Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Colston statue replacement

Looks great, is it based on a photo from the day or did she pose for it separately?
Both. The artist saw the photo, got her to come in and pose per the photo, and did a 3-D capture job on her, then used the data to print sections of the statue on a 3-D printer, which were then used to cast the resin.

I'm 100% certain that some bunch of right-wing thugnutters WILL decide to topple it, and expect to get away with it.

With any luck, it'll be 4 fat pissed middle-aged blokes, whose plans will fail at the first hurdle...that of hauling 20 stone of lardarse far enough up the statue to be able to pull it down, and they'll end up yelling racist abuse while clutching cans of cheap lager, and picking a fight with the police. Also, Brexit.

My partner said it looked like a statue of a young woman that a middle aged man would make, which hadn't occurred to me.

It's not terrible but there is a whole problem of statues venerating individuals anyway - it was a bunch of people who pulled down the statue on the day and they were standing on the shoulders of the campaigners who had been at it for years... it is a good placeholder as existentialist said.

My partner said it looked like a statue of a young woman that a middle aged man would make, which hadn't occurred to me.

It's not terrible but there is a whole problem of statues venerating individuals anyway - it was a bunch of people who pulled down the statue on the day and they were standing on the shoulders of the campaigners who had been at it for years... it is a good placeholder as existentialist said.
It's more of a record of a moment - the moment of the previous occupant's removal (edit: and I suppose the wider BLM movement) - than venerating an individual isn't it though? I quite like that it's just a statue of a random woman who was involved in the protests than some leader.

It's more of a record of a moment - the moment of the previous occupant's removal - than venerating an individual isn't it though? I quite like that it's just a statue of a random woman who was involved in the protests than some leader.

Well I doubt that she was selected randomly by the middle aged posh male artist.

And it will increase her profile as a face of the protests. Not that this is her fault.

But yeah it is not a terrible thing, as a temporary measure.

Well I doubt that she was selected randomly by the middle aged posh male artist.

And it will increase her profile as a face of the protests. Not that this is her fault.

But yeah it is not a terrible thing, as a temporary measure.
no of course - he selected her because he liked the photo of her that went viral - I suppose the reason it went viral and the reason he liked it will of course have a male gaze element to it... but it is a striking image nonetheless.

democratic use of space
What does that mean in practice though? A ballot of local people - unlikely. The Bristol Mayor urging a democratic decision probably means a vote by 'democratically elected' councillors, either a full council vote or a council sub-committee, advised by council officials.

Thomas J Price makes some good points in this Guardian piece.

Thomas J Price, who has been commissioned to create a sculpture dedicated to the Windrush Generation, accused Quinn of creating a “votive statue to appropriation”.

“Unfortunately, it feels like an opportunistic stunt,” Price told the Guardian. “I think it would be far more useful if white artists confronted ‘whiteness’ as opposed to using the lack of black representation in art to find relevance for themselves.”

Price added that he understood the positive responses to the piece, which was modelled on the figure of Jen Reid who was photographed protesting on top of the empty plinth, but he believed Quinn’s work ultimately failed.

Price said he feels the Quinn piece could “overshadow any permanent sculpture”, and therefore hinder “real progress during a moment of activism that should have showcased a black artist’s output, not that of a white cis man”.

What does that mean in practice though? A ballot of local people - unlikely. The Bristol Mayor urging a democratic decision probably means a vote by 'democratically elected' councillors, either a full council vote or a council sub-committee, advised by council officials.
you ask the wrong question, not what does it mean in practice but what should it mean in practice

and in practice it should not be up to the bigwigs whose forbears erected the statue but up to the actual demos, the people of bristol.

Thomas J Price makes some good points in this Guardian piece.

Thomas J Price, who has been commissioned to create a sculpture dedicated to the Windrush Generation, accused Quinn of creating a “votive statue to appropriation”.

“Unfortunately, it feels like an opportunistic stunt,” Price told the Guardian. “I think it would be far more useful if white artists confronted ‘whiteness’ as opposed to using the lack of black representation in art to find relevance for themselves.”

Price added that he understood the positive responses to the piece, which was modelled on the figure of Jen Reid who was photographed protesting on top of the empty plinth, but he believed Quinn’s work ultimately failed.

Price said he feels the Quinn piece could “overshadow any permanent sculpture”, and therefore hinder “real progress during a moment of activism that should have showcased a black artist’s output, not that of a white cis man”.
points which you could read here instead of in the guardian

My first reaction to seeing a statue of a black woman protestor in the place of one of a slave owner was positive, but I did feel a bit unconfirmed about the process of it getting there. Quinn should've made the sculpture and gifted it to a Bristol- based BLM group, explaining he wanted to chip in the best way he could, and that they could display it or sell it - how've they consider it would best help the cause. And/or offered to e.g. fund a sculpture project by local black artists.

My first reaction to seeing a statue of a black woman protestor in the place of one of a slave owner was positive, but I did feel a bit unconfirmed about the process of it getting there. Quinn should've made the sculpture and gifted it to a Bristol- based BLM group, explaining he wanted to chip in the best way he could, and that they could display it or sell it - how've they consider it would best help the cause. And/or offered to e.g. fund a sculpture project by local black artists.
Nah. It was the gesture that mattered here, not specifically the statue, and as such, I think it has achieved what it set out to do.

And I think Bristol City Council has played a blinder. If that statue had remained, it would have become a focus for the far right, and would also have ended up in the dock, too. As it is, they've quietly taken it down, with no posturing or drama, treated it with respect, and said "come and get your statue".

A point has been made, and quite nicely, by both the BLM side, and by BCC.

Nah. It was the gesture that mattered here, not specifically the statue, and as such, I think it has achieved what it set out to do.

And I think Bristol City Council has played a blinder. If that statue had remained, it would have become a focus for the far right, and would also have ended up in the dock, too. As it is, they've quietly taken it down, with no posturing or drama, treated it with respect, and said "come and get your statue".

A point has been made, and quite nicely, by both the BLM side, and by BCC.

The point wasn't made by "the BLM side" or local people, though. But by someone from outside the community imposing his vision on it.

Back
Top Bottom