Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crete, anyone been, tips and that please...

Do we need a 'Dreaming of retiring to Crete' thread? :D

It was always my plan, but I thought Brexit had probably fubar'd it - though Chilli.s might have re-opened the hope window...???

I was looking day-dreamily at this place when I was last there:

Needs a lick of paint or two.

You can tell who's in their mid 50's on this thread can't you? :D

Thailand have a retirement visa scheme these days too. Last time i looked you needed 3 million baht* in a Thai bank account to get one. Plus good medical insurance and no criminal record. The last bit discounts almost everyone I used to know on Ko Pha Ngan so I'm not sure how they're all getting by these days. :D

*£65K+ atm

Thanks for that prunus. The Minoans were creating some incredibly beautiful and advanced buildings for the time weren't they? I'm used to hut circles etc from a similar era over here.

Looking forward to seeing Knossos, it looks fantastic.

Eeeeeeeeee lush ! Where you stoppin' ?
Makri Gialos. Is that how you spell it? South coast.

Looking forward to exploring some ancient stuff, swimming in bath-like temperatures, walking a gorge or two, eating loads of olives. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: izz
Back home now. Will have some pics in a bit. Right now though, I'm looking out at a drizzly Cornwall afternoon and wondering why I can't go for lazy lunch of dolmathes and Greek salad and have a swim in a sea the temperature of your bath.

Well that was just brilliant. What a place. Stunningly beautiful, incredibly friendly people, delicious food, some great ancient stuff. TIcked all my boxes. Could quite happily move there tomorrow.

A few pics.

Diaskari beach, first thing in the morning. Pretty quiet at the best of times, this one, but literally deserted first thing.

20240714_075518.jpg

The view down to Makri Gialos from up in the hills near Agios Stephanos. Really loved it up in the hills here. Absolutely stunning with beautiful little whitewashed villages clinging onto the hillside ...

20240720_183211.jpg

... such as Pekfi that you can see here. The monastery on the hill to the left is a great walk, if vaguely life-threatening in July's heat.

20240719_110001.jpg

View from the top was worth it, though.

20240722_094212 (1).jpg

Totally fell in love with Crete. Only saw a fraction of the island but already have a lengthy list of stuff we've got to do next time. Brilliant place.

Lovely pics Voley

I went to Crete after my A levels. I had two weeks there, and spent a lot of time getting the bus from where my accommodation was to various classical sites.

I particularly enjoyed the bus over the mountains to the south of Crete to Gortys / Phaistos (I think). Amazing views! I recall looking around the ruins there and having a beer in a cafe afterwards.

Lovely tho innit ? Yes it needs rebuilding but it'll be uh-may-zing when it's done. Or rather, it'd be uh-may-zing if I had anything to do with it 😀
Since getting back from Crete, I have been spending inordinate amounts of time looking at totally impractical but gorgeous old properties.

izz Do you reckon your renovation magic could turn one of those "ruins" we were talking about before into something like this. :D

Particularly like the pool that's practically in a jungle on this one. 😍

Since getting back from Crete, I have been spending inordinate amounts of time looking at totally impractical but gorgeous old properties.

izz Do you reckon your renovation magic could turn one of those "ruins" we were talking about before into something like this. :D

That's lovely!

Not without metric fucktons of money 😀

The only thing we’ve decided on is Crete… annual leave booked but haven’t actually booked the holiday yet!
I've already done the same for 2025.

Two weeks in May. I'm hoping that'll be a bit cooler than July and we can walk some more hills and gorges.

Back
Top Bottom