Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

editor

hiraethified
Following on from the mighty Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn - Winter 2018-19 thread which clocked up 826 posts and over 47,000 page views, here's the spring edition.

ruskin-park-spring-2015-01.jpg

ruskin-park-spring-2015-07.jpg

ruskin-park-spring-2015-11.jpg

[South London’s Ruskin Park bursts into Spring, April 2015 – photos]

And here's a video that has absolutely nothing to do with Brixton

Prison awaits for these charmers.

A group of corrupt council benefits assessors who invented welfare claims to steal £1 million of taxpayers’ money have been jailed for a total of more than 17 years.

Lambeth council worker Menelik Cowan, 38, was a “driving force” behind the scam, abusing his access to the benefits system in order to siphon off money over the course of six years.

Cowan’s then girlfriend Natasha Francis, 38, his brother Hugh Small, 40, Cassandra Johnson, 38, Jessica Bartley, 35, Rahel Asfaha, 36, and Alexander Williams, 39, were also involved in the fraudagainst Kingston, Barking & Dagenham and Lambeth councils.

Fake identities were created to divert money into bank accounts under their control, and £1,025,912 was stolen before the fraud was exposed in 2016.

At Southwark crown court, Cowan was jailed for six and a half years for his leading role, having been convicted of multiple counts of fraud after a trial.

Small and Williams were both jailed for three and a half years, Asfaha was sentenced to two and a half years, Johnson was jailed for 18 months, and Bartley was given an 18-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months, as well as 200 hours of community service.

Francis, who was convicted at trial of money laundering, was sentenced to an 18-month community order and 200 hours of community service.
Jail for council staff who stole £1m in benefit claims con

Absolutely sickening. This is a full page advert in Time Out. No doubt there's similar ones in the Far East. BRX my fucking arse.

SHIT.jpg

Absolutely sickening. This is a full page advert in Time Out. No doubt there's similar ones in the Far East. BRX my fucking arse.
View attachment 165145
This article is interesting - considering this mass-produced tower shit is normally marketed in the Far East for buy-to-lets
Property overhang in Penang higher than London's? - anilnetto.com
"both London and Penang face similar problems: too much of the wrong kind of housing – expensive high-end stuff – and not enough of genuinely affordable housing. Yet, over here our planners are so cool about this mismatch"
http://But both London and Penang f...our planners are so cool about this mismatch.

View attachment 165145

From the blurb:

"Nowhere has an energy quite like Brixton. With an abundance of things to do, you can enjoy brunch at Brixton Market, browse independent shops, have dinner and drinks with friends, and dance the night away to blues & rock ’n’ roll music."

"This is a place to be yourself. Somewhere you can be whatever you like. Become someone new or just discover you. It’s an adventure. It’s wild. It’s a sanctuary and a community. It’s home."

"There’s nowhere better to start your mornings, end your evenings and fill the hours either side. Nowhere that hosts this kind of hustle and bustle, where cultures clash in the best way possible. Alive and kicking and buzzing with soul."

"Day or night, night or day. Life is too short to live for the weekend, it should be enjoyed every moment of every day. This is a place to be yourself. Somewhere you can be whatever you like. Become someone new or just discover you. It’s an adventure. It’s wild. It’s a sanctuary and a community. It’s home."

I see the usual suspects are doing their best to trash this thread with their usual childish, bitter, point-scoring, so I'm giving them both a week off this thread. A full ban would actually be deserved because they're both on mutual ignore which means they're breaking the rules with this nonsense, but I'm feeling charitable.

Yes it did happen at a club I happened to DJ at. It's absolutely not the crowd I like to DJ to but you sometimes don't get a lot of choice, regardless of what music you play. I believe they were Australians on a stag do.

Of course, I could post up plenty of pictures from the same club night showing a far more diverse 'Brixton' crowd but then I'd be playing their infantile game.

So fucking awful. Whitewashing the soul of Brixton.

Yes, indeed it is, but I did find a thread from years ago about the first Rock'n'Roll club in the UK being at The Coach and Horses in Brixton....but I doubt they did any research to establish this...

Yes, indeed it is, but I did find a thread from years ago about the first Rock'n'Roll club in the UK being at The Coach and Horses in Brixton....but I doubt they did any research to establish this...
It was the Crown & Anchor, but if you ask 100 people what music Brixton is famous for I'm confident the majority wouldn't say 'blues and rock and roll.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom