Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
morning-gloryville-1.jpg

Definitely not for me but if you're interested...

A ‘thousand sober ravers’ to dance barefoot in sand at Brixton Beach 7am ‘exercise party’

I wonder whether anyone has asked a structural engineer whether a flat roof which wouldn't be designed for any significant imposed load is able to support a thousand people jumping up and down on it...

Popped into Adams on Brixton Hill for a strong, cheap coffee and they've turned into an Ethiopian restaurant. They used to have one in the old camping shop but closed 12 years ago cos of high rents. Hope it works out for them as they're ace people:

http://www.adamsethiopian.com

omg - HURRAH! We used to go to that one in the camping shop (a LOT!) and it was our favourite restaurant (come club - it really got lively in there late at night) - we were gutted when they closed down!

This is GREAT news. :):):)

(eta - that link doesn't work)

There's a rumour that Chuka has moved, or is moving, to live in west London. No doubt he will be handsomely re-elected as MP for Streatham, but he will no longer be the "home boy" he described himself to be on 3rd August 2012 in the Evening Standard magazine.
"I couldn't imagine living anywhere else than my constituency" he gushed is the ES Mag.

There's a rumour that Chuka has moved, or is moving, to live in west London. No doubt he will be handsomely re-elected as MP for Streatham, but he will no longer be the "home boy" he described himself to be on 3rd August 2012 in the Evening Standard magazine.
"I couldn't imagine living anywhere else than my constituency" he gushed is the ES Mag.
I'll never forgive the posh Tory boy for this:
Justice Secretary Chris Grayling today came under growing pressure to extend tougher anti-squatting laws to cover commercial property.

Three senior Labour figures joined Conservative MPs in calling for squatting in commercial premises to be made a criminal offence, as it now is for homes.

Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna, former Labour minister Dame Tessa Jowell and Lib Peck, leader of Lambeth council, have written to Mr Grayling urging him to amend the law to protect shops, offices and other non-residential properties. They said: “The change in the law last year to criminalise squatting in residential properties has brought a welcome relief to homeowners in Lambeth.

“Unfortunately, the problem of squatters for commercial property owners has since worsened, and Lambeth has seen an increase in the number of squatters now specifically targeting non-residential buildings. Extending the law to protect businesses would be a welcome move.”

Make squatting in commercial property a crime, ministers told

There's a documentary about the bloke on the right of that photo - essentially his emotional breakdown.

And in terms of avoiding them - surely just not be around the station at 8 am on Friday the 18th May?

*** GENTRIFICATION WATCH ***

Spotted in Brixton Iceland this very morning: Frozen avocado halves, £2.50 per bag.

Will the madness never end? :(
I spotted they are now selling this - which is from a Ratebeer ***** rated brewery - St Peter's Brewery in Bungay Suffolk.

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to buy - even at the rather bourgeois price of £1.79, but I enjoyed it.

Looks Like the same (micro) brewery do stuff for Sainsburys own label, but presumably cheapskate Iceland just take the standard label product!
st peters.jpg

I spotted they are now selling this - which is from a Ratebeer ***** rated brewery - St Peter's Brewery in Bungay Suffolk.

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to buy - even at the rather bourgeois price of £1.79, but I enjoyed it.

Looks Like the same (micro) brewery do stuff for Sainsburys own label, but presumably cheapskate Iceland just take the standard label product!
View attachment 106866

St Peter's is great stuff. Tesco has stocked it for years. You can get it on draft at the Jerusalem Tavern in Farringdon.

Reactions: CH1

I hate this wanky shit. Its being going on in East London for a while now. Posh dickheads who think doing this before going to work in their offices is amazing, cool and edgy, and is the epitome of 'London life'. They probably describe it to their peers and work colleagues as 'like SGP (Secret Garden Party festival), but you know, like not, cos its before work, you know?!' in the hope of getting some adulation and admiration for doing something weirdly healthy and unusual.

Id advise them to get themselves into the 414 at 8am on a psy trance night if they want to dance about pretending they are crazy, rather than pissing people off, getting in the way, and no doubt offering 'free hugs' (hilarious!!!!) outside the tube station on Friday morning.

St Peter's is great stuff. Tesco has stocked it for years. You can get it on draft at the Jerusalem Tavern in Farringdon.
I was in there recently and noticed they now have their non-alcoholic beer on tap at the bar. I think it might be the first time I've seen a non-alcoholic beer on tap in the UK (something that's been around in eg. Germany for years). Sign of progress.

I was in there recently and noticed they now have their non-alcoholic beer on tap at the bar. I think it might be the first time I've seen a non-alcoholic beer on tap in the UK (something that's been around in eg. Germany for years). Sign of progress.

Yeh, it's scandalous that pubs are still associated with alcohol.

Spotted in Brixton Iceland this very morning: Frozen avocado halves, £2.50 per bag.

I don't understand why Iceland do this. People go to get stuff cheap I don't see people queing with frozen avocados.Btw the frozen vegetarian food is high quality and very cheap.

A few weeks ago I was at Ms Hatter's sister-in-law's house, where S-I-L spent some time extolling to me the virtues of frozen avocado halves. At some point when I subconsciously emerged from my bored stupor, I was reluctantly forced to admit that yes, it was rather convenient, and they would always be ripe (or something.) :confused:

True that. Stockwell Primary has been undersubscribed in recent years. The Early Years head said this is due to rent increases in the surrounding area meaning families are being forced out to areas where rents are more affordable.
Yep. Little Hatter would have probably gone there as it was just round the corner from us, but we couldn't really afford to live there any more. Much of the local streets are now buy-to-let houses filled with young professional sharers. Almost everyone I know around there with kids has moved out.

Yep. Little Hatter would have probably gone there as it was just round the corner from us, but we couldn't really afford to live there any more. Much of the local streets are now buy-to-let houses filled with young professional sharers. Almost everyone I know around there with kids has moved out.
They only recently expanded to three form entry so that wasn't too well planned

Must get there some time. Last time I went to a "proper" pub it was the Doric Arch at Euston last Saturday. Very god selection there.

I don't understand why Iceland do this. People go to get stuff cheap I don't see people queing with frozen avocados.Btw the frozen vegetarian food is high quality and very cheap.
I think it is this - people do indeed go to get stuff cheap, but also there is a certain amount of impulse buying of novelty stuff. That's how Lidl have operated for years. Iceland are just copying the psychology. Presumably if they get the mix right they can increase their overall profitability.

Well it depends on how many avocado halves are in the bag. Fresh avocados aren't that cheap so if the bag happened to contain the equivalent of, say, six or eight whole avocados then it'd be great value for money; not that different from buying frozen meat when you think about it.

If however they work out not particularly cheaper than fresh ones, then it seems a waste of time to me.

I'm with you on that - Iceland's great for cheap staples, not fancy stuff like avocados. It's like if the shouty man on the green grocer stall on Electric Avenue started selling quinoa...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom