Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Claiming on travel insurance if holiday cut short due to death.

Numbers

an ting!
I can't check the insurance policy cos it's on my work personal drive so a question if I may.

Recently Mrs Numbers and I had a 2 week trip to Greece, a few days in my Dad died so we cut the holiday short, we only had 4 nights out of 14 - we paid a fair old bit for the 2 weeks so anything we can claw back would be great.

Is this something (the 10 days we missed out on) one would normally be able to claim on/back?

I know it's all about the provider, I get my insurance through work and it's pretty comprehensive, I just can't check at the minute.

Bahnhof Strasse

Of course it will depend on the policy, but normally travel insurance will reimburse for lost holiday due to death of a close family member, will also cover additional costs you had to get home. Contact them, they will want a copy of the death certificate and evidence of your relationship.

When my dad died a few days before I was due to go on holiday the insurance paid out for the cost of the holiday but they did ask me to get a letter from his doctor to confirm he wasn't 'expected' to die when I booked the holiday.

I think by 'expected' they were looking to see if he had a terminal illness where the prognosis would suggest he was likely to die around the time I took my holiday.

Sorry for your trouble Numbers. I've never had a travel insurance policy that didn't cover death of a close family member.

Back
Top Bottom