Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger press, load of old bollocks or not?

telbert

Do you like sponge?
Anyone use a burger press? I normally form burgers by hand but may need to enter the21st century soon and get one. Do i need to spend a fortune to get a decent one?

We occasionally use one - it largely depends on the eventual consistency of the burger mix. If we're making burgers with a lump of blue cheese in the middle then we'll tend to make them by hand (making them more ovoid) and do them in the frying pan, but the pressed patties are definitely better on the barbecue.

You can just use a plastic ring or a biscuit cutter if you need to use a utensil (I find forming them by hand tricky due to arthritis) - having a firm burger of even shape and thickness and good structural cohesion is good for getting an evenly cooked finished product, but you don't necessarily need a fancy gadget.

I do mine by hand. It's a bit messy but I find it much more satisfying.
A trick for hand shaping... Make them a little concave as you shape them.

We occasionally use one - it largely depends on the eventual consistency of the burger mix. If we're making burgers with a lump of blue cheese in the middle then we'll tend to make them by hand (making them more ovoid) and do them in the frying pan, but the pressed patties are definitely better on the barbecue.
Wow

I have one - a generic metal 2 part thing. It’s pretty useful tbh as I buy a value pack of beef mince and press out 125g burger patties in a 12 batch then freeze them in a bag so I can pull out of the freezer a 100% beef patty and fry from frozen wherever I want burger and chips.

Frying from frozen gives a good deep flavourful sear on the surface and stops the burger falling apart as it’s cooking.

Last edited:
They might have them in Scotland so people can replicate those odd square sausages they have. danny la rouge probably knows where you can buy them.

I've not eaten a burger of any description for decades so I can't comment on burger presses though.
Square sausage comes in a loaf shape, then you cut slices off it. Mostly it's sold presliced in packs of four or six for consumers, caterers tend to buy the loaf ones.

But that's an awesome idea that spanglechick had.

Do they ever make square burgers/presses? To fit better in a sandwich?

Provoked by this thread, I have been throwing out useless kitchen equipment. It’s going well.
I've just moved house and whilst putting things in their places I realised how much kitchen crap I have that I'll never use. I think it's time to get rid and make space for more things I'll never use.

Have you been to the Reading one? My mate was considering but it was closed when he was there
No, there are always massive queues and I'm not really one for eating that sort of burger or fast food. We've got that Taco Bell as well now and the food from there looks absolutely minging.

Back
Top Bottom