Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton's Blacker Dread jailed for two and a half years for money laundering

Banned for this!!! Ten out of ten pisstake. Dishes out warnings for abuse to posters inc me and bans Daphne for pointing out their abuse.
Once again you're knee jerking for all the wrong reasons - this isn't the reason she was banned AT ALL - but if you wish to pursue the matter, take it to the feedback forum.

I'm holding my breath.

Doubtless tittle-tattle

GarveyLives was telling the truth. There was a very long video (may have been YouTube) from Sir Lloyd taking significant umbrage at Blacker. Money handed over and no thanks received, copyright issues, general badness and serious disrespect etc. It's since disappeared so maybe things have cooled down a bit.

More recently, on the day of the celebration of Blacker Dread's 50 years in the music inductry, the legendary Lloyd Coxsone reflected on the former's time in the industry. Those reflections are shared below for all those from Brixtonbuzz and Urban75 who missed them at the time:

It was the recent Guardian article where it says:

Blacker Dread: the record store owner who became Brixton’s hero

No mention at all of Pat.

That Graun piece has been amended:

"This article was amended on 6 March 2018 to include reference to Ros Griffiths as a founder of Brixton Splash."

Talk about writing your own history :facepalm:

I wonder is she places the same demands on people writing about Brixton Wave?
The story was subsequently amended again (22/03/2018) and now reads:

Along with Pat Clark and Ros Griffiths, Blacker was a driving force behind Brixton Splash, an annual non-profit street party – south London’s answer to the Notting Hill carnival. Blacker was involved for 10 years.

Happily the truth about who founded Splash is right here on these boards

And let's not forget the farcical Brixton Wave, headed up by Ros Griffiths.

More recently, on the day of the celebration of Blacker Dread's 50 years in the music inductry, the legendary Lloyd Coxsone reflected on the former's time in the industry. Those reflections are shared below for all those from Brixtonbuzz and Urban75 who missed them at the time:

I don't know anything about the people or the story, but I watched the video and would summarise it thus:

• Lloyd Coxsone set up a roots & culture sound system
  • Somebody by the name of Festus was his second-in-command from the beginning
  • The system was very popular and successful in competition
  • Coxsone pulled up people from the streets to learn the sound system craft
  • Blacker Dread was one of them, and he had been involved in crime before joining Coxsone's sound
  • After some years Coxsone got tired of driving the system around Europe and went to Jamaica for a planned three month break, handing the reins over to Festus
  • Coxsone ended up being away for more than a year and when he came back everything was a bit of a shambles
  • Blacker seemed to have taken over the whole show and was promoting it as a badman sound, which Coxsone bristled at
  • Coxsone felt Blacker did not understand sound systems, and performed poorly in competition
  • Coxsone claims that Festus developed a certain habit fed by Blacker
  • Quite a few claims about money-related issues (e.g. claiming Blacker solicited a £50k loan from Levi Roots to bury his mother)
  • Some stuff about Coxsone deciding to wrest control of the sound system back from Blacker, who asked for £10k because he had built a new box
  • Coxsone says that in the end he handed over ten grand but when he turned up at a garage on the agreed date to take possession Blacker told him his brother had the key and rescheduled for the next day
  • When Coxsone returned and effected entry the garage had been cleared out
  • Claims about connections to the deportation of 11 people in Brixton subsequent to Blacker's conviction
And so on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom