Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Classical music...

Composer and youtuber Samuel Andreyev has just put out a video discussing John Cage's Concerto for Prepared Piano and Chamber Orchestra. I'm aware of Cage's prepared piano pieces which are really very pretty and this has wetted my appetite so that's my thing for today.

Faure's Requiem 'In Paradisum'
I chose this to play at the end of the funeral service of my mum...
It has become ubiquitous of course but it is such a beautiful piece of music (might want it at my funeral - either that or Waterloo Sunset) :)
If you get a moment - listen to all of Gabriel Faure's Requiem.....

Last edited:

A perfectly matched animation for Schubert's deeply sinister Erl-King. A terrifying night flight of a father and his child, racing at speed through the forest, pursued by a demonic figure of myth The father fears for his child but is no match for the seductive whispering of awful erl-king. Hurtles along in a frenzy of queasy panic.

Last edited:
Requiem, Fauré. Sylvia McNair, Thomas Allen, and the academy from St Martin's in the Field.

I'd forgotten how incredibly good it is.

I've been listening to works by Australian Peter Gundry for the past few years..
Check him out for his other compositions - amazed he has not been signed up for top mainstream films..

I had the rather amazing experience of an intense and pretty good amateur performance of Bruckner's 5th symphony last Saturday by the Surbiton Symphony Orchestra under Peter le Tissier. Weather to freeze the balls off - but definitely a performance to charm the soul in Surbiton of all the iconic London suburbs!
I can't offer a Youtube vtd of the SSO obviously - but 1985 TV recording from Munich gives a slight idea.
Celibidache, the conductor here seems to have been rather eccentric. Made very few recording (LP or CD) but did a lot of TV.
He appears to favour SLOW - which may account for the high esteem he is held in by Bruckner fans.
Peter le Tissier - the Surbiton conductor also did slow, but not as slow as this.
Also his (live) sound quality was 100% better than ZDF, or whoever did this tape

I had the rather amazing experience of an intense and pretty good amateur performance of Bruckner's 5th symphony last Saturday by the Surbiton Symphony Orchestra under Peter le Tissier. Weather to freeze the balls off - but definitely a performance to charm the soul in Surbiton of all the iconic London suburbs!
I can't offer a Youtube vtd of the SSO obviously - but 1985 TV recording from Munich gives a slight idea.
Celibidache, the conductor here seems to have been rather eccentric. Made very few recording (LP or CD) but did a lot of TV.
He appears to favour SLOW - which may account for the high esteem he is held in by Bruckner fans.
Peter le Tissier - the Surbiton conductor also did slow, but not as slow as this.
Also his (live) sound quality was 100% better than ZDF, or whoever did this tape

It took me a long time to get into Bruckner, but a youth orchestra I was in (in Stoneleigh as it happens, just down the Epsom road from Surbiton) did at least one of his symphonies, and I grew to quite like it. It was a hard play, though, as I recall.

Big fan of Messiaen's Ondes Martinot pieces. Oraison is probably of particular interest as it forms the basis of that section of the Quatour Pour La Fin Du Temps above.

Here's an Ondes Martinot version

Here's an arrangement for string quartet by the Dudok Quartet Amsterdam and it's an excellent performance IMHO, with lots of vibrato and dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom