Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Castlemorton 1992 - 25 years ago today

Short bit from Alan Lodge in the Guardian yesterday

I'm glad ypu linked to that -- spared me bothering :D

Alan 'Tash' Lodge's Traveller and Festival photography from 'back in the day' is amazing -- I've been in friendly correspondence about it with him, in the past! He was really nice! :cool:

Plenty archived here! With lots of non-festival stuff also included! :)

Short bit from Alan Lodge in the Guardian yesterday

Alanis will have something to say about this, that photo wasn't taken at Castlemorton, but at Lechlade over the Beltane weekend at the start of May that year...

Ground Elder this is for you mate:

I would dispute it only happened as a result of 'word of mouth', there was a massive police operation to prevent the travelers from holding a festival, a joint operation between four police forces - Devon & Cornwall, Dorset, Wiltshire, and Avon & Somerset, as the lead force running up to that weekend.

It was getting extensive coverage over several days on the regional TV news, lots of us in Taunton were following 'hippy watch' and hoping we were in for a great weekend, then the news broke, they had gone over the border into Worcestershire and as West Mercia police was not part of operation 'hippy watch' they were unprepared, and there was the regional TV news telling everyone where the site had been established.

As a result, thousands upon thousands of more ravers hit the road, we were there within a couple of hours of hearing and seeing it on the TV news, credit where credit is due! :D

I would dispute it only happened as a result of 'word of mouth', there was a massive police operation to prevent the travelers from holding a festival, a joint operation between four police forces - Devon & Cornwall, Dorset, Wiltshire, and Avon & Somerset, as the lead force running up to that weekend.

It was getting extensive coverage over several days on the regional TV news, lots of us in Taunton were following 'hippy watch' and hoping we were in for a great weekend, then the news broke, they had gone over the border into Worcestershire and as West Mercia police was not part of operation 'hippy watch' they were unprepared, and there was the regional TV news telling everyone where the site had been established.

As a result, thousands upon thousands of more ravers hit the road, we were there within a couple of hours of hearing and seeing it on the TV news, credit where credit is due! :D

BBC news told me where it was, was watching with my mum and she said, "Makes a change that I'll know where you'll be this weekend!"

Off to see the free party doc at Ritzy in Brixton in an hour or so.

Well looking forward to it.
Saw it the other night, quality! Not a bad crowd for Cardiff either, bet it will be fun in Ritzy, a few good laughs in it and great lovely people of course, enjoy!
Director joked in the Q+A after that it was his 32 of Castlemorton FOMO :D

Back
Top Bottom