Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Lido - chat, news and more

It’s only been filled for a week (I can’t remember when I posted up thread) so probably hasn’t had as much sunshine to warm it up to that level yet?
There was a test thing this evening before it opens properly tomorrow, the water was lovely. Someone said it was 21 degrees, someone else said it was 18/19 degrees, was somewhere around that ballpark. It was a really nice temperature whatever it was anyway.

Is the whole of August and September really 'unavailable' as shown on the online booking?

I am a member, and booked a couple of sessions, but now I tried to book one and it was showing £8 unpaid. Have I missed information about a cap on bookings? I have booked 3 over 2 weeks.

No, they only release 6 days of booking at a time. I think to stop it getting block booked.

I think it’s 3 free for members in July and then free once they start taking membership fees again.

Has anyone received an email from Fusion about changes to the swimming season ticket which mean that you can only book 3 swims a week?

I was told verbally but haven't had an email or anything, but have just realised I had my email preferences set to "never email me about anything".

There are various points I'm unclear on like when they consider a week starts. I can't see this in the Ts and Cs and anyway those are about gym members, not swimming season ticket holders.

I've already been hauled up for inadvertently breaching the rules when they moved the goalposts and don't want to run the risk of doing something wrong again (and getting charged for it).

No - but just realised I probably have my email preferences set the same as yours :facepalm:

I have no idea how it works at the moment, I thought it was PAYG only, as I had a gym membership but had to re-register to use the app & pay £8 a swim.

The 3 swims a week limit wouldn't affect me - I can only manage weekday mornings before work at the moment & they sell out so quickly I've only managed to get 2 since it's been re-opened!

Should be glad it's as busy as it is though, as they must be desperate for revenue. Am thinking even a full day of hour-long sessions can't make anywhere near as much as a normal busy summer day, and IIRC Fusion's line has always been that the gym subsidised the pool anyway.

No, they only release 6 days of booking at a time. I think to stop it getting block booked.

I think it’s 3 free for members in July and then free once they start taking membership fees again.

I did not know this :facepalm::facepalm:

But had only paid for a couple before I cancelled membership so not too bad.

I couldn't manage enough lengths to make it worth £8 :oops: .

Is Lido Mike, the swimming chap doing lessons?

Here's my understanding of the current situation regarding season tickets and memberships.

They only changed the rules after the first couple of weeks of opening, when they realised how high the demand is (assisted by the fact Tooting Lido is closed for the foreseeable). After having sold a bunch of season tickets and gym memberships they decided season ticket holders could only have three swims a week, and gym members could only have three sessions (swim or gym) in total a week - ie three of anything not three of each. You can still buy extra swims for £8 a go on top if you want to. As a season ticket holder I think 3 swims a week is reasonable in the circumstances, but there are a lot of pissed off gym members.

Also, if you book a swim and don't turn up (or the system thinks you didn't turn up because your swipe didn't work) you now get charged £8 (like you do if as a gym member you skip a pilates class). Again I don't think this is unreasonable but it is a change and doesn't take much account of the weather.

Members get slots a day before non-members.

There doesn't seem to have been any communication about it all (or if there has, my email settings meant I didn't get it). Because it's a wholly new system and totally different from previous years lots of people have fallen foul of the rules. For many people it's not what they thought they were paying for. The staff I think are also quite cheesed off because the system isn't necessarily explained to them either but they have to implement it.

Anyway it is lovely to be back swimming and they must have lost a ton of money so I'm not complaining too much.

Not sure but here's their website: http://www.streamlineswims.com/coaching/

Last edited:

Same here, or rather, for £8 I want to swim non-stop so once a week is enough for me at the moment!

LidoMike is doing evening group training sessions at Beckenham Lake.

And if you can get to north London, Parliament Hill Lido is open, also booking in advance but via Eventbrite and £4 a session.

LidoMike is doing evening group training sessions at Beckenham Lake.

Yup. From Mike:
As indoor and outdoor pool 121 sessions are currently unavailable due to Covid -19, we are running a block of 3 small group open water beginner/intermediate swim lessons at Beckenham Place Park, Lewisham on Tuesdays 5.30-6pm cost £45.

An update, for those braving the cooler temperatures: if you are a member (I don't know whether season ticket holders are also included) once you have booked your 3 sessions per week, you can book additional sessions without paying if there are slots available 24 or 48 hours in advance. I didn't realise this for weeks, until I went to suggest that now slots are not sold out, they could increase the number of visits. You click on the 'Adult Lido Lane Swimming Extra' tab.

But you all twigged this ages ago, didn't you? :D:rolleyes:

Yup. From Mike:
As indoor and outdoor pool 121 sessions are currently unavailable due to Covid -19, we are running a block of 3 small group open water beginner/intermediate swim lessons at Beckenham Place Park, Lewisham on Tuesdays 5.30-6pm cost £45.
Half a fucking hour for 45 quid. Hardly accessible to the majority of residents.

Half a fucking hour for 45 quid. Hardly accessible to the majority of residents.

It looks like its 3 sessions for £45, ie £15 a session of (almost 1-2-1) tuition, which would include entry price to the lake.

The normal swimming prices for Beckenham Swimming Lake this year are £5 for an adult, £3 per child.
Only 1 hour slots, but that's the same everywhere this year - plenty of grass outside the Lake & a cafe nearby...
  • Adult: £5 (£6 for non Lewisham residents)
  • Child: £3 (£3.50 for non Lewisham residents)
  • Family (five people with a maximum of three adults): £16
Swimming in the lake

It looks like its 3 sessions for £45, ie £15 a session of (almost 1-2-1) tuition, which would include entry price to the lake.

The normal swimming prices for Beckenham Swimming Lake this year are £5 for an adult, £3 per child.
Only 1 hour slots, but that's the same everywhere this year - plenty of grass outside the Lake & a cafe nearby...
  • Adult: £5 (£6 for non Lewisham residents)
  • Child: £3 (£3.50 for non Lewisham residents)
  • Family (five people with a maximum of three adults): £16
Swimming in the lake
Ok that's better. I am going to try to book for Monday.

Winter season tickets for the lido are now available on the fusion website (to start oct 1st). Changing rooms will be open but no sauna (can’t see it opening at all this winter to be honest). I loved the social aspect of the sauna but obvs can totally understand why it can’t open at the min.

Winter season tickets for the lido are now available on the fusion website (to start oct 1st). Changing rooms will be open but no sauna (can’t see it opening at all this winter to be honest). I loved the social aspect of the sauna but obvs can totally understand why it can’t open at the min.
Oh interesting. I asked at the desk today what the plan for winter was about changing etc and they didn't say the changing rooms would be open. I can't see how that's going to be very socially distant what with them being pathetically small and inadequate at the best of times.

Oh interesting. I asked at the desk today what the plan for winter was about changing etc and they didn't say the changing rooms would be open. I can't see how that's going to be very socially distant what with them being pathetically small and inadequate at the best of times.
Yep says on their instagram. I know, think I’ll just carry on changing under my towel robe tbh.

Attachments

• 58CEC9BE-C2FB-46B7-A894-75DE62589A52.png
    58CEC9BE-C2FB-46B7-A894-75DE62589A52.png
    927.2 KB · Views: 12
Tooting Lido has a plan for winter, it seems - no indoor changing, covered area to leave clothes & the outdoor cubicles to get dressed in.

Strong advice to bring a thermos & warm clothes for afterwards :D

(Winter membership is £75 Oct-March, or £52 for over 65s / under 25yo)

20200921_120053.jpg

Think I would still change outside (unless raining) but at least the changing room has a hair dryer for a quick warm up!

Word is they're coming up with a solution to the small changing rooms. Heavy hints being dropped informally but no actual information forthcoming.

They're also dropping the 3 swims a week from next Monday.

Back
Top Bottom