Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can you recommend me a good horror film?

Ju on and dark water are laughable horror films, utter low rent zero scares shite.

The original 'One Missed Call' (Chakushin Ari) Directed by Miike Takashi is the best Japanese Horror I have seen.

Boring ! And no matter how often you repeat that one, you (and your wife) are pretty much on your own with that opinion.

One Missed Call was one that ripped off all the superior ones that came before (like the ones you slate). It's like a "Best Of" compilation without a single original bone in its body, lurching from one J-horror cliche to the next.

But then I don't worship at the altar of Miike Takashi no matter what. I think many of his films are rather poor.

Boring ! And no matter how often you repeat that one, you (and your wife) are pretty much on your own with that opinion.

One Missed Call was one that ripped off all the superior ones that came before (like the ones you slate). It's like a "Best Of" compilation without a single original bone in its body, lurching from one J-horror cliche to the next.

But then I don't worship at the altar of Miike Takashi no matter what. I think many of his films are rather poor.

There are shit ones, but I am afraid I am a big fan. Not seen anything good come from him in a long while though. Sukiyaki Western Django should have been amazing but was really very poor.

I really liked One Missed Call. I liked it a lot, I will maybe give it another airing.
I really can't understand why Dark Water and Ju-on are rated so highly, really really really terrible films.

It's just a bit odd when someone recommends two of the five most seminal new wave J-horror films (Ringu, Kairo and Miike's one genuine horror classic Audition are the other three) and every time you feel obliged to rush in there to slate them and then recommend a film that's generally considered an inferior rip off of those films instead. One Missed Call is entertaining enough and has its moments, but there is a reason why unlike the others you won't find it in recent reference books about important horror films. Just accept that you're on your own there. ;)

It's just a bit odd when someone recommends two of the five most seminal new wave J-horror films (Ringu, Kairo and Miike's one genuine horror classic Audition are the other three) and every time you feel obliged to rush in there to slate them and then recommend a film that's generally considered an inferior rip off of those films instead. One Missed Call is entertaining enough and has its moments, but there is a reason why unlike the others you won't find it in recent reference books about important horror films. Just accept that you're on your own there. ;)

I'll except it if you can except my opinion. It is probably the only movie that has ever had me moving away from the TV to disconnect from it and remember I was only watching a film, as an adult that is.

Ring is ok, but Ju-on and Dark Water are (in my opinion) terrible terrible films. Boring, plot holes, well shit looking (actually laughable) demons.
I jump in with Chakushin Ari because as a horror film it ticks all the boxes.
Audition isn't really a horror film, but it is great. If it is a horror film well then you might as well throw in Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya Ichi) which you might be unsurprised to hear, that I also really like.

Miikes Films tend to be too long. I would really love to have the time to edit a few of them down. Gozu could be an amazing film but is instead just a decent film. The only exception maybe is Izo, which is probably made even better by the fact that it just goes on and on and on and on.

I doubt Yattaman is any good.

Not sure why you think Audition isn't a horror film, it certainly considered one of the great J-horror films. It's a psychological horror film and a close relative of Polanski's horror classic Repulsion.

Not sure why you think Audition isn't a horror film, it certainly considered one of the great J-horror films. It's a psychological horror film and a close relative of Polanski's horror classic Repulsion.

I don't know, I suppose I don't see it as a classic 'Horror film', it's more of a psychological thriller with a bit of an ugly ending.
When I think of 'horror film' I think of slasher flick, etc. I don't really see the shining or misery as a horror flims. Hey ho. I don't think it really matters.

Some more recentish horror films I liked:

The South African old school zombie flick The Dead

The British genre mash-up Kill List

The daft but fun Dutch Father Christmas monster romp Saint

The Spanish serial killer thriller Julia's Eyes

The bloody, feminist social satire The Woman

The Australian killer croc film Rogue

The genre deconstruction The Cabin in the Woods

The evil killer kid flick Orphan

The underrated Southern gothic The Skeleton Key

The Canadian gene splicing Frankenstein variation Splice

The Norwegian slasher flicks Cold Prey 1 & 2

The Gaelic witchcraft council estate horror Outcast

The Lovecraftian US indie Absentia

The French supernatural prison flick Malefique

The Belgian "redneck horror" Calvaire

The psychological (and anorexic) torments of The Machinist

The Mayan killer plants of The Ruins

The nautical mindfuck that is Triangle

The giallo homage Amer

The haunted hotel slacker comedy The Innkeepers

Final Destination 1,2 & 5 (you can skip 3&4)

thanks for all the recommendations :)

for what it's worth - i thought dark water was fantastic, quite enjoyed one missed call despite it being a total rip-off, but for some reason found ju on boring. ringu rules the roost though ;)

There are shit ones, but I am afraid I am a big fan. Not seen anything good come from him in a long while though. Sukiyaki Western Django should have been amazing but was really very poor.

I really liked One Missed Call. I liked it a lot, I will maybe give it another airing.
I really can't understand why Dark Water and Ju-on are rated so highly, really really really terrible films.

I think you are right that Audition is a psychological horror/thriller but I would not automatically think to of it when someone was asking for "horror film recommendations".

I bloody love Audition though.

"Killy killy killy killy killy" *shudder*

I think you are right that Audition is a psychological horror/thriller but I would not automatically think to of it when someone was asking for "horror film recommendations".

I bloody love Audition though.

"Killy killy killy killy killy" *shudder*
KIRI!

anybody seen shutter? looks super creepy...

I've seen it but can barely remember anything about it. It's one of the later Asian horror films which just recycle the same ghost in the machine tropes so familiar to that particular sub-genre and it doesn't do anything new or interesting. It was considered effective enough to warrant a US remake though.

One film I forgot to mention on my previous list is the Hong Kong film Dumplings. Understated, but very creepy, its about the price an ageing soap opera actress is willing to pay for eternal youth.

i liked the spooky spiritual elements of Steve Jackson's Lovely Bones,

Clive Barkers Midnight Meat Train with an enjoyable performance by Vinnie Jones

and the film remake of the video game Silent Hill

i liked the spooky spiritual elements of Steve Jackson's Lovely Bones,

I don't think he did that. He did however do this:
c2b11fed9adb250414220cde6353aabb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom