Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Central London photos - parks, buildings, street scenes and London life

Camden Town in the 30s. Not much has changed.

326042992_535819715248037_1993596781202342951_n.jpg

Aparently the bit in the middle used to be known as penguin island. The men in their black suits and white shirts would congregate there after church on a Sunday waiting to see which pub opened first.

Well in the photo is the Half Way House & The Old Mother Red Cap (now the Worlds End) & to the left is the Black Cap all within spitting distance. Don't recall a church close by?

Also united reformed on Kentish Town road.
It was also known as Penguin Island in the 50's or 60's so there may have been more churches then.

Aparently the bit in the middle used to be known as penguin island. The men in their black suits and white shirts would congregate there after church on a Sunday waiting to see which pub opened first.

without wishing to stereotype either church or pub-going habits of any particular nationality or denomination, i've found a reference or two to 'penguin island' being 'after mass' and I'd say that members of the congregation from Our Lady of Hal on Arlington Street may be the most likely bet...

There's a cracking selection of cafe photos from the 1980s here

oes-Cafe-Old-Kent-Rd-Peckham-Southwark-1989.jpeg

Josies-CAFE-Mantle-Rd-Brockley-Lewisham-1990.jpeg

Great pictures!
The Recession Cafe is an interesting one - I know Islington Green but I just can't place where it might have been.

even more here

heres one from a recent trip to essex from my private collection
IMG_20220703_203327.jpg

turn around 180 degrees and you get this view

IMG_20220703_212040.jpg

anyhow there are still a few oldskool net curtain caffs around
Electric in West Norwood springs to mind
image.jpg

Sadly Alpino in Chapel Market has just closed and moved, not that i particularly liked it in there, but it had a lot of character
1464449847_aa8920780f_o__1_.0.jpg

Good insta for caff fetishists

Last edited:
Talking of 80s London posted a lino to this photo book on the Hackney thread
Amazing pictures - bought the book as its pure nostalgia for me and the book is rammed full of photos

also an insta

This is from 1972... Had my first trip to London as a kid in 1975/76 so must have been pretty similar..

Think the highligt is the magazine racks at 1:09.

Year I was born.

Most people in that will be dead now. Timely reminder to get out there and seize the day and so on.

Love watching and seeing old stuff like this but the comments always bring out the worst people. (not on here I should add)

Back
Top Bottom