Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Celery and Carrots in Bolognase

DuckQuack'sEcho

More Cowbells No Vevezula
Now I've intentionally spelled it bolognase because that appears to be preferred to bolognaise in some circles. So pedant away if you will.

I don't chop up celery and carrot for bolognase. I just chop up onions.

What vegies do you use?

If I'm making a full 'proper' bolognese, as opposed to the lazy quicker option of tomatoey sauce with mince, then celery, carrot and onion provide the main base, along with garlic. It just adds a lot more depth to the flavour. I'm not a great fan of celery raw, but it's a fantastic ingredient for stews and stocks.

Both variations are nice enough, but it's worth making a huge batch of beefy, rich bolognese once in a while.

whatever's on hand

carrot, shallots, onion, mushroom, garlic, pepper, courgette...

never celery though :eek:

There are no vegetables other than onions in ragu, which seems to be what most people call Bolognese.

Slice garlic and simmer in oil, then remove and discard the garlic.
Bung in the onions, finely chopped.
Add the meat & brown it
Add the tomato sauce, wine & herbs.

Eat.

Some people add stock, which is obviously made with carrots, celery & onions, and reduce it down. Others, like me, keep it simple and simmer it with the lid on.

There are no vegetables other than onions in ragu, which seems to be what most people call Bolognese.

Eh, a soffrito based around onions, garlic and carrot is a common base for most ragus, particularly ragu bolognese ime.
:confused:

Can be made without it, just like a bolognese can be made without milk and nutmeg, but it's strange to flatly say no veg is involved

I grate some carrot into my spag bog and add celery (if I have it). Would never put mushrooms in though - that's really bad form.

Eh, a soffrito based around onions, garlic and carrot is a common base for most ragus, particularly ragu bolognese ime.
:confused:

Can be made without it, just like a bolognese can be made without milk and nutmeg, but it's strange to flatly say no veg is involved

Well I'm just going on how I've been shown how to make it by Italians and the odd local recipe book. I don't remember seeing anything called Bolognese in Bologna - just ragu - but it's probably been 10 years since I was up north.

Sauces like Putanesca use soffriti, and also loads of secondi, like involtini in sauce.

Spag Bol is one of the great Italian dishes bastardised around the world, and like pizza, it's probably best to try lots of different ways and decide which you like the best. Personally, my fave is how I described, with a 60/40 boar/pork mix and using white wine.

I forgot to mention, I use whole garlic pods as well as onion. I also forgot to mention I add mushrooms and black (Kalamati?) olives, pitted.

It's one of those recipes like pizza where there's kind of an italian version and an american one. The italian version has carrot and celery, white wine and often pancetta and chicken liver, and is usually a mix of beef and pork (sometimes veal) server with tagliatelle or similar. Then there's the american spag bol, which is a chilli con carne without the chilli but with red wine, as far as I can tell.

It's one of those recipes like pizza where there's kind of an italian version and an american one. The italian version has carrot and celery, white wine and often pancetta and chicken liver, and is usually a mix of beef and pork (sometimes veal) server with tagliatelle or similar. Then there's the american spag bol, which is a chilli con carne without the chilli but with red wine, as far as I can tell.

Yeah that's it I think

really really finely chopped celery, coarsely chopped tomatoes, chunky onions, grated or finely cubed carrots... mmmm.... bacon goes well in it as well if you're doing a meaty version :)

Celery is used depending on what part of Italy you come from?,but never{ carrots} chris my sons mate is Italian and a chef just told me, I know nothing about Italian cooking.

Maybe inauthentic, but seeing as I can't even be in the same kitchen as onions (once the skin is broken), I use a base of finely chopped & sweated garlic (for the savoury note), carrot (for the sweetness you'd get from an onion), celery (for the bulk an onion would provide), and then tomatoes added later on (after the meat).

Tomato, carrot and celery with added fresh basil, chilli, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper, all blended makes for a classic Napoli sauce.

Had some today, poured over spinach and ricotta stuffed cannelloni along with betchamel sauce :cool:

Now I've intentionally spelled it bolognase because that appears to be preferred to bolognaise in some circles. So pedant away if you will.

I don't chop up celery and carrot for bolognase. I just chop up onions.

What vegies do you use?

thats wrong, the spelling, the c_l_r_ and everything :eek:

Celery and carrot in bolognais is just ick!

I am not a fan of cooked celery any way.

Carrots just make it seem more like a tomato based stew...

... which I guess it kind of is.... but its still wrong :mad:

Back
Top Bottom