Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Deliveroo Strike - September 2019

Which probably means the JustEat riders get paid even worse.

I think JustEat is just your traditional takeaway model over the internet - it handles the orders and passes them on but the actual delivery is handled by the takeaway. So it's going to vary depending on the business although I don't expect many are great employers. Deliveroo handles delivery as well.

I think JustEat is just your traditional takeaway model over the internet - it handles the orders and passes them on but the actual delivery is handled by the takeaway. So it's going to vary depending on the business although I don't expect many are great employers. Deliveroo handles delivery as well.
Just Eat also employ couriers.

JE use their own couriers now for some restaurants. For others the restaurant uses it's own staff.

Anywhere I have used JustEat with, it is a member of their staff who delivers the food.

I have spoken to some of the businesses, after having ordered from them before, and they have asked me to order from them directly. JustEat charge a big service fee to the consumer, which makes them order less, a big service fee to the restaurant, which lowers their profit margin, and all you get is the same food from the same place and delivered by the same person as if you had just phoned them.

I used JustEat a couple of weeks ago to find Jamaican food when Jerky Fridays was shut. Ended up with food from Negril and it was great. Next time, I will phone them directly and cut out the middleman of JustEat.

The rare times I do order delivery take away I always tip the drivers, in cash. And yes, usually try to order from the restaurants direct over the phone.

can't find anything about the reading thing other than the IWGB tweeter account above

sounds like the gathering of cycle couriers i saw friday evening was the start of friday evening's strike.

saw a tweet about brief bus disruption due to some sort of protest in reading town centre during saturday, but no info / local news on what it was about, so may or may not be connected.

I ordered an Ubereats the other day.

Was tracking the rider on his bicycle on the app and so was quite surprised when he turned up in an SUV.

This makes me wonder if it was some kind of dodge on his part. Not that I object. You do what you have to do on these shit jobs.

I ordered an Ubereats the other day.

Was tracking the rider on his bicycle on the app and so was quite surprised when he turned up in an SUV.

This makes me wonder if it was some kind of dodge on his part. Not that I object. You do what you have to do on these shit jobs.

Possibly not got the right car insurence to do delivery work? No idea if ubereats/je/deliveroo would bother to check that though. Might just have selected wrong vehical on the app.

I want to do a piece to support them but info seems very thin in the ground.

Might be worth messaging IWGB Couriers for more info and see if they need anything?

that, really.

i've never had anything to do with IWGB, but would imagine they don't exactly have the resources / media team that a larger union has. On their website, the 4th most recent item is a 1 month old advert for a press officer...

Piece here:

dilveroo-strike-pics.jpg

Brixton Deliveroo workers take strike action with protest outside Pop Brixton – Sat 21st Sept 2019

I’m generally in favour of work flexibility and the “gig” economy but I’ve never used Deliveroo and the more I read about them the less I like.

I like the fact that small restaurants get an immediate potential customer base through deliveroo but then do they really?

Their payments to drivers are really opaque and hard to understand. Which generally I take to mean that the riders are getting fucked over.

The whole point of the so called gig economy is so that the employer doesn't have to give things like sick pay , maternity pay. Everything is the responsibility of the worker. Including buying and maintaining ones own vehicle.

Some of these outfits are better than others but you can't get sick or get pregant. That is why the "gig" economy was set up.

Deliveroo from what I've heard from riders used to be ok when they first started. Once it became successful big company they didn't care any more about the riders. The idea that start ups struggle to pay well and when the become successful reward there workers better is a myth.

Its not really a gig economy. In order to make a living you have to put a lot of hours in. So its in practise not really that flexible.

There is a brilliant Turkish restaurant takeaway near us and I go there most Fridays for a takeaway. It’s really busy and I got chatting to a deliveroo driver while we were both waiting tonight

I told him I was there picking up rather than ordering from home because I think deliveroo fuck over the drivers.

He was telling me his problem is not with deliveroo at all and boycotting them helps nobody. His problem is with the customers he delivers to.

Deliveroo works really well for him. He’ll do 6pm - 10pm today and tomorrow and it will pay him “very well”. In this part of London there are less very good take aways and lots of customers. This leads to the good take aways being really busy and deliveroo “stacking” orders. He was waiting for 3 pick ups to go to 3 houses. This makes the pay good. It makes some customers pissed off because it makes the wait for food longer.

He can see how drivers in some areas could be unhappy.

Finally told me a specific type of customer are rude and inconsiderate beyond belief. Expecting him to park on red lines and take a chance with the fine for example.

As ever it’s not simple to try to do the right thing but I might order from deliveroo in the future after chatting with this guy.

There is a brilliant Turkish restaurant takeaway near us and I go there most Fridays for a takeaway. It’s really busy and I got chatting to a deliveroo driver while we were both waiting tonight

I told him I was there picking up rather than ordering from home because I think deliveroo fuck over the drivers.

He was telling me his problem is not with deliveroo at all and boycotting them helps nobody. His problem is with the customers he delivers to.

Deliveroo works really well for him. He’ll do 6pm - 10pm today and tomorrow and it will pay him “very well”. In this part of London there are less very good take aways and lots of customers. This leads to the good take aways being really busy and deliveroo “stacking” orders. He was waiting for 3 pick ups to go to 3 houses. This makes the pay good. It makes some customers pissed off because it makes the wait for food longer.

Finally told me a specific type of customer are rude and inconsiderate beyond belief. Expecting him to park on red lines and take a chance with the fine for example.

As ever it’s not simple to try to do the right thing but I might order from deliveroo in the future after chatting with this guy.

The Deliveroo drivers on strike outside Pop werent asking for boycott.

So the person you talked to had got the wrong end of the stick.

This was a strike. With drivers refusing to work at certain locations. Not asking people to boycott a place.

FYI I was chatting to someone who runs a food stall. He did use one of these "platforms".

Uber / Deliveroo work on the basis of being just internet "platforms".

As my friend say its great business model. They offload risk onto the drivers and food places whilst getting a cut from the work they do.

My friend in end stopped using them.

They make money out of those who do the real work and take the real risks.

Deliveroo etc are like landlords. A parastiical relationship feeding off the workers.

Back
Top Bottom