Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crete, anyone been, tips and that please...

LDC

On est tous des pangolins
As it says, thinking of heading to Crete in May this year for ten or so days, probably fly there then ferry and trains back. Never been before so any tips etc. are very welcome. Thanks!

We went a couple of years back, stayed in Chania at the end of the season. It was bloody lovely, a nice old town, not too busy, plenty to do at a reasonable price (tho the snails were fucking horrible).

Elafonisi beach is possibly the nicest I have ever been too, bloody gorgeous, lagoon and sea swimming, and big enough to get away from everyone else.

Samaria Gorge hike is a great day out, again, just bloody gorgeous (hoho) and quite fascinating. Good sea and bars at the end of it too.

Knossos is a must, tho I bet it is boiling hot and rammed at that time, still, has to be done.

Falassarna has an interesting archeological site, with a very groovy throne

f2otpjqnqvzcidopposu.jpg

Definitely hire a car. Crete is big.

Some of its lovely, the bits where Brits hang out rival anything Benidorm can boast of. IYKWIM.

I do recall a couple of mosquitoes when I was there but that was twenty years ago.Apart from that it was heaven.

I went last September along the coast in the east of the island, was brilliant altho the Elounda area is a bit pricey. Great place for a holiday - real mix of things to do. The archaeology museum in Irakleon is truly incredible btw.

Would like to go back tbh and see the quieter less touristy bits and go hiking too. And eat more filo spinach pasties - spanakopita are the biz. People are so nice in Greece too.

We went in October and it remains our favourite holiday!

We stayed in the centre of Heraklion. The food is great and good prices, I recommend the courgette fritters. Local wine is lovely. There's a nice harbour with a Venetian fort and walks around the town and an archaeological museum which is interesting (though you tire of pots after a while!).

The only thing is there's no beach in Heraklion but you can take a bus to one west of the town (Agapi) , or a taxi to the nicer one in the east (Karteros). We spent a day in Karteros and it was lovely, sea was warm and there's a nice restaurant on the beach.

Visit Knossos if you like your history/ruins.

We went on a safari day on 4x4 up the mountain roads, feeding goats at a goat cheese farm, trying local wine/raki, around the Lasithi plateau and visited Zeus' cave which was awesome. We saw a goat up a tree. We visited villages in the middle of nowhere and the locals liked us visiting as the driver was clearly the local weed delivery boy lol.

There's a good water park. In October we didn't queue, though the water's a bit nippy that time of year. The slides start up a hill so you don't have to deal with the vertigo of walking up those high step structures you get sometimes.

We took a coach trip to Agias Nikolaos which looked like a nice relaxed seaside town, with a "bottomless lagoon" . Then into Elounda & Spinalonga which is also a really interesting place to visit and I would highly recommend.

Hope I've sold it to you lol. We plan to go back at some point!

Last edited:
Some of the best beaches I've ever been to are on Crete. The best ones are far from resorts (on one hand it's good, on the other hand, they are far from stuff). I recommend Matala and around.

We're thinking of Crete later this year. Is September/ October a good time to go? Weather still nice but less crowded I'd hope?

We'd be staying in Makriyalos (sp?)

We're thinking of Crete later this year. Is September/ October a good time to go? Weather still nice but less crowded I'd hope?

It is a beautiful time to go. It’s a little chillier, especially in the evenings in the mountains, but that’s relative so coming from the uk it will seem like paradise, especially on the south coast.

I was there last October (in the white mountains, but I went down to the south coast several times).

Excellent time of year to go IMO, it's at the end of the season so stuff is still open/running, but won't be as full with families on holiday as it would during peak season.
I've not been for ages but I absolutely loved Crete when I went.
Are you planning to hike the Samaria gorge while you're there? I wouldn't be able to do it now, even 30 years ago it was fucking hard on my knees!

Loads of archaeological sites, museums, charming towns and villages, and good beaches if that's your thing (it isn't mine, but horses for courses etc!)
And the food of course :D

Thanks prunus and Epona . Yes, Samaria Gorge looks fab and I'd hope a little cooler that time of year. 16kms in 30 degree heat sounds brutal. :D

We like ancient stuff, walking in the hills, decent food, I'll happily crash on the beach but Mrs V gets bored with that so museums etc are her thing. A boat trip to an island or something would be nice?

I think that’s elafonisi? It’s quite a long way from you if is it, 4 or 5 hour drive I fear. But there are beautiful deserted beaches at the east end too, never fear.

Ooh it might be Balos, that’s still on my list :) One has to get there by boat (or Land Rover). Still right at the other end of the island though I’m afraid :-(

I’m a bit of a creteophile. Hoping to go again in June and September, if all works out :). I mostly know the west end though, sorry.

You have some fantastic archaeological sites over near Makrigialos, I am envious :) Might have to go east next time.

Thanks prunus and Epona . Yes, Samaria Gorge looks fab and I'd hope a little cooler that time of year. 16kms in 30 degree heat sounds brutal. :D

We like ancient stuff, walking in the hills, decent food, I'll happily crash on the beach but Mrs V gets bored with that so museums etc are her thing. A boat trip to an island or something would be nice?

Check out Loutro.

A fabulous little isolated fishing village on the south coast of the island that can only be reached by boat (from Sfakia). You can do day trips but it's worth a couple or three days chilling out. Very small and quiet.

Lots of good recommendations, thank you.

Seems like a few are up the other end of the island from us but all the reading I'm doing says the Eastern end is quieter, which suits me tbh.

I haven't been to Greece in years so looking forward to this. I want to eat swordfish looking at a ridiculously turquoise sea. And there's a hiking route near us called The Gorge of the Dead. :cool:

Welljell Voley, Crete is possibly my favourite place in the world and one I dreamt of moving to when I retired, before bollocking Brexit.

I love the Venetian architecture of Rethymnon and even though it's touristy it's still lush. Visited an eco-village in the centre of the island which was amazing.

E2a Spinalonga was interesting as well and surprisingly beautiful and quiet, if you have to exile people for just being ill you could do worse !

Refreshingly honest Estate Agents description here izz

"PROPERTY TYPE: RUINS" :cool:

I think that would be "may require modernisation or updating" over here. :D
Lovely tho innit ? Yes it needs rebuilding but it'll be uh-may-zing when it's done. Or rather, it'd be uh-may-zing if I had anything to do with it 😀

Lovely tho innit ? Yes it needs rebuilding but it'll be uh-may-zing when it's done. Or rather, it'd be uh-may-zing if I had anything to do with it 😀
Yep, as long as it was structurally sound, it'd be fine. Reminds me of that place Alan Carr and Amanda Holden did up on telly recently. In Italy I think. Absolute tip that they bought for a Euro.

Owning a bit of building either side of that archway would be cool - that's yer roof terrace leading to your spare room right there - and that courtyard could be fantastic.

Sadly not an option for us but let's not forget all the benefits of Brexit lol.

Reactions: izz
Back
Top Bottom