Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cover behind the goal

Alex W

During the recent fan forum, Ben mentioned that the club was now open to the idea of introducing some cover behind the goal to improve the atmosphere and provide shelter during poor weather. It was suggested that it might even be possible to have this in place for the start of the season (though, of course, no promises were made).

There's no doubt been many other things for the people running the club to focus on over the past month or so, but I was wondering if there was any update on this? baleboy_93 Ben Clasper

Ben Clasper made it very clear that it will be proper cover and not an ugly piece of scaffolding like at Welling Utd.
Some of the scaffolding stands I've seen have been fine. Certainly better than no cover at all. I still don't quite understand why I was repeatedly told that there was no point putting up any cover because the new ground would be coming soon but then - WOOOSH! - a massive covered stand appeared for the bar.

I'm less concerned with cover behind the goal than cover in front of it. Apologies if I've missed a signing recently but... these are for sale on ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_160621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_160621_Chrome.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 8
Some of the scaffolding stands I've seen have been fine. Certainly better than no cover at all. I still don't quite understand why I was repeatedly told that there was no point putting up any cover because the new ground would be coming soon but then - WOOOSH! - a massive covered stand appeared for the bar.
So Welling’s scaffold stand cover is no more, one match we had under that. Still think we must be able to come up with something better. BTW just to settle an old Q&A, the outside bar was erected at pace when we were informed that football may start post covid with zero indoor access and so if we wanted to cater for crowds it would have to be under an open air equivalent of our bar (see many other restaurants and bars in Southwark). That cover was not cheap and was to be compliant during a covid period in the expectation that the indoor stadium would be a no go zone. It was not to add bars but to replace existing ones.

So Welling’s scaffold stand cover is no more, one match we had under that. Still think we must be able to come up with something better. BTW just to settle an old Q&A, the outside bar was erected at pace when we were informed that football may start post covid with zero indoor access and so if we wanted to cater for crowds it would have to be under an open air equivalent of our bar (see many other restaurants and bars in Southwark). That cover was not cheap and was to be compliant during a covid period in the expectation that the indoor stadium would be a no go zone. It was not to add bars but to replace existing ones.
Thanks Ben. I suspect most fans are probably in agreement with you that Welling's rickety scaffold stand cover is not something we'd necessarily want, and I know you personally had safety concerns about something similar, so perhaps we can all now move on from that as an option.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the solutions the club are able to find.

Out of interest, what's the barrier to erecting a Toilet's Opposite style corrugated iron roof behind the goals - is it cost, a requirement for planning permission, or something else?

Thanks Ben. I suspect most fans are probably in agreement with you that Welling's rickety scaffold stand cover is not something we'd necessarily want, and I know you personally had safety concerns about something similar, so perhaps we can all now move on from that as an option.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the solutions the club are able to find.

Out of interest, what's the barrier to erecting a Toilet's Opposite style corrugated iron roof behind the goals - is it cost, a requirement for planning permission, or something else?
No barrier to doing anything, cost is a consideration but it something everyone wants so it is a priority. I guess my ideal, thinking forward to the new stadium, is something innovative and movable so we can use it here and there and stay within our compliance conditions.

There has to be an engineer among us.

Back
Top Bottom