Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton history: Brixton Road and high level railway bridge

There was also a Burton on the corner, roughly where the Dunn Co shop is on the old photos, but a few yards back.

At the time of the big riots, I was still in the warm bosom of mother Manchester, but when I moved here in the late 1980s Burton was still there, or at least a Burton-style clothes shop with a Burton sign. Fairly sure I never went in.

I'd completely forgotten about Robills until it came up here. What a shop that was.

Dunn and co got burnt in I think the 1985 riots. Those shops got taken down after that and then when we got to see the whole of one of the bridge pillars which had an old advert on it. Sander's across the road was part of H Samuel group (which might have been all the ratner group -it pretty much closed after the 'jewellery is crap' comment) I worked in H Samuels and when we took the money to the bank, we would take it with the people from sanders. One day as they were leaving the jewellers, someone grabbed the bag of money. They must have been watching procedures for awhile. either that or it was an inside job...

Back
Top Bottom