Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food there was really lovely. I went a lot in the first year but I found the owner (I assumed) really unpredictable. Sometimes he was really charming but other times he could be terribly moody from the moment you walked in. On those occasions it could feel really oppressive in the small area they had before opening the dining room across the way and I found myself avoiding it after a while. Not sure who was who but the guy I chatted to certainly seemed to have worked in a lot of good restaurants.

I think they overworked half the time. One day a half empty brixton village, the next the italian embassy etc.

That's ok: almost all champagne contains red grapes, sometimes exclusively so.
As does a lot of white wine. The colour of wine is less dependant on the colour of the grape, than how long the grape skins are allowed to remain in contact with the juice before it's strained off and fermented. The longer the exposure, the redder the wine. BTW the same goes for grape juice. </pedant>

I love how the Standard says that Brixton is going to get a Waitrose - presumably based on one tweet which said that Waitrose were looking for a site in Brixton.

As does a lot of white wine. The colour of wine is less dependant on the colour of the grape, than how long the grape skins are allowed to remain in contact with the juice before it's strained off and fermented. The longer the exposure, the redder the wine. BTW the same goes for grape juice. </pedant>

Exactly.
In France or Spain maybe, not so much in the UK.

Depends how obsessively you look!

Good post.

Shut up leanderman :p

bamboula is fucking awful. avoid.

Negril up the road is not. Do they do a lunchtime service?

Opposite for me; really enjoyed Bamboula, but wasn't impressed by Negril. Maybe it's because Negril was so highly recommended I was expecting something amazing.

Has anyone been to Bubba's near tulse hill station? Is that any good?

I love how the Standard says that Brixton is going to get a Waitrose - presumably based on one tweet which said that Waitrose were looking for a site in Brixton.
Actually, it was a quote in Time Out from their curiously named "director of convenience at Waitrose" which said, "We’re looking at opening stores in Stoke Newington and Brixton – which are both places which have opportunities for regeneration."

While we're on the subject of the villaaaaage and its restaurants...

I went to Cornercopia a couple of weeks back and was really disappointed. Been there a couple of times before, just after it first opened, and was really impressed by the food. It seems now, however, that they are no longer serving starters and main courses but so-called 'small plates'. You know the buy five things instead of two (all of which come out of the kitchen in any order they feel convenient) and spend twice the price. Anyway, I don't mind this approach if I go to a tapas bar but it seems to be taking over. The waitress said it was in response to the new clientele of the villaaaaage - 'food tourists' - so those that head to BV to eat a couple of dishes in one place before moving onto the next. Well really !! Call me old fashioned but sometimes I just want a restaurant to be a restaurant. Personally I find it a shame as Cornercopia used to be a really nice local restaurant experience. Damn those young things and their 'grazing'.

It's called the Pots of Brixton and is opening on Wednesday. Stall is near the junction of Brixton Station Road/Pope's Road. That is the sum total of my knowledge. :)
Sounds like a not very subtle front to me :hmm:

While we're on the subject of the villaaaaage and its restaurants...

I went to Cornercopia a couple of weeks back and was really disappointed. Been there a couple of times before, just after it first opened, and was really impressed by the food. It seems now, however, that they are no longer serving starters and main courses but so-called 'small plates'. You know the buy five things instead of two (all of which come out of the kitchen in any order they feel convenient) and spend twice the price. Anyway, I don't mind this approach if I go to a tapas bar but it seems to be taking over. The waitress said it was in response to the new clientele of the villaaaaage - 'food tourists' - so those that head to BV to eat a couple of dishes in one place before moving onto the next. Well really !! Call me old fashioned but sometimes I just want a restaurant to be a restaurant. Personally I find it a shame as Cornercopia used to be a really nice local restaurant experience. Damn those young things and their 'grazing'.
Last time I went there I got a pork chop and a pear for £11, which wasn't very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom