Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying a small, reliable car

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I need to buy another car. Reliability and practicality are my main priorities. 2nd hand. Looking to spend up to £4,000 although could go higher. According to Which the Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz are very reliable. Don't want a sporty car, but wouldn't mind something a bit more stylish. Other suggestions?

Honda Jazz.

Sprog 1 has a 2010 model which has done just over £100k. Our wider family has owned it from new - it's had no problems other than a broken drive shaft 85k or so, and £300. That's it. All the normal gadgets are working, nothing has stopped functioning properly through age - it's compares admirably to the Mondeos, Octavias, Avensis etc I've had since 2010....

I dunno, def adds some value having something you like sitting in.

Does usually mean paying a bit more, though.

In this situation i can't think of any small cars that are as practical and reliable as a Jazz or a Yaris for £4k, yet also more stylish. So it's chasing ghosts imo.

In this situation i can't think of any small cars that are as practical and reliable as a Jazz or a Yaris for £4k, yet also more stylish. So it's chasing ghosts imo.

I was thinking the 2012 Jazz model is a bit more pleasing than the previous model. Would mean stretching to 5k or so for a decent one if the OP feels it is worth it.

Mrs Q bought a 2007 Micra in 2009 and kept it until 6 months ago when she traded it in for a 2020 Yaris hybrid. The Yaris is shaping up to be a good little car but if you want sheer reliability I would recommend a Micra to anyone.
It was surprisingly nippy for a 1200 engine and whilst obviously not as economical as the Yaris it took only modest sips of fuel. There's loads of them out there so you should be able to find one in your price range.

Mrs Q bought a 2007 Micra in 2009 and kept it until 6 months ago when she traded it in for a 2020 Yaris hybrid. The Yaris is shaping up to be a good little car but if you want sheer reliability I would recommend a Micra to anyone.
It was surprisingly nippy for a 1200 engine and whilst obviously not as economical as the Yaris it took only modest sips of fuel. There's loads of them out there so you should be able to find one in your price range.

I had a Micra for 14 years (it was a Y reg). Was a great little car.

Depends what you are looking for. 2 doors or 4, petrol or diesel Etc.
Hyundai & Kia's have certainly developed a reputation for reliability, nut most cars are pretty reliable these days.
Get a full service history and you should be ok.

Small children bought cars by indulgent parents all get Vauxhall Corsas. I do not understand why.

Make sure you know the cam belt or cam chain replacement interval, and then if it is near or past that interval make sure there is a trustworthy receipt for its replacement.

If there is no receipt, i.e. the belt hasn't been replaced but otherwise you like the car, say to the seller, I like the car and I will buy it at this price, but only if you put a new belt on it.

I'd recommend a VW Polo as well Son Q used to have a 2014 model, reliable and well equipped little car, only reason he got rid of it was he is living with a young lady whose parents live in Southampton (160+ miles away) The first time she took him to meet them was the morning after she had pulled a 12 hour night shift on the cardiac ward and discovered that sleeping in the front seat of a moving Polo is even harder than sleeping in an airplane.

Small children bought cars by indulgent parents all get Vauxhall Corsas. I do not understand why.
Because they’re cheap to buy and run. They’re much better looking than eg the Yaris. And if you get one with the right engine (I can’t remember which one specifically) and give it basic services you’ll get a huge mileage in a reliable car. The fact that driving schools and some police forces use them suggests they’re reliable.

eta Used Vauxhall Corsa Hatchback (2014 - 2019) mpg, costs & reliability

I’ve had three Vauxhall Corsas over the years. Handed on to me for free from those exact young people who were graduating to something else.
I was given them for free because of that thing where cars get to a point where they’re too good to scrap and not good enough to sell. I drove them all for years without any bother while others were complaining about any number of issues. They all sailed through their MOTs every time too. I was even using them to transport my entire Glastonbury pitch (that was an annual Tetris game I hated).

Had to get rid of the last one cos it wasn’t ULEZ compliant.

Now reading this thread because I want a car. I really need one that will take my camping gear. I was thinking a small van might be better than a large car. It needs to work as a city vehicle too.

If I were looking for a small city car, this would be high on my list ( maybe a different colour ). 2 owners, full service history, low mileage
View attachment 396888
They’re far too small in my opinion. I’ve sat in one and wouldn’t buy, or drive one. If you are at least 100% certain you’ll never need to go outside of a city, and there’ll never be more than one passenger, then they might, just, be worth thinking about.

I’ve had three Vauxhall Corsas over the years. Handed on to me for free from those exact young people who were graduating to something else.
I was given them for free because of that thing where cars get to a point where they’re too good to scrap and not good enough to sell. I drove them all for years without any bother while others were complaining about any number of issues. They all sailed through their MOTs every time too. I was even using them to transport my entire Glastonbury pitch (that was an annual Tetris game I hated).

Had to get rid of the last one cos it wasn’t ULEZ compliant.

Now reading this thread because I want a car. I really need one that will take my camping gear. I was thinking a small van might be better than a large car. It needs to work as a city vehicle too.
Vauxhall have a poor rep for reliability and rust that is no longer justified. I’ve an 02 Astra which I’ve owned for many years. It has 180k on it and has past the last half dozen ITV (MoT equivalent) without problems. All I’ve done is a basic service every year.

Vauxhall have a poor rep for reliability and rust that is no longer justified. I’ve an 02 Astra which I’ve owned for many years. It has 180k on it and has past the last half dozen ITV (MoT equivalent) without problems. All I’ve done is a basic service every year.

Pretty impressive. I'd find that tempting if they didn't look like an advert for anti-depressants.

They’re far too small in my opinion. I’ve sat in one and wouldn’t buy, or drive one. If you are at least 100% certain you’ll never need to go outside of a city, and there’ll never be more than one passenger, then they might, just, be worth thinking about.
I wasn't aware size mattered, use and type of journey wasn't mentioned either.

I wasn't aware size mattered, use and type of journey wasn't mentioned either.
Safety is always a consideration and doesn't need saying out loud. Taking a car this small on a motorway is unlikely to be comfortable and it is unlikely to survive an accident. As are you. For these reasons alone a car as small as this is only good for short, local journeys.

If, as I have, you'd seen a friend after a car hit her in a car this small, you'd be wary too. If you'd had a truck hit you on a motorway and seen the damage they can do to a larger car you'd not want so tiny a car either.

Back
Top Bottom