Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carling Cup final: Cardiff City vs Liverpool, Sunday, 26 February 2012

First and foremost thank you for the early birthday thread. Appreciated!

The final that the whole world wanted. It's going to be a good 'un. Bellamy must be a happy fella tonight. And Kenny's going to go Burn's Night crazy. :)

umm no, i would have had it the other way round. man city vs palace would have been my choice.

My only dilemma in this is which team do i detest least. The bin dippers or those nasty foreign hooligans. I think I might support city as liverpool losing to them would be funny and if Liverpool win they will probabley start claiming they are back and kenny is the messiah again. Especially as my money would be on them jamming a uefa cup next year.

dave

umm no, i would have had it the other way round. man city vs palace would have been my choice.

My only dilemma in this is which team do i detest least.
Well tough fucking titty. That isn't the game that's going to happen and I don't think anyone gives much of a fuck which team you 'detest the least.'

And Portsmouth only just scraped it. Had Bothroyd not limped off injured, it could have been a different story.

Besides, Wembley's like a home game to use now.

No predictions from until the United game is over, but I can say I'm quite confident about smashing Cardiff........:facepalm:

And Portsmouth only just scraped it. Had Bothroyd not limped off injured, it could have been a different story.

Besides, Wembley's like a home game to use now.
Bothroyd was not a Cardiff player when we played in the FA Cup Final, he joined after that

He went off v Blackpool in the 2010 PO Final and yes it defintely very badly affected us that day

As I have said on the semi-final thread I would have prefered Man City in the final had Palace made it as I think they are more likely to have an off-day against a lower league team in this sort of match, for all sorts of reasons and not least that for them this is just seen as a diversion from the main objective.

Where as for Liverpool, well this is probably as good as it gets this season and they will put everything into it.

Reckon Liverpool could win this by 3 goals BUT if Cardiff get in early and hard and look to disrupt them rather than out-play them then they could do it. Cardiff struck me as team with a solid midfield and an ability to pass the ball about a bit so stop Liverpool in the midfield and then hit them on the break and an upset could be on the cards.

Fuck: I thought I was getting a ticket but it's not looking so good now. Can anyone sort one out for me?

Only just coming up for air after Tuesday, but in lieu of a proper match report, here's my unbiased abridged ;) two penn'orth.

We abso-fucking-lutely battered Palace for 120 minutes, it could quite easily have been 7-0 - I blame luck more than profligacy as I cannot even begin to contemplate criticising this wonderful team.

Palace were played off the park, chasing shadows, gasping in awe at our isosceles triangles - their midfield was consumed by ours. McPhail was cool and measured in the Whitts role in front of the back four, Whittingham himself was positively levitating above the ground, such was his majesty in possession, precision in passing and lethal dead-ball delivery. Our so-called Achilles' heel at the back (incoming triumvirate Heaton, Blake and Gerrard) sizzled with confidence and accomplishment.

Zaha and Clyne threatened sporadically for Palace, but was there ever a moment when they threatened to score? I think not. Ambrose was invisible, Speroni impressive, the big-boned, blunt and brutal defence attempted to kick us up in the air all night, but failed to intimidate our gallant boys.

Dougie Freedman's hilarious mind games blew up spectacularly and gloriously in his face. This Cardiff City side have a backbone of solid titanium and bollocks which need transporting in wheelbarrows. I never doubted for a moment (ahem) that we would fail in the penalty shoot-out, even after King Kenny ballooned his first effort into Row Z.

Palace fans were amongst the rowdiest ever to visit Cardiff City Stadium and contributed to a super-rocking atmosphere.

Onwards and upwards to Wembley (again) and if Liverpool exhibit just a sliver of over-confidence and complacency they may very well find themselves applauding the boys in blue as they ascend the steps to collect the Cup! :eek:

...and for the record, vis a vis some of the comments in the thread above:

i) we do have a drum, and yes, it is shit
ii) we did hear "goal music" as Gardner nodded past Speroni - almost drowned out by the explosion of noise, but it was there... :facepalm:
iii) not for the first time, Ali did indulge in some rather embarrassing cheerleading - your ears did not deceive you!
iv) yet again, the bombastic barrage of music just before kick-off, at half-time, and at the end of the match threatened to kill the atmos. Why can't we allow the competing fans to ratchet up the decibel count - as they did more than adequately as soon as the Tannoy went dead?

Aside from that, it's all good! That London here we come...

Back
Top Bottom