Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH1

"Red Guard"(NLYL)
I thought I'd review this - although maybe no-one will see my comment due to it being May 1st already!

I had a very enjoyable hour at St Michael's listening to this programme by the Brixton Chamber Orchestra.

Must confess I was a few minutes late - but the running order was as far as I can remember was this. Apologies if I've omitted anything.

1. Mendelssohn Italian Symphony (No 4) - finale
2. Bach violin concerto in E Major slow movement
3. Mozart Symphony No 40 in G minor - opening movement
4. Mozart Horn Concerto no 4 - finale
5. Brahms Intermezzo from Symphony no 1
6. Elgar Cello Concerto slow movement
7. Haydn Trumpet Concerto in E flat - finale
8. Mozart Symphony No 41 "Jupiter" - finale

My feeling about the performance were that this was an amateur orchestra, so one doesn't expect perfection. Nevertheless there was some quite good playing here.

The venue - St Michael's Church, is interesting in itself being a sort of mid-Victorian Gothic building, but unusual in having cast iron columns to support the internal balcony and roof. The altar is - again unusually - at the west end of the church and there is modern stained glass in the apse above the altar. Maybe the original got blown out in the war?

The performances were vibrant - though the whole affair looked a bit more Stockwell than Brixton. In terms of sound balance the horns sounded very loud to me in the symphonic pieces - this may be to do with playing in a building like that - wooden panelling tends to reinforce brass instruments I think.

The programme had something for everyone who likes conventional classical music. I was very moved by the Elgar, which seemed near perfect and I also greatly enjoyed the Brahms. This was played slower than normal I think, but came over full of affection.

I hope this group can play some more, and that people will discover how good they are.

Best opening post for news, rumours and chat ever!
Would have liked to have gone to that was involved in putting on something more lowbrow at the time. I seem to have become involved in the improv indie genre.

Best opening post for news, rumours and chat ever!
Would have liked to have gone to that was involved in putting on something more lowbrow at the time. I seem to have become involved in the improv indie genre.
They wanted to do a free pop up show before the concert in Pop Brixton, but they were asked for a shitload of money for the privilege. I tried to find them another central Brixton venue on the day but the only one I could think of that was big enough was closed.

Opus lease is up for grabs if you've got £34k/annum (this goes down to £6k after sub lease)
Currently trading as a successful café under A3 consent, with an open main sales area, outside seating and ample back of house facilities with basement storage. The first, second and part basement floors are sublet to Afterlife Entertainment Ltd, T/A Beast of Brixton for a term expiring 30 May 2040 at a passing rent of £28,000 rising to £30,000 pa from 1st June 2019. Full details available upon request.

Some one said they saw me on the TV news this week, doing my veg shopping at a stall on Brixton Market. I didn't see it and had no idea I was being filmed. Don't know when it was shot as I haven't been market shopping this week. It was on ITV london news on tues or wed.

Anyone know what the coverage of Brixton was about?

The Hip Hop Chop Shop "restaurant" is now putting on full blown gigs, complete with bouncers on the door and gates for the crowds to queue in. Like a mini Dogstar if you will.

has anyone got a clue what this is ?
:confused:
It appeared in my inbox but the link demands that you join facebook which i'm not doing.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 17.49.05.png
*This is not an endorsement its just a question*

Appreciate this is non-Brixton issue, though some Urban members might have experience of the bank concerned.

Got a letter this morning saying my credit limit has been slashed on my Co-op credit card from £2,500 to £500.

On ringing the Co-op I was told

a - I should have rung before 4 pm because that department has gone home now.

b - I need to take out an Experian subscription to see if I have an adverse credit events affecting me.

I did open an Experian account (with the intention of cancelling beofre the free trial ends) - and I seem to be clean as a whistle. Which makes me wonder if this is some bizarre tidying up process on the Co-op's part.

I never wanted £2,500 of credit - which they advanced back 20 years ago. But on the other hand £500 seems a bit stingy for a customer with Home Insurance coming up shortly and the ever possible lure f booking holiday.

I won't ask people to share their credit limit as this is surely as sensitive as disclosing salary level - but has anyone recently had unexpected cuts to their credit limit?

Nope. But the Co-op bank has had a number of well-documented problems and is courting purchasers so I wonder whether it is reducing its liabilities.

Apparently Triodos is going to be launching a UK current a/c which will surely be more ethical than the Co-ops (particularly if the Co-op is bought by private equity). It is however based in the Netherlands and so its unclear what safeguards will be in place post-Brexit.

Reactions: CH1
Yes - not on a co-op card but a Nameless Other Bank credit card - because I'd been 2 days' late with a payment to broadband company within the last year. Got on the phone with NOB staff and queried it and they instantly changed my credit limit back to the original figure without demur.

Reactions: CH1
I want to be in favourof Triodos but their dodgy Steiner heritage and continuing support of marginal quackery puts me off.
Interesting - I've had a pleasant evening reading up on Steiner Waldorf education.

Rather than Steiner, R I have always been fascinated by George Steiner ever since his lecture series "In Duke Bluebeard's Castle" which someone has kindly put up on the net in book form. George Steiner is not at all like Rudolph, but nevertheless the shit hit the fan when he came out with "The portage to San Cristobal of A.H." This is not available free on the net - but a good review is available here.

Nope. But the Co-op bank has had a number of well-documented problems and is courting purchasers so I wonder whether it is reducing its liabilities.

Apparently Triodos is going to be launching a UK current a/c which will surely be more ethical than the Co-ops (particularly if the Co-op is bought by private equity). It is however based in the Netherlands and so its unclear what safeguards will be in place post-Brexit.
My brother offered this explanation:

- Their "total extended credit limits" is part of the capital requirement calculation. By reducing their customer limits they reduce the capital they have to have to meet the regulatory reserve limits. They cannot raise new equity, their only choice to is slash as much of the "unused" credit limit they have in the system. In short you do not borrow enough? -

To which the answer is I suppose Max it or Lose it!

morning-gloryville-1.jpg

Definitely not for me but if you're interested...

A ‘thousand sober ravers’ to dance barefoot in sand at Brixton Beach 7am ‘exercise party’

Might be old news to most you but with the Lexadon/Diamond hire development not going ahead I wondered what had happened to the Subourne school expansion. Looked on the school site and seems Lambeths land swap "deal" has not worked out so they need to find a new solution. Shame its taken so long to sort this out. Proposed School Expansion

Might be old news to most you but with the Lexadon/Diamond hire development not going ahead I wondered what had happened to the Subourne school expansion. Looked on the school site and seems Lambeths land swap "deal" has not worked out so they need to find a new solution. Shame its taken so long to sort this out. Proposed School Expansion

In the meantime demographics have changed and other local schools are undersubscribed.

In the meantime demographics have changed and other local schools are undersubscribed.

True that. Stockwell Primary has been undersubscribed in recent years. The Early Years head said this is due to rent increases in the surrounding area meaning families are being forced out to areas where rents are more affordable.

True that. Stockwell Primary has been undersubscribed in recent years. The Early Years head said this is due to rent increases in the surrounding area meaning families are being forced out to areas where rents are more affordable.

And housing benefit changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom