Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can "left/right" be applied to pre-French Revolution figures and movements?

mk12

For example, Oliver Cromwell. Man of the left or right? Or is it impossible to characterise people prior to 1789 in these terms?

I suppose if you retrospectively apply an analysis of the interests they were serving it could be useful, because even the apparent religious questions are often expressions of underlying social conflicts (happen to have picked up a copy of Hill's Society and Puritanism recently, so following his take on that).

Well, you need to take it out of the political system and not think in terms of representation. It's very tempting to say these were the historically progressive forces but the problem is that these are usually on the right (in today's terms) so what does that then make the left? (And what does that make of today? Should we support modernising forces in the Afghanistan -what is modernising and so on)

That's true - wouldn't want to give the impression that I think Hill is doing anything so crude as just looking at what was 'progressive' or not. You get a similar take in Underdown's Fire From Heaven on the Puritan project in Dorchester - one the one hand, there's genuine motivations of charity and 'Godliness', on the other it's part of the imposition of discipline that will serve the new modes of production then just emerging.

That's true - wouldn't want to give the impression that I think Hill is doing anything so crude as just looking at what was 'progressive' or not. You get a similar take in Underdown's Fire From Heaven on the Puritan project in Dorchester - one the one hand, there's genuine motivations of charity and 'Godliness', on the other it's part of the imposition of discipline that will serve the new modes of production then just emerging.

OTOH, in their work on southern Africa, the Comaroffs argue that while protestant missionaries in the region may have introduced indigenous populations to concepts of time that were well suited to (a little later on) getting indigenous to clock into the mines, etc., those same missionaries left behind a notion of 'all men are brothers'. And this notion, however vague it may have been, was in direct contradiction to the fundamental premises of apartheid. . .

They don't really 'apply' outside of modernity; they don't mean anything in feudal England, or ancient Maya etc..

I don't think those terms are any use today, never mind pre-1789.

No, actually they are useful. They're used to prevent people from thinking for themselves. People identify themselves as "left-wing" and their position on every issue from guns to God is determined for them. Saves having to think every issue through, who has time for that?

left/right orientation has become more influential since the rise of capitalism which has caused a polarising effect within politics

prior to that, the demise of feudalism saw a reduction in the influence of the upper/lower class system, which in turn was preceded by a reduction in the influence of organised religion

All real revolutions - are communist revolutions. People revolting in the form of a "we". Not "what do I get from this". When people are ready to die for the revolution - that is for sure a real (and a communist) revolution. What do they get if they are dead ? Nothing, but there is a "we". And this does not mean they are mindless zombies that gave up thinking. The zombies that gave up thinking for themselves - are usually the soldiers sent there to fight them. These are always "capitalists". Fighting for profit, and stuff.

All real revolutions - are communist revolutions. People revolting in the form of a "we". Not "what do I get from this". When people are ready to die for the revolution - that is for sure a real (and a communist) revolution. What do they get if they are dead ? Nothing, but there is a "we". And this does not mean they are mindless zombies that gave up thinking. The zombies that gave up thinking for themselves - are usually the soldiers sent there to fight them. These are always "capitalists". Fighting for profit, and stuff.

What about the Iranian revolution of 1978-79?

That's arguably the most authentic people's revolution in history. But I don't see how anyone could call it "communist."

For example, Oliver Cromwell. Man of the left or right? Or is it impossible to characterise people prior to 1789 in these terms?

Hmm, let's see - he was a genocidal murderer who abolished the monarchy. Has to be a loony leftist, clearly.

Reactions: tim

The 'we' bit is always anchored by the 'me' bit imo. That is self-interest. I've always viewed the altruistic super hero revolutionary mindset to be a bit well, incongruent with what communism would be like if it were to be popularly rooted in the needs of many people who decide to act in a certain way and make a revolution.

That's arguably the most authentic people's revolution in history. But I don't see how anyone could call it "communist."
Because it was rooted in solidarity, even for the deeply religious? And also because it involved masses of lefties and trade unionists.

Can it be called a revolution? By which criteria?

There was a specific Q of mine, I must note, Phil... Not like you not to give a straight A... You OK? :)

Not every social, political and even economic change, even if deep and huge, is a move forward... Not necessarily a revolution, then... ;)

[Yes, I would have a progressive bit in there, sure...:cool:]

Yes, but a major political change, including socia, change, that is called a revolution by participants and observers can quite happily be called a 'revolution'.

Who is this gorski, is s/he an acid casualty or something?

It can also be called counter-revolution, if it heads in the pre-Modernity direction...

This gorski, unlike you, it seems, cherishes his brains and doesn't allow shit to it...

Nope, argumentum ad consensus gentium never worked - and never will!!

Moreover, there is no "neutral" ground from which to judge...

Therefore, we must be clear from which ground we...

Hence my question...

if revolution is defined as a fundamental change of a power structure, then the sixteenth century protestant reformation can be defined as a revolution

this "revolution" caused a power vacuum which was largely filled by a strengthening of the ruling monarchies of the class system

revolutions against these ruling classes followed and the power vacuum caused by these revolutions paved the way for the development of politics as a ruling system

the emerging revolution is an anti-politics revolution and the obvious question is........what will fill the vacuum?

if revolution is defined as a fundamental change of a power structure, then the sixteenth century protestant reformation can be defined as a revolution

this "revolution" caused a power vacuum which was largely filled by a strengthening of the ruling monarchies of the class system

revolutions against these ruling classes followed and the power vacuum caused by these revolutions paved the way for the development of politics as a ruling system

the emerging revolution is an anti-politics revolution and the obvious question is........what will fill the vacuum?

I have no clue as to what on Earth you are talking about...:confused:

Consumer struggle. :D

Fresh hot takes on Marie Antoinette

theres the Historic Lies series on BBC at the mo which 'repaints' Marie - as usual I have forgotten everything I watched and heard so cant tell you otherwise

" Lucy discovers that Marie Antoinette never said 'Let them eat cake'. This was a fib used by later historians to help explain why the revolution happened. Historian Michael Rapport explains how the revolution was not started by starving peasants as many assume but was in fact sparked by a group of lawyers and property owners. Along the way, Lucy finds out that Maximilien Robespierre wasn’t simply a bloodthirsty revolutionary who relished violence and wanted to execute everyone who disagreed with him. In his earlier years, he stood against the death penalty and slavery and fought for the rights of France’s Jewish population. And the guillotine was invented by the revolutionaries not as a brutal punishment but as a more egalitarian and humanitarian form of execution. "

bbc history

Back
Top Bottom