Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

editor

hiraethified
Following on from the January thread, welcome to the thread for the shortest month of the year.
I'd like some now please.

FUN FEB FACTS!

February is the second month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars. It is the shortest month of the year as it is the only month to have a length of less than 30 days. The month has 28 days in common years or 29 days in leap years, with the quadrennial 29th day being called the "leap day."

February is the third month of meteorological winter in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, February is the last month of summer (the seasonal equivalent of August in the Northern Hemisphere, in meteorological reckoning).

An update on the market trader.

After 60 years, Brixton family market traders forced out by Network Rail’s rent increases

I was there recently. He told me that the publicity and Cllr Rachel support( who he praised highly) has meant that Network Rail had a change of heart and are now negotiating. It's not certain yet what the outcome will be but he's much more optimistic.

I reckon NR don't like any more bad publicity.

It reminds me Cllr Rachel wasn't picked by Labour to be a candidate at next elections. She will be sorely missed.

An update on the market trader.

After 60 years, Brixton family market traders forced out by Network Rail’s rent increases

I was there recently. He told me that the publicity and Cllr Rachel support( who he praised highly) has meant that Network Rail had a change of heart and are now negotiating. It's not certain yet what the outcome will be but he's much more optimistic.

I reckon NR don't like any more bad publicity.

It reminds me Cllr Rachel wasn't picked by Labour to be a candidate at next elections. She will be sorely missed.
I had a long chat with the guy on the stall a couple of days ago and he said that Rachel had been brilliant. And, yes, hopefully they may stay after all.

It reminds me Cllr Rachel wasn't picked by Labour to be a candidate at next elections. She will be sorely missed

I have, in the past found her difficult to deal with, but with this & the library she has shown what a local councillor should be doing and I respect for her greatly for having, and sticking with principals. The other policy following non-thinking arseholes should take note.

When I lived in her ward I found Rachel great to deal with. We had some anti social and rubbish problems that the council weren't dealing with and once she stepped in all got escalated and resolved. She didn't shy away from dealing with residents issues.

The ‘new’ postbox on the corner of Brighton Terrace and Brixton Rd is closed :mad:

Art exhibition at Block 336:

bloomberg-block-336-brixton-07.jpg

bloomberg-block-336-brixton-14.jpg

bloomberg-block-336-brixton-20.jpg

In photos: Bloomberg New Contemporaries exhibition at Brixton’s Block 336 gallery

Not happy. Got a TFL email this morning saying no step free access at the Brixton underground till Sept. They are replacing the lifts.
I won't be using it then. I have a phobia of down escalators. :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

Not happy. Got a TFL email this morning saying no step free access at the Brixton underground till Sept. They are replacing the lifts.
I won't be using it then. I have a phobia of down escalators. :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(
Could you send me that so I can post up on Buzz and warn others? I couldn't find anything online.

Those lifts can't even be that old :/

The godawful The Edge development seems to be taking its time to be kitted out for the next batch of well heeled incomers.

2018-02-01_144941.jpg

Hello all... just wanted to let anyone interested know that the Brixton Job Centre is going to close in the next few months. I was really startled to hear this at my last appointment. Apparently the property has been 'bought out' and services are going to move to Kennington / Croyden / Peckham / lord knows where else. My [quite kind] advisor was more shocked than I, and totally agreed that this is a piece of nonsense, as Brixton town centre is the source of most of their 'clients' - and that the enormously expensive refurbishment of the Town Hall allowed no provision for the accommodation of its intended services. I'm aghast - whenever I am there, I see harried and stressed people, often old and on canes, or evident health / mental health problems; younger women with small kids etc - I wonder how long it will take them to get to a far-off sign-on, how much it will cost them, how many minutes late they might be on the bus to be sanctioned etc. It's [to me] another example of provision for the poorest being abandoned for cash, and clearing out evidence of poverty in Brixton. Ach!

Bloody hell that is awful kikiscrumbles .
It says in here that it's going to be "merged with" Kennington Park, Stockwell and Streatham jobcentres before June.
:(
Thank you Bimble. My advisor really couldn't specify where we are going to be sent [she mentioned Croyden etc] - and she works there, so no info! Ay ay ay... I think it's going to be tough for many people in my situation, with a 5 minute sanction window.

Hello all... just wanted to let anyone interested know that the Brixton Job Centre is going to close in the next few months. I was really startled to hear this at my last appointment. Apparently the property has been 'bought out' and services are going to move to Kennington / Croyden / Peckham / lord knows where else. My [quite kind] advisor was more shocked than I, and totally agreed that this is a piece of nonsense, as Brixton town centre is the source of most of their 'clients' - and that the enormously expensive refurbishment of the Town Hall allowed no provision for the accommodation of its intended services. I'm aghast - whenever I am there, I see harried and stressed people, often old and on canes, or evident health / mental health problems; younger women with small kids etc - I wonder how long it will take them to get to a far-off sign-on, how much it will cost them, how many minutes late they might be on the bus to be sanctioned etc. It's [to me] another example of provision for the poorest being abandoned for cash, and clearing out evidence of poverty in Brixton. Ach!
Not a good situation. I do feel for you. The same thing is happening with hospitals in West London. Although they may be creating great new hospitals, they are miles and miles away and the same transport problems apply for people who are ill, have no cash and who need to attend punctually and regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom