Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton's Blacker Dread jailed for two and a half years for money laundering

editor

hiraethified
Blimey!

Blacker Dread (aka Steve Burnett-Martin) trousered £230,411 in fraudulent payments to his record shop as part of a £700k scam.

5101982-3x2-700x467.jpg

A FORMER credit controller has been jailed for her key part in stealing more than £700,000 from her employer.

Lorna Martin, of Selhurst Road, South Norwood, has been jailed alongside the five people into whose bank accounts the money was paid.

The 32-year-old used her job at marketing company IMCD Ltd in Sutton to create fake invoices to pay the money from the company into her and others’ bank accounts.

From September 2011 to August 2012, £30,548 was paid into two Santander bank accounts in Martin’s name, and £94,449 to her partner at the time, Leon Binns, 31, of Southbridge Place, Croydon.

A further £230,411 was paid to record store Blacker Dread, based in Brixton and run by Steve Burnett-Martin, 55, of Gipsy Hill.

And £193,000 was paid into three accounts in the names of Michael Bakare, 31, of Choumert Street, Peckham; his sister Oluwaseun Bakare, 26, of the same road; and Shevon Scott (pictured).

IMCD Ltd, of Throwley Way, only realised something was wrong months after Martin had left, and called police.

At Croydon Crown Court after a month-long trial ending on May 26, all six were convicted of money-laundering charges, while Martin was also convicted of thieving from her employer.

Martin was jailed for three years; Burnett for two-and-a-half; Binns for 18 months; Michael Bakare for two years; Oluwaseun Bakare for 18 months, and the Shevon Scott for 21 months.

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...ompany-ICMND/story-21278285-detail/story.html

Pic credit [--]

Crikey! i knew he was down in the dumps but I though that was because he hadn't got over his mother's death.:(

The woman must be his daughter...

Explains how he managed to keep that shop open in such a prime location.
not necessarily - plenty of businesses which have been around for a long time survive because they either own the building (having bought in the 70s/80s when properties were dirt cheap) or are on long term rent deals. Not everyone is paying £90k a year rent like Costa Coffee.

tbh Blacker hasn't been a place to buy records for years. He stopped stocking the latest 45s a decade ago and the stock of LPs and CDs was rarely interesting.

"And to think only last month a crowd funding page was launched to raise funds for this year’s Brixton Splash event,due to significant funding cuts as well as rising costs. Organisers have had to resort to launching a funding page to ensure the event goes ahead this year while Blacker had thousands of pounds languishing in a bank account."

Well Posh Lee could always stump up some of his thousands.

Posh Lee and his attempts to strong-arm local businesses last year are probably a substantial part of the cause of Splash's "funding cuts".

Seems odd having to close the BV business for the day, their hardly going to contribute to Splash.

Seems odd having to close the BV business for the day, their hardly going to contribute to Splash.
Will BV be closed on Splash day?

I think it was closed in the past, but that was because the owners didn't ever open it on Sundays iirc.

Wasn't there last year, but my mate was supposed to be DJing outside and it got cancelled at the last minute. Or maybe that was the year before...

not necessarily - plenty of businesses which have been around for a long time survive because they either own the building (having bought in the 70s/80s when properties were dirt cheap) or are on long term rent deals. Not everyone is paying £90k a year rent like Costa Coffee.
He also has his own record label with some good artists doing the vocals.I have a few with Beres Hammond,Gregory Isaacs,U Roy and Luciano.

He also has his own record label with some good artists doing the vocals.I have a few with Beres Hammond,Gregory Isaacs,U Roy and Luciano.
We were involved in planning to put out an album of his releases called 'Twenty Years on the Front Line'.

It now looks like it will eventually be called 'Twenty Two and a Half Years on the Front Line' :(

We were involved in planning to put out an album of his releases called 'Twenty Years on the Front Line'.

It now looks like it will eventually be called 'Twenty Two and a Half Years on the Front Line' :(
I cant imagine he will do the whole stretch maybe half or 2 thirds of the sentence if he keeps his nose clean in there.

Back
Top Bottom