Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

can I get a prepaid debit card over the counter in uk

jeff_leigh

What happened to Dubversion ?
I'm trying to clear some debts at the moment and I've stopped using my credit cards and just relying on cash, I've had a few issues in some places and keep getting asked do I have a card. So I'm looking at a prepaid debit card, Ideally I want to get one asap so are there any store that I could go and get a card over the counter Today ? Thanks Jeff

I'm trying to clear some debts at the moment and I've stopped using my credit cards and just relying on cash, I've had a few issues in some places and keep getting asked do I have a card. So I'm looking at a prepaid debit card, Ideally I want to get one asap so are there any store that I could go and get a card over the counter Today ? Thanks Jeff
Your best bet in the short term is probably a "virtual" card. You can get an account from Starling/Resolut etc, and they'll give you a virtual card to use, which can be added to your mobile - assuming it supports it. Then you just transfer money into the new account, and use Google Pay/Apple Pay when a card is needed.

I use Revolute when abroad and also to transfer cash to Ms A319 abroad. They aren’t as brilliant as they I used to be but still good. I think the virtual card is free and I seem to remember a basic physical card is a low one off cost.

Try Revolut?

I am also clearing debts so have set up an account with them no problem.

Not over the counter but should only take a few days to get your card and I think you can start using it more or less straight away.

They don't accept cash payments though so that may be a non starter for you.

just a thought - some credit unions do accounts with a debit card (there may be a modest monthly fee) - credit unions tend to be fairly localised, so probably not a lot of point in me posting links to my local one.

and i may be going in the wrong direction here, i don't know what your circumstances are, but think some banks / building societies / maybe even the post office offer a basic bank account with debit card but no overdraft facility and so on.

Try Revolut?

I am also clearing debts so have set up an account with them no problem.

Not over the counter but should only take a few days to get your card and I think you can start using it more or less straight away.

They don't accept cash payments though so that may be a non starter for you.
Worth seeing this:

Thanks for the replies, I’m just having a look at the revolut.com page 👍🏻
I have a referral link for the next 24 hours in case you want to use it. They'll give me a random amount between £10-200 (which I'm happy to split) for anyone who signs up using it, once they've used their account three times.

Back
Top Bottom