Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Broken Window

ATOMIC SUPLEX

One of the windows on the outside of my garden shed/office thing has shattered.
It's one of those floor to ceiling things like you might get in a patio door.
It's shattered on the outside pane only, no idea when this happened, might have been while I was away last week, but I only noticed today.

What on earth do you do? Where do I get a new one? Do I have to make it safe for now? The glass is still attached it seems, but it is wobbly so maybe it could all fall out and make a dreadful mess.

Arrrggh, it's going to be expensive isn't it.

One of the windows on the outside of my garden shed/office thing has shattered.
It's one of those floor to ceiling things like you might get in a patio door.
It's shattered on the outside pane only, no idea when this happened, might have been while I was away last week, but I only noticed today.

What on earth do you do? Where do I get a new one? Do I have to make it safe for now? The glass is still attached it seems, but it is wobbly so maybe it could all fall out and make a dreadful mess.

Arrrggh, it's going to be expensive isn't it.
What type of frame is it and what are the dimensions?

Has the glass broken into tiny squares?
If so I would put a dust sheet down and remove the glass. You can just poke it and it will fall out.

Contact a glazing firm to get the unit replaced.

I think replacing a double glazed unit it's very straightforward I had a broken unit someone came out and measured it and then popped back later that day to fit the placement unit.

More interesting is to wonder what caused it to fail in the first place. For me I thought it might be someone with an airgun playing silly beggars.

We had a sealed unit in our patio door replaced earythis year, it cost just under £200, supplied and fitted.

I think replacing a double glazed unit it's very straightforward I had a broken unit someone came out and measured it and then popped back later that day to fit the placement unit.

More interesting is to wonder what caused it to fail in the first place. For me I thought it might be someone with an airgun playing silly beggars.
Yeah it's a bit weird. I have been away for a few days but I didn't notice anything when I came back. There is a blind in the way that obscures it, I didn't notice until leaving the garden office yesterday after sitting next to the broken window for a couple of hours. I also didn't notice while I was mowing the law outside it yesterday afternoon. No hole, but there does look like there is a small point of impact.
It's close to a tall fence so if someone did it they would have probably had to have been in my garden. If it was a would be burglar the more sensible door to smash would have been the one with the handle.
Maybe my lawn mower kicked up a stone and I didn't hear or see it? Not sure how it would have escaped the enclosed casing. Not sure any normal accident should have completely shattered a patio window.

I'll take a photo later and you can all do some CSI

Reactions: tim
It’s very common for lawn mowers to be the cause.
Shiiitttt. I can't see quite how, but I don't know what else it could have been. Bit expensive, thank goodness I start work next week, bit of a shame it's right slap bang next to by where I will be working.

If the glass is cracked into shards, not cubes, then a temporary repair would be to put a self-adhesive safety film over it (you can get that on the internet - several firms make it.
And claim on your household buildings insurance to pay for a glazier to come & change the glass.
Which, by the sound of it should be a double glazed unit made in toughened glass - maybe you should consider getting a safety film added, as well.

If the glass is cracked into shards, not cubes, then a temporary repair would be to put a self-adhesive safety film over it (you can get that on the internet - several firms make it.
And claim on your household buildings insurance to pay for a glazier to come & change the glass.
Which, by the sound of it should be a double glazed unit made in toughened glass - maybe you should consider getting a safety film added, as well.
What is the difference between shards and cubes?
I can see a point of impact where it begins, but the whole unit is shattered into little bits. It seems pretty sturdy at the edges but wobbly in the middle.
I do have some clear plastic sheets for book covering that I guess I can stick over it.

I can see a point of impact where it begins, but the whole unit is shattered into little bits. It seems pretty sturdy at the edges but wobbly in the middle.
I do have some clear plastic sheets for book covering that I guess I can stick over it.
Shards - long, spikey and tapering bits with very, very sharp edges.
Cubes - largely small blocks, as per the shape and somewhat less sharp, apart from the corners

If it's shattered into little bits don't try to stick anything to it as it will all fall out.

Back
Top Bottom