Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Commentators unnecessarily spoiling results

kabbes

First intersubjective, then internalised
Given that so many sports are on at unsociable hours, clearly a lot of people are going to end up wanting to watch them on catch up. Given this, I am finding it unforgivable that BBC commentators are casually giving away results that aren’t even in the sport they are commenting on. An example just now was Steve Cram during the women’s 800m semi-final, who unnecessarily gave away the result of the triathlon that had happened at 3am and that I’d planned to watch this afternoon. There was simply no need for him to do this, it was just thoughtlessness. For all the good it does, I’ve complained to the BBC. If it bothers you too, I’d encourage you to do the same and who knows? Maybe the message will get through.

Eurosport has streams with no commentary, just stadium noise, or just turn the sound down. You don't really need commentary for track and field because unlike the judged sports it's pretty obvious what's happening.

It’s a helpful suggestion, but finding a stream is not as simple as just switching on the live BBC coverage. Besides, my complaint is still just as valid — why do I have to avoid the national broadcaster that I have a licence for just because their commentators are too thoughtless to think that people might want to watch other things later?

Eurosport has streams with no commentary, just stadium noise, or just turn the sound down. You don't really need commentary for track and field because unlike the judged sports it's pretty obvious what's happening.
I'm watching Eurosport for this reason. They seem to only comment on what they're showing.

It’s a helpful suggestion, but finding a stream is not as simple as just switching on the live BBC coverage. Besides, my complaint is still just as valid — why do I have to avoid the national broadcaster that I have a licence for just because their commentators are too thoughtless to think that people might want to watch other things later?

At a guess it's because they've already screened these events, unlike say football highlights where they haven't previously screened them and don't mention the score beforehand. Perhaps they assume that people who are really interested would have watched the overnight coverage, and they don't want to ban talk of past events indefinitely until people have bothered to catch up on iPlayer, because they'd have problems running out of stuff to say in the studio.

At a guess it's because they've already screened these events, unlike say football highlights where they haven't previously screened them and don't mention the score beforehand. Perhaps they assume that people who are really interested would have watched the overnight coverage, and they don't want to ban talk of past events indefinitely until people have bothered to catch up on iPlayer, because they'd have problems running out of stuff to say in the studio.
Do you think that’s a good enough excuse?

It’s not even the studio though. This was Steve Cram saying it during the 800m semi-final, just in idle passing. Utterly unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom