Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BT Tower - history, chat and news and conversion to a luxury hotel

editor

hiraethified
I've been up here a couple of times and it's *ace*.
The revolving restaurant at the top of the BT Tower in central London is to be reopened for the first time in nearly 30 years.

BT has recently begun searching for a big-name chef to oversee the restaurant on the 34th floor.

Among those it plans to approach are Heston Blumenthal, Jamie Oliver and Gary Rhodes, who runs a restaurant on the 24th floor of Tower 42, formerly the NatWest building, in the City.

The skyscraper, previously known as the Post Office Tower, has not had a restaurant open to the public since 1980, when the Top of the Tower venue closed after 14 years. It was shut partly because of security fears. In 1971 an IRA bomb exploded in the lavatories.

The revived restaurant will undergo a full refurbishment before it reopens, although one feature that will stay the same is the 10ft-wide revolving part of the floor that provides diners with a 360-degree view over the capital. It takes about 20 minutes to complete a circuit — roughly 10 minutes less than the London Eye.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/eating_out/article6898128.ece

I'd be more interested if it wasn't 'fine dining' with a celebrity chef.

Unless you can go up without a reservation, just to look around.

Fucking sweet! Wry and I had Sunday lunch at Windows yesterday and the fixed views were awesome, so the revolving business would be :cool:

I'd love to go but it's going to be pricey isn't it.

That reminds me, I really must buy that episode of Dr Who with the post office tower in when it has just opened. Loads of 60s london in it apparently.

I'd recommend Rhodes 24 in Tower 42 if you've never been. Really nice place alebit kinda pricey.

I was going to ask about this the other day. The last few days (or maybe a week), we've seen the lights on which isn't normal.

I figured maybe they were hiring it out for Christmas parties or something

They shouldn't get a celebrity chef, don't they know there is a recession on? It should be the worlds highest fish and chip cafe or something similarly down market for the likes of me to go to. I think you should be allowed to just have a cup of filter coffee and a pastry while you look out through the windows.

Can't wait - only 65 seats, and not open until end 2011. Will still revolve.

Was in Fitzrovia on Saturday - saw the fireworks launched off the top to mark 1000 days until London Olympics - great stuff, if very brief.

I had the revolving Post Office lunch when I was about 11. It was brilliant - not just the views outside, but watching the join in the floor, and the waiters stepping over it.

God not those three for choice of chefs please :( Ace that it's reopening again though! :cool:

*drops birthday hints* :D

That Windows place sounds worthy of a visit and not extortionate taking into account the view etc etc.....will definitely be checking out the revolving tower when the time comes. too...

They did a Masterchef challenge up in the restaurant this year didn't they?
I remember at the time thinking that the head chef there must have had the cushiest job in London. Not any more. :facepalm:

Anyway, not many covers+expensve refurb+inevitable high demand=big, big prices I'm afraid, although I don't see why they need a 'name' chef.

Fantastic!! I have always wanted to go up there, especially having worked more or less in the shadow of it for nearly 20 years now :)

Funnily enough I was looking at the top of it this morning from the bus and thinking what a great structure it is :)

I've been jammy enough to get up their twice. I love it.

telecom08.jpg

bt-telecom-tower-07.jpg

telecom07.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/london/telecom.html
http://www.urban75.org/london/telecom1.html
http://www.urban75.org/london/telecom2.html

I was looking at it yesterday and thinking how cool it was in a retro way. My dad was telling me about business dinners and getting really pissed and the revolving being a bit disconcerting so I am looking forward to that (not that I will go for business dinners :D)

They shouldn't get a celebrity chef, don't they know there is a recession on? It should be the worlds highest fish and chip cafe or something similarly down market for the likes of me to go to. I think you should be allowed to just have a cup of filter coffee and a pastry while you look out through the windows.

Maybe the whole restaurant could revolve around one of those gyro kebab things.

I was looking at it yesterday and thinking how cool it was in a retro way. My dad was telling me about business dinners and getting really pissed and the revolving being a bit disconcerting so I am looking forward to that (not that I will go for business dinners :D)

My b/f did some work up there. Didn't take any photos though :(

Is the revolving bit still in working order?

I've been in a revolving restaurant in New York and they are pretty cool.

I was going to ask about this the other day. The last few days (or maybe a week), we've seen the lights on which isn't normal.

I figured maybe they were hiring it out for Christmas parties or something

Was in Fitzrovia on Saturday - saw the fireworks launched off the top to mark 1000 days until London Olympics - great stuff, if very brief.
The 1000 days was why it was lit up too. I tried pointing it out to my friend but she didn't seem to care :(

Now we all know the Ed's been there, done that, but now there's an opportunity for us mere mortals to get to the top of one London's most famous B-list landmarks (said with all affection, I assure you ;)).

"With unrivalled views across London this is a unique opportunity for members of the public to visit the famous revolving Floor 34, 158 metres above the capital. To find out how to apply for your place, you need to get the Open House Guide. With unrivalled views across London this is a unique opportunity for members of the public to visit the famous revolving Floor 34, 158 metres above the capital."

This is bound to be one of those venues that needs to be pre-booked via the Open Cities website – and if it is anything like chances to get to the top of The Gherkin (I’ve been in there), then the tickets will be snapped up in a few minutes.

To get a head-start though, you can prepare for the event by buying the annual guide – the funds from which go to support the event – from their website.

The guide will be posted out on 5th August – and the website goes live on the morning of the 9th August.

Back
Top Bottom