Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cindy Sheehan Arrested for Wearing T-Shirt

Good for her at least she stands up for what she believes in.

They're a bunch of cunts aren't they? :mad:

The thing that got me was that it was only a fucking T-shirt. How can anyone be threatened by a T-shirt? Its bizarre and completely unnecessary.

above link said:
The T-shirt bore the words “2,245 Dead — How Many More??” in reference to the number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq, protesters told NBC News.
And they say they love freedom :rolleyes: :mad:

well, she had it coming. you can't say things like that. you might offend someone. clearly a crime.

bluestreak said:
well, she had it coming. you can't say things like that. you might offend someone. clearly a crime.

51% agree with you!! :eek:

Live Vote said:
Live Vote
Do you agree with the decision by Capitol Police to remove activist Cindy Sheehan from the gallery at the president's State of the Union speech because she was wearing a T-shirt with an antiwar slogan? * 86571 responses

Yes, such behavior is not allowed in that setting and is inappropriate.
51%

No, she was a legitimately invited guest and deserves to have her right to free speech honored.
49%

Radar said:
Hell, you seen the poll MSN have up. 51% say she was wrong :eek:

OK, not all necessarily Americans.
I don't think she was wrong to highlight how many US soldiers have died in Iraq, the banning of her from the gallery shows that the Republican party are scared of a public debate on the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war :eek:
Seeing that the US have voted for Bush twice the fact that 51% were in favour of this doesn't suprise me :(

They threw the wife of a senator out too. :D

Cindy Sheehan, mother of a fallen soldier in Iraq, wasn’t the only one ejected from the House gallery during the State of the Union address for wearing a T-shirt with a war-related slogan that violated the rules. The wife of a powerful Republican congressman was also asked to leave.

Beverly Young, wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young of Florida — chairman of the House Defense Appropriations subcommittee — was removed from the gallery because she was wearing a T-shirt that read, “Support the Troops — Defending Our Freedom.”

“Because she had on a shirt that someone didn’t like that said support our troops, she was kicked out of this gallery,” Young said on the House floor Wednesday morning, holding up the gray shirt.

“Shame, shame,” he scolded.

Mrs. Young was sitting about six rows from first lady Laura Bush and asked to leave. She argued with police in the hallway outside the House chamber.

“They said I was protesting,” she told the St. Petersburg Times. “I said, ‘Read my shirt, it is not a protest.’ They said, ‘We consider that a protest.’ I said, ‘Then you are an idiot.”’

How much you want to wager? I'm betting she was arrested for failure to co-operate/comply with a law enforcement officer rather than for wearing a certain shirt.

Don't get me wrong, either way it's total bullshit. But, the congressional chambers DO have a dress code ... like it or not.

The Old Sarge said:
How much you want to wager? I'm betting she was arrested for failure to co-operate/comply with a law enforcement officer rather than for wearing a certain shirt.

Don't get me wrong, either way it's total bullshit. But, the congressional chambers DO have a dress code ... like it or not.

A "dress code"...what? You mean like shirt, jacket and tie? That's a bit exclusive...isn't it?

nino_savatte said:
A "dress code"...what? You mean like shirt, jacket and tie? That's a bit exclusive...isn't it?

I can't quote it ... it's been too many years and the code was too long to even read all of it. And it's likely changed a bit over those years.

Suffice it to say, you have to be dressed neatly, not too casually, and in a "respectful manner." Whatever the hell that is.

The Old Sarge

The Old Sarge said:
I can't quote it ... it's been too many years and the code was too long to even read all of it. And it's likely changed a bit over those years.

Suffice it to say, you have to be dressed neatly, not too casually, and in a "respectful manner." Whatever the hell that is.

The Old Sarge

What if it's against your religion to wear say, a tie? What happens then? surely the rule should be relaxed for visitors. I'm not sure what it's like here but I don't think there is some hard and fast rule - unless someone could tell us. After all, Otis Ferry and his mob weren't exactly attired in 'business' dress when they crashed the Commons last year.

The Old Sarge said:

The Old Sarge

Land of the Free indeed...

The Old Sarge said:
Only took 23 posts and someone has finally found the weenie!

A couple of points here: This is the House Chamber and it operates according to House rules. This is a long-standing rule not unique to this President (who is in a different branch of government, anyway, and thus has no say in this rule) or to the Republican Party, who currently hold the majority. Sensible people can readily understand the value of a "no protest" rule. Otherwise there would need to be a thousand rules defining what is "acceptable" protest and you lot would scream yourselves purple about each and every one. Finally, the idea of there being absolutely no rules and thus "free speech", as the most childish here put it, is clearly a non-starter. Is there any legislature anywhere on Earth that conducts its business in the face of a braying, spewing mob of deranged leftists? Of course not.

Back
Top Bottom