Brockwell Park do?

Houses aren't as close are they?
And is it on that stage with the lake or some other bit? If so it was in a kind of bowl iirc

Good to hear music from Crystal Palace Park rumbling over towards Sydenham. No idea who 'The National' are but can't help but feel sorry for those in the park paying good money to watch in this rain.

As an aside, do people moan to fuck about these events like the fun vacuums living near Brockwell Park do?
There are similar moans. Less about noise but road closures and access to the park. I think these concerts go on for a while so does impact the use of a chunk of the park.

When we had Wireless Festival in 2022 I think the moans were not unreasonable as it was a GIGANTIC event and literally ground shakingly loud. Much, much bigger than the Brockwell Park festivals. That, and I assume the current Festival Republic events, were on the terraces.

Then there's South Facing Festival, which is much smaller and is by the bowl (the stage with the lake). That's pretty pleasant and not very disruptive at all if you're local. It doesn't block off much of the park. I have tickets for Grace Jones and just got an email to say I'd been successful in the residents' ballot for Balcony Mix Africa. Just need to persuade someone to come with me to the latter now.

I'm a mile away and can hear it loud and clear, so thousands and thousands of homes must also be. Its raining heavily so the park will turn muddy tonight. I can't find any furious people online complaining about it at all? Genuinely a bit puzzled as the 2 scenarios whilst different share many similarities.

When we had Wireless Festival in 2022 I think the moans were not unreasonable as it was a GIGANTIC event and literally ground shakingly loud. Much, much bigger than the Brockwell Park festivals. That, and I assume the current Festival Republic events, were on the terraces.

Then there's South Facing Festival, which is much smaller and is by the bowl (the stage with the lake). That's pretty pleasant and not very disruptive at all if you're local. It doesn't block off much of the park. I have tickets for Grace Jones and just got an email to say I'd been successful in the residents' ballot for Balcony Mix Africa. Just need to persuade someone to come with me to the latter now.
Having checked, Crystal Palace Park is almost twice the size as Brockwell and the festivals seem to be around the 20k mark. So perhaps that mitigates things 🤔

Having checked, Crystal Palace Park is almost twice the size as Brockwell and the festivals seem to be around the 20k mark. So perhaps that mitigates things 🤔
Hmm, I'm not sure it's comparable. A lot of CPP is wasted in car parks, footprint of the stadium etc, odd bits of ground that are not very parklike, ie not really usable if you just want to go for a walk or have a picnic.

I think the South Facing events are probably smaller than the BP ones though.

I'm a mile away and can hear it loud and clear, so thousands and thousands of homes must also be. Its raining heavily so the park will turn muddy tonight. I can't find any furious people online complaining about it at all? Genuinely a bit puzzled as the 2 scenarios whilst different share many similarities.
Have you not discovered the Crystal Palace Local Facebook page yet? Always a good resource if you want moaning and lost cats.

I've found it, I think, and disappointed not to see anyone complaining about music noise, mud, nesting birds, pruned trees, people merrily talking on the street or 'defecating on my doorstep' as a result of the music festivals in Crystal Palace Park. Surely there must be a Guardian journalist living nearby able to publish an article on these horrors, as with Brockwell Park?

I've found it, I think, and disappointed not to see anyone complaining about music noise, mud, nesting birds, pruned trees, people merrily talking on the street or 'defecating on my doorstep' as a result of the music festivals in Crystal Palace Park. Surely there must be a Guardian journalist living nearby able to publish an article on these horrors, as with Brockwell Park?
Oh you need to scroll back for the nesting birds/pruned trees, but that was down to sports centre refurbishment.

We def had doorstep defacation during Wireless. That and Beyonce in the local barbers.

I roo am disappointed at the lack of complaints considering my road WhatsApp complains about someone sitting in their car playing loud music at 2 in the afternoon and bbqs happening in gardens that aren't on our street at completely reasonable hours.

Oh you need to scroll back for the nesting birds/pruned trees, but that was down to sports centre refurbishment.

We def had doorstep defacation during Wireless. That and Beyonce in the local barbers.
I think that was Rihanna…

It also depends where in the park it is. Today it’s something on the terrace so probably travelling further - I can hear it now and I’m well over a mile away.

pubs were mobbed in Crystal Palace today. hadn’t realised there was another one tonight. Bloc Party so heavy on the middle aged men boozers.

pubs were mobbed in Crystal Palace today. hadn’t realised there was another one tonight. Bloc Party so heavy on the middle aged men boozers.
I heard on radio 6 the other day that it was their biggest gig. Which surprises me considering I remember seeing them at V Festival in 1998 and they had quite a big tent then.

Back
Top Bottom