Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crap/Not Crap: The Cranberries

The Cranberries...

• Total voters

chilango

Hypothetical Wanker
They've been on heavy rotation in my house the last couple of days after binge watching Derry Girls. To the point of getting a bit choked up about Dolores's death.

Never cared for them at the time though. Had the 7" of Dreams soon forgot about them as heavier, faster, harder, cooler stuff came my way.

...but what a voice, and some decent tunes to boot.

They've been on heavy rotation in my house the last couple of days after binge watching Derry Girls. To the point of getting a bit choked up about Dolores's death.

Never cared for them at the time though. Had the 7" of Dreams soon forgot about them as heavier, faster, harder, cooler stuff came my way.

Oh chilango. Hear that? That's middle age calling....

Wang Fei's version of Dreams was the nearest thing there was to alternative music when I lived in China.

(Not totally true, there was a punk scene in Beijing, but out of the music you'd normally hear in bars there it was quite good).

Took me a second to realise Wang Fei is Faye Wong's Mandarin name - her version elevates the Cranberries to 'not crap' fo rme.

There is a definite emotional and nostalgic link between their music and a period of my life

Never purchased their music but no complaints here

The obvious derail, but Derry Girls is one of the funniest things on in recent years. I've watched it 3 times and each time, for me, it gets funnier. Watch Orla when she is in the background and she's still doing odd things.

The obvious derail, but Derry Girls is one of the funniest things on in recent years. I've watched it 3 times and each time, for me, it gets funnier. Watch Orla when she is in the background and she's still doing odd things.
When it comes out (not sure when that'll be -- saw it at the LFF), you should go and see Our Ladies (based on Alan Warner's The Sopranos). The director (Michael Caton Jones) reckoned the makers of Derry Girls tried to buy the film rights from him and when he refused to sell, they created Derry Girls as a rip off and transposed the Scottish setting to NI, even using the name Orla for the main character. No idea if that's true or not but... 🤷‍♀️

When it comes out (not sure when that'll be -- saw it at the LFF), you should go and see Our Ladies (based on Alan Warner's The Sopranos). The director (Michael Caton Jones) reckoned the makers of Derry Girls tried to buy the film rights from him and when he refused to sell, they created Derry Girls as a rip off and transposed the Scottish setting to NI, even using the name Orla for the main character. No idea if that's true or not but... 🤷‍♀️

Orla is an Irish name..
From Orflaith.

Orla is an Irish name..
From Orflaith.
Yes, I know. The book is by a Scottish writer/set in Scotland and based around a load of girls at a Catholic school so not massively surprising that there're Irish names floating about. In the same way as at my school in Scotland, there were various Grainnes and Aines and Siobhans and loads of O' surnames.

Last edited:
Never liked them I’m afraid. My band turned down a support slot with them in Sheffield about 1993 - not because we’d heard them at this point but because the guy who offered us the slot was a shady fella with a reputation for stiffing bands out of their cash. When I did hear them after they got famous her voice really annoyed me. Very sorry she died way before her time though.

Yep, that's the one I know, going to watch that whole movie again sometime soon.
It's one if my favourite films though I haven't watched it in a decade. I first saw it so long ago I originally thought it was a Japanese film because the only words I recognised were 'moshi moshi' at the beginning.

Never liked them I’m afraid. My band turned down a support slot with them in Sheffield about 1993 - not because we’d heard them at this point but because the guy who offered us the slot was a shady fella with a reputation for stiffing bands out of their cash. When I did hear them after they got famous her voice really annoyed me. Very sorry she died way before her time though.

The shady guy was connected to the Cranberries?
Or someone you knew?

oh really, I loved The Sopranos and the follow up The Stars In The Bright Sky. Alan Warner is one of my favourite authors. Must check that out when it comes out.

Reactions: Sue
For those who don't like them, do you have any appreciation for Zombie? It comes close to making me cry in some parts and then it changes to anger, which feels a lot healthier. Music doesn't often work on me as well as this does. And although it's partly the topic, and somewhat the singing, it's the guitar too.

It was the promoter from the venue - nothing to do with the band. We’d been burned in the past.
Whoa - that was unexpected :(

(One of my dubious claims to fame was that my band were offered a support slot with the Cranberries in Sheffield (about ‘92) when they were still obscure but turned it down since the invite came from our ex-guitarist who we weren’t well disposed towards at the time. Tenuous I know...)
Ah I thought it might have been the person you mention in your post on the RIP thread.

Back
Top Bottom