Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheapest train fare London -> Berlin return

editor

hiraethified
We've tried all the usual places but (man In Seat 61 etc) but whenever we get down to actuall trying to book a trip, the fare soars skywards.

Anyone got any tips/experiences?

I don't want to fly if I can help it, and yes, I know it's much cheaper etc etc.

We've tried all the usual places but (man In Seat 61 etc) but whenever we get down to actuall trying to book a trip, the fare soars skywards.

I don't want to fly if I can help it, and yes, I know it's much cheaper etc etc.

I can't help with specifics, but there's an internet rumour I've heard a few times which might be bollocks, but it's worth trying. It is explained like this:

When you go to a travel website to look up prices, and then go shop around before coming back, the cookie they've left alerts them that you're gonna book and so they know they're the cheapest already and therefore hike the price accordingly. Technically possible and makes good sense commercially...but does it really happen? No idea.

Browse the site in private/incognito mode when you're booking and then no cookies, so no price adjusting, etc.

Have you tried the Deutsche Bahn website? They sometimes have cheaper tickets if you can be flexible on your dates.

looks like eurostar to Brussels then book via http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml to Berlin. I don't know what your dates are, but websites are offering me return in 3 months time for E127 return (is ICE then dbahn, so extra change)- the price issue seems to be when you go for a sooner Eurostar as that is much, much more expensive

I was looking at this exact trip recently for a Friday to a Monday at the end of July. Couldn't find much less than 300 euros plus eurostar to Brussels.

Seat 61 talks about bargain fares but buggered if I could find any.

BA from Heathrow it is then

What I'd really like is to go on the hotel train.

Is that the 1st class one where you get a compartment to yourself with a shower? I did that once to go to a conference in Berlin. They 'forgot' to hitch the 1st class carriages on in Paris and I had to share a 6 man couchette from Brussels - Berlin. Not a great disaster, but not what I'd paid for.

Oh, and Bruxelles Central is a flea pit. Terrible place to hang around waiting for the connection.

When are you thinking of going? It's much cheaper if you book over 3 months in advance IME.

Snip>>

Oh, and Bruxelles Central is a flea pit. Terrible place to hang around waiting for the connection.
Pffff, it's not that bad. I've hung around much worse train stations.... Worksop was a standout, but Paris Nord late at night can be.... Interesting

I'm just booking to berlin now. I have to go by plane though sadly. If it takes longer than a couple of hours to get there I will be late or have to take time off work (that will cost more than the ticket price).

Is that the 1st class one where you get a compartment to yourself with a shower? I did that once to go to a conference in Berlin. They 'forgot' to hitch the 1st class carriages on in Paris and I had to share a 6 man couchette from Brussels - Berlin. Not a great disaster, but not what I'd paid for.

That's a bit harsh!

Back
Top Bottom