Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chris Packham is it time to break the law?

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I love Chris Packham and agree with with almost everything he says.

This is about how we can challenge policies which ignore and exacerbate the climate crisis. Sunaks govt are making things worse.

Should we break the law to try to save our planet?

Sounds excellent viewing.

Stuck it on the UK climate thread krtek a houby. It was interesting; Packham is really good and comes across well (and very genuine and nice I think), Hallam was a bit shit, Malm much better, but was all quite vague and non-committal. But very much worth a watch and a sign of the times (and maybe of things changing?).

I love Chris Packham and agree with with almost everything he says.

This is about how we can challenge policies which ignore and exacerbate the climate crisis. Sunaks govt are making things worse.

Should we break the law to try to save our planet?
there is no choice since the government have made protest illegal

Stuck it on the UK climate thread krtek a houby. It was interesting; Packham is really good and comes across well (and very genuine and nice I think), Hallam was a bit shit, Malm much better, but was all quite vague and non-committal. But very much worth a watch and a sign of the times (and maybe of things changing?).
I missed this thread, but I’ve put the prog link on the JSO thread.

I thought it was well worth watching. I was pleased to see criticism of JSO being indiscriminate, although I’d have liked more clarity on direct action: ie targeting fossil fuels directly.

It is instructive that the very impressive Greta Thunburg was arrested for exactly that: directly targeting oil, not random public roads.

Just watched this tonight. Chris Packham is a good egg. Anyway, it was really interesting.That Hallam was annoying though, and only showed the utter poverty of his strategy, namely, his wouldn’t it be great if you got arrested as well schtick. The twat.

Just watched this tonight. Chris Packham is a good egg. Anyway, it was really interesting.That Hallam was annoying though, and only showed the utter poverty of his strategy, namely, his wouldn’t it be great if you got arrested as well schtick. The twat.
Indeed. It made me dislike him more.

Good programme. I think it could have done with more interviews with other people who’ve broken the law doing direct action in our lifetimes in the UK. It was good to mention the suffragettes and India and Apartheid. But that maybe made it seem a bit distant.
I think for terrestrial TV at prime time it was pretty good to raise the question at all. But yes, there were other points I’d have pursued.

This bit of TV and a long chat I had recently about another XR thing that looks like it might be starting (sounds like it's a Roger Hallam, Lee Jasper, Brian Eno project...) might push me to start a thread on climate strategies. We have plenty of threads, but not one on the actual strategies and plans about how any changes might be achieved.

It is instructive that the very impressive Greta Thunburg was arrested for exactly that: directly targeting oil, not random public roads.
And again
Greta Thunberg was arrested after joining hundreds of protesters who gathered at a five-star hotel in London on Tuesday morning to denounce a meeting branded “the Oscars of oil”.

Footage showed the Swedish climate activist being bundled into the back of a van by police after taking part in protests blocking the entrances of the InterContinental on Park Lane, the venue for the Energy Intelligence Forum (EIF), which brings together fossil fuel executives and government ministers.

I had LBC on in the car and Nick Ferrari was against it because it wasted police time when so many Londoners are feeling threatened because of what it is going on in the middle East. What a crock of shit.

And again

I had LBC on in the car and Nick Ferrari was against it because it wasted police time when so many Londoners are feeling threatened because of what it is going on in the middle East. What a crock of shit.
Well I agree that it was a waste of police time, but perhaps not with the same reasoning as Ferrari.

And again

Did you hear the interviewee who had been there, saying "But there were only 17 police and I think London has a lot more than 17 police". Ferrari moved swiftly on after that.

Back
Top Bottom