Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carshalton Athletic v Hamlet (Isthmian League) Easter Monday 01.04.24 (3pm)

Pink Panther

One of our most local away games, and an easy one to get to from East Dulwich or Peckham Rye. Train to Tulse Hill, change there for the half hourly Thameslink service to Carshalton Station, which you can also pick up directly from Loughborough Junction or Herne Hill, and the ground is only a 5 minute walk from the station.

Carshalton are an attractive footballing side managed by former Hamlet promotion winning captain Peter Adeniyi and it's a 3G pitch, so no danger of a postponement if the wet weather returns.

All within a few hundred yards ..

The Hope

The Racehorse

The Railway Tavern

The Sun

Struggling to get motivated to go after yesterday… the more I think about the performance the more angry I get!
I think that’s me done for the season now, I can’t go on Monday for other reasons and if the team can’t motivate themselves for matches against Kingstonian and Billericay I don’t see why I should.

One of our most local away games, and an easy one to get to from East Dulwich or Peckham Rye. Train to Tulse Hill, change there for the half hourly Thameslink service to Carshalton Station, which you can also pick up directly from Loughborough Junction or Herne Hill, and the ground is only a 5 minute walk from the station.

Carshalton are an attractive footballing side managed by former Hamlet promotion winning captain Peter Adeniyi and it's a 3G pitch, so no danger of a postponement if the wet weather returns.
It's a decent ground with plenty of cover too.
Although they're tough on small children playing with misshapen footballs and tough on the causes of small children playing with misshapen footballs

Frantically searching for the relegation situation.

Anyone who goes the Hope and manages to remember leaving has done well.
It was the Hope where Dave Rogers and myself ended up drinking in the back garden with a local couple. As last orders approached they invited us back to their home to continue the drinks. We politely declined, this being suburbia and them giving off serious swinger vibes! 😂

A shame to fall away over the last five or so games, but there's been enough to enjoy this season to bode well for the next one. Ultimately a poor start and a lack of depth in some key areas that never got solved have meant we've likely fallen short.

Can't help but feeling the initial uncertainty over Hayrettin staying, which in turn delayed the overhaul of the squad, meant we started the season well behind the curve. Eight players from the opening day squad of 23 left during the course of the season, and we cycled through at least another seven players I can recall whilst the manager tried to find the right blend to suit his style. The squad was unbalanced throughout the season, top heavy with goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders at different points, but never with enough fit and firing forwards.

There's a decent core of 12 to 14 players who you'd hope could be retained, and supplemented with some younger and better quality players to form a stronger, better balanced squad for next year.

One other area that needs to be solved and that we haven't heard anything on for a while is getting the youth and / or reserve teams back in place. It's a huge handicap to not have any playing infrastructure outside of the first team at the manager's disposal over the course of a season, and I'd suggest we need that in place and working before we'd have any chance of making a fist of it at the next level, let alone this one.

Our last 5 league defeats had all been followed by a win in the next game, but after Saturday's late collapse against Billericay this was a step backwards. A flat, error ridden performance that could easily have resulted in a heavier defeat. It was our 4th game in 9 days (Carshalton had an extra day's rest after playing on Friday, while neither they nor Billericay had played last Tuesday) and we just looked to be running on empty.

We could have been behind after barely 60 seconds when an unmarked forward missed a chance that looked easier to score, and we were hanging on for most of a goalless first half before mustering a few chances of our own shortly before the break.

I expected us to be more competitive in the second half, but Carshalton took the lead when a tackle inside the box sent the ball away from goal, only for a forward to lash a ferocious shot high into the net from an angle. We never looked like equalising after that. Constable missed taking an overhit indirect free kick above his head, conceding a needless corner, and the next deadball delivery was headed home by an unmarked opponent from the edge of the six yard box. The third goal was an embarrassing mix up between Chambers and Constable, as our keeper advanced too far to receive a backpass that rolled past him into the net.

Our recent wins have owed much to tactical discipline and restricting our opponents to few real chances, but we were nowhere near that level today against an attractive and cohesive footballing side with some useful individuals, including three who have worn our colours. Dom Vose, playing against us for the third different opponents this season after stints with Hastings and Margate, found the time and speed to use his undoubted technical skills. Aaron Jones in goal seemed more troubled by a niggling leg injury that twice required treatment from the physio than by our attacking play. One time pre-season triallist Lexus Beeden ("the Japanese Mercedes") looked swift and sound at centre back.

The 4 teams already occupying the play-off places behind Hornchurch all won, so even a win for ourselves would have been of limited value with only 4 games left and several rivals having at least one game in hand.

I just hope we can regroup in time to give a good account of ourselves at home to Enfield on saturday, before we conclude the season with trips to Canvey Island and Folkestone, then Cray at home on the final day.

The Hope is a tremendous pub, the only error was deciding it needed the half-hearted performance of attending a football match to justify a visit.

Still, it's all just a warm-up for Wednesday night really.

It's quite an easy journey by train from East Dulwich, with a change at Tulse Hill. I've been there a few times solely for the pub, without attending a football match.

Back
Top Bottom