Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can you recommend me a good horror film?

fakeplasticgirl

Keirleader
Sometimes I just like to scare myself silly. Haven't seen anything particularly good in ages though. Can urbs recommend anything? TIA :)

ps not so much a fan of gore...

I watched the 'Woman in Black' film with a couple of classes of teenagers at work and loved it. I don't like gore, I just like ghosty things and I loved it.

(Not sure it would be as entertaining without 28 14 year olds screaming at every jumpy thing, but it was great!).

I don't really like horror but "The Orphanage" is good at creating horror in your head without it being on screen.

Not much good if you can't do subtitles.

Damn, I can't remember the name but there is another great Japanese horror with great use of hair (if you have seen many Japanese horror films you will know what I mean).
Gah, I can't remember the name.

The Swedish Let the Right One In is the best horror film I've seen in the last decade. It's one of the few horror film that are genuinely great all round films. Don't watch the inferior US remake Let Me In instead.

The Belgian horror film Left Bank is my second favourite, a creepy slow burner which has a believable setting and characters which make the supernatural elemetns all the more disturbing when they creep into the narrative.

Ah, Ju-On (The Grudge).

Not as much hair as I thought but from what I remember "you get good hair" in the end ;)

Dark Water is pretty good too from what I remember.

The Swedish Let the Right One In is the best horror film I've seen in the last decade. It's one of the few horror film that are genuinely great all round films. Don't watch the inferior US remake Let Me In instead.

The Belgian horror film Left Bank is my second favourite, a creepy slow burner which has a believable setting and characters which make the supernatural elemetns all the more disturbing when they creep into the narrative.

Although I agree that the original Let the Right One In was good, it wasn't scary...

The obvious one is Ringu but regardless of what you think about Paranormal Activity's storylines and repetitiveness, they will scare the shit out of you.

Drag Me to Hell is funny and a bit scary, proper old school horror with modern production. The Brood is pretty scary as well, though a bit dated maybe. The Haunting Of Emily Rose is great, bit long but some great scary moments, mainly due to Jennifer Carpenter's brilliant performance.

I've heard Paranormal Activity 2 and 3 are pants? This true? or worth watching?

Rec and Rec 2 are great as well.

Cannibal Holocaust is a proper old nasty piece of filmaking, but is more horrible than actual scary horror. Reminds me of last week when I sat down to watch a nice horror with the mrs and a bottle of wine etc, and put I Spit on your Grave on. Oops.

Although I agree that the original Let the Right One In was good, it wasn't scary....

Everybody finds different things scary and films are scary on different levels. The ideas about the mundanity of evil behind Let the Right One In are scary to me and the film has a creepy atmosphere. It certainly got under my skin more than a film like The Woman in Black. Its only intention appears to be to make people jump out of their seats by rattling a skeleton every 5 minutes.

I agree with you. The Shining is different to the Paranormal Activity films and they both scare me in different ways (atmosphere v jumps). I just didn't really come out of LTROI feeling uncomfortable, unsettled or scared. Maybe that's my problem!

I found Paranormal Activity 2 & 3 more effective than the first one, which I didn't find scary at all.

The placement of the camera in the 3rd film, after the guy attached it to the moving fan thing, was genius.

Paperhouse

IMDb summary:

Anna is becoming lost in the loneliness of her own world when she discovers she can visit another, a house she has drawn herself and occupied by a young disabled boy. But as she discovers more of the links between her fantasy world and the mundane present, she is drawn only deeper into a dream turning into a nightmare.

Wikipedia summary:

While suffering from glandular fever, 11-year-old Anna Madden draws a house. Disturbingly, when she falls asleep, she has dreams about the things she has drawn. During her feverish dreams, she finds herself visiting the place. When she draws a face at the window, on her next visit she finds a disabled boy named Marc living in the house.

Ah, Ju-On (The Grudge).

Not as much hair as I thought but from what I remember "you get good hair" in the end ;)

Dark Water is pretty good too from what I remember.

Ju on and dark water are laughable horror films, utter low rent zero scares shite.

The original 'One Missed Call' (Chakushin Ari) Directed by Miike Takashi is the best Japanese Horror I have seen.

Ju on and dark water are laughable horror films, utter low rent zero scares shite.

The original 'One Missed Call' (Chakushin Ari) Directed by Miike Takashi is the best Japanese Horror I have seen.
Laughable ringu/j-horror rip-off with the (moral) production values of mexican soap.

Back
Top Bottom