Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crowdfunding a small covered stand at Dulwich Hamlet

There's a actually a very good covered stand at Champion Hill already but it's on the side so why not go under there for atmosphere.

I can hear it now "but we want to be behind the goal".
There is a reason why so many people choose to congregate behind the goal in all weathers and why almost all of the singing comes from there, you know.

Usually anything built using scaffold and corrugated iron in a football ground just looks cheap and naf, just doesn't give me the impression of a club that wants to go places, shows a certain lack of ambition.

If it worth doing, it's worth doing right i.e. like the toilets opposite. But with a new ground on the horizon it'll be a waste of £££

Usually anything built using scaffold and corrugated iron in a football ground just looks cheap and naf, just doesn't give me the impression of a club that wants to go places, shows a certain lack of ambition.
Wow. You read all that into a stand - even when the ground is packed full of people? How does a place with no cover whatsoever look like then?

As for the cost, who knows what options may be available if we just asked?

I'm not sure how big you're imagining this stand to be, but I'm not thinking it's going to be something that covers the entire end. But, there again, if it covered a narrow strip at the back there would still be plenty of room in front. Anyway, it's just an idea. I don't like standing in the rain myself and I know how much louder the crowd would be with even a rudimentary roof above our heads.

The narrower the stand the bigger the effect though as people squash in there.

I think you'd find that rather than the singers being amplified by the roof they'd be more likely to be pushed out further to the side. You already see people getting into the spots behind the goal right at the start of half time (where are they in the first half btw?:confused:) and they're not the people who are singing because they're down the other end.

The narrower the stand the bigger the effect though as people squash in there.

I think you'd find that rather than the singers being amplified by the roof they'd be more likely to be pushed out further to the side. You already see people getting into the spots behind the goal right at the start of half time (where are they in the first half btw?:confused:) and they're not the people who are singing because they're down the other end.
I'm glad you seem to know exactly how the crowd would react and change to the presence of a roof.

That's my view based on being a regular part of that crowd. Hence the use of 'I think.'

Anyway I've given my view - if you're going to get excessively defensive about being politely disagreed with I'm bowing out.
It's OK, I've already been ground down by the negativity. It was just an idea to explore that I believe would make the match day experience more enjoyable.

According to some Clapton Supporters I was with over the weekend, it cost around £1500 with concrete pour included. Not a huge amount, but unsure if that could be replicated at DH. I'm with editor - I think some cover would be excellent for both weather and atmosphere, but all dependant on time scale for new stadium - anyone?

It's OK, I've already been ground down by the negativity. It was just an idea to explore that I believe would make the match day experience more enjoyable.

In principle it's a great idea, but the roof needs to the freestanding like the toilets opposite and we ain't going to have 2 x stands like that given the current club plans. Unfortunately a scaffold roof with poles everywhere is only going to make behind the goals way more packed than it already is given the current crowds.

To be honest ...I've already got a couple of chairs and this ordered for our new executive club on the roof of the megacontainer, so I'm sorted.

images

It looks better than a cheap stand.

I think the point is that it would be a lot of effort and, potentially, money for probably minimal benefit given it will probably be knocked down in a few years whether because of a new ground or because we don't have one.

It's a good idea as long as it's not a waste of money. Are there any firm timescales on a new stadium? Even if it's a couple of years away then a bit of cover would be cool for those two years.

It's a good idea as long as it's not a waste of money. Are there any firm timescales on a new stadium? Even if it's a couple of years away then a bit of cover would be cool for those two years.
It might even be that there could be a donor who could provide something half decent for next to nothing. Or perhaps not. Either way, I'm failing to see the harm in exploring these options.

The FIRST thing you'd need to do is see if the owners want anything like this to happen. without their agreement you're wasting your time..indeed would end up with the proverbial egg on your face, if you go making enquiries, someone gets 'no board' with you, all for it to hit a brick wall.

The FIRST thing you'd need to do is see if the owners want anything like this to happen. without their agreement you're wasting your time..indeed would end up with the proverbial egg on your face, if you go making enquiries, someone gets 'no board' with you, all for it to hit a brick wall.

I think we all know we'd have to go through the proper channels, as opposed to turning up with a van full of scaff and corrugated iron. I'd have assumed the point of this thread is to see if there is any support for it, before contacting the relevant people at the club.

It does all come down to the timeframe of the new ground though really, anyone got an inkling to how long that would be? or would be kind enough to give us a rundown of where we are in the process?

A number of fans already do...because it's too crowded behind the goal. Imagine how many more would 'migrate' when loads try to crush under the proposed cover, and with sccaffold supports blocking views further...& you can bet your bottom dollar that some of those who cry out for cover will still not stand under it, but at the front of it, like at most away games.

Unless there's a camera present of course.

I think it would be a good addition and I'd support any crowdfunding if the idea moves ahead. I nevertheless agree it probably wouldn't be occupied by singers in the second half with the current numbers turning up.

Or maybe we could just informally float the idea around and see what possibilities rise up because - who knows - what gets suggested may prove to be very attractive to the new owners and fans alike.

Yeah, I know. Damn my upbeat positivity!

Last edited:
I'd have thought an attempt to improve the amount of raised terraced area would be more beneficial to supporter experience in the short term. Either by widening the existing or adding a couple more steps if possible, particularly for the 2nd half.

I've no idea how much low grade concrete would cost to do this, but I imagine we wont be moving ground for 2 seasons at least, and with the attendances ever increasing, ensuring people can actually see the game has got to be a priority.

But on topic, a covered area would be a great addition if feasible.

I'd have thought an attempt to improve the amount of raised terraced area would be more beneficial to supporter experience in the short term. Either by widening the existing or adding a couple more steps if possible, particularly for the 2nd half.

I've no idea how much low grade concrete would cost to do this, but I imagine we wont be moving ground for 2 seasons at least, and with the attendances ever increasing, ensuring people can actually see the game has got to be a priority.

But on topic, a covered area would be a great addition if feasible.
I'd definitely go along with that too. I know that any improvements are only going to be temporary because of the new ground, but if new fans come along to a game in the winter and can't even see the pitch (or stay dry) then they may not return. At the moment we're on a roll with attendances and I think anything that can be done to improve the experience right now has to be seen as an investment for the future.

Cover behind the goal would be great: although as previous posts indicate, you'd think more likely with a new ground.
PLUS: if we really wanted to, we could simply use the TO stand :)

Editor, nothing wrong at all with floating this, as many years ago there was a Raise the Roof campaign for more-or-less exactly the same. To be fair, I then went on my ten year sabbatical, so no idea where any funds were re-directed.

Fuck it, I'm game for a score.

Once it's gone through the proper channels (whatever they are), once it's got a safety certificate, once the specious bureaucratic have ummed and errrred....perhaps then the fundraising could go 'live.'

A roof would clearly aid the atmosphere, and atmosphere aids the players, which aids results. Maybe there's an algorithm out there which describes the benefit, vis a vis points, of each square metre of roof provided....?

And it would keep some of us dry.

Cover behind the goal would be great: although as previous posts indicate, you'd think more likely with a new ground.
PLUS: if we really wanted to, we could simply use the TO stand :)

Editor, nothing wrong at all with floating this, as many years ago there was a Raise the Roof campaign for more-or-less exactly the same. To be fair, I then went on my ten year sabbatical, so no idea where any funds were re-directed.
That was slightly scandalous. I seem to recall a price increase was justified as all additional funds were intended to go towards cover. My dad had the right hump for ages about it. I am happy to be corrected on this if my memory is a wry but pretty sure that was the case.

All a long time ago, can't recall the price increase, but you're probably right.
The aim was a 'pie in the sky' one as we had to have cover behind the goal back then to satisfy Conference ground gradings, and the year when we were good enough for the title, and challenged for it, the year Hayes won it, think we finished only six points behind them, in third or fourth, or something? a few grand was raised, but most of it went on planning/architects & the actual ground grading application to see what work had to be done...and once we were told we wouldn't go up that season there was very little ill & money left from we'd raised, to keep the idea going.
Again, from vague memory, I think what little was left was used to subsidise supporters coaches to an FA Cup tie at Newport (Isle of Wight); but am happy to stand corrected on all of that.

All a long time ago, can't recall the price increase, but you're probably right.
The aim was a 'pie in the sky' one as we had to have cover behind the goal back then to satisfy Conference ground gradings, and the year when we were good enough for the title, and challenged for it, the year Hayes won it, think we finished only six points behind them, in third or fourth, or something? a few grand was raised, but most of it went on planning/architects & the actual ground grading application to see what work had to be done...and once we were told we wouldn't go up that season there was very little ill & money left from we'd raised, to keep the idea going.
Again, from vague memory, I think what little was left was used to subsidise supporters coaches to an FA Cup tie at Newport (Isle of Wight); but am happy to stand corrected on all of that.

Interesting alternate history question there - what do you think would have happened if Dulwich had been promoted to the Conference (as was) and got the ground grading? Might there have been a similar spike in local interest to the one seen over the last few years and, if so, could that have sustained the club at Level 5 for long enough for them to have (for example) attracted investment and even challenged for a Football League place?

Interesting alternate history question there - what do you think would have happened if Dulwich had been promoted to the Conference (as was) and got the ground grading? Might there have been a similar spike in local interest to the one seen over the last few years and, if so, could that have sustained the club at Level 5 for long enough for them to have (for example) attracted investment and even challenged for a Football League place?
I do love a good football counterfactual. Here's Isthmian champions from around that time, which is a mixed bag of reaching the Football League and disaster:
upload_2015-12-17_10-51-52.png

Back
Top Bottom