Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Artist Don Morgans

Lucy316

I've come across a thread from some time ago about Dominoes in Brixton which mentioned a painting by Don Morgans. Don lived in Brixton from 1979 until his untimely death in the late 1980s. He studied Fine Art in Cardiff having already completed an apprenticeship as a fitter & turner. The move to London was to be near the West End galleries & he had some success through Francis Kyle in Maddox Street. The sights & sounds of Brixton were a huge inspiration for Don. He entered various open competitions including the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition & the GLC Spirit of London. His entry depicting a bus stop scrummage, " Two Inside, One on Top", was runner up one year followed by his winning entry "Domino Players at the Atlantic". The whereabouts of these paintings is a bit of a mystery although Guildhall Art Gallery took over responsibility for the GLC's art collection. Don's success was recorded in the South London Press at the time & he appeared on Thames News accepting his prize from master forger, Tom Keating - see YouTube clip below.
Don gained various commissions including the Imperial War Museum, Fyffes Bananas & artwork for the Boothill Foot-Tappers. If anyone has further info I'd love to hear it.

Hi Lucy

‘Domino Players’ was indeed inherited by the Guildhall Gallery. I contacted them in 2013 and they were quite happy to retrieve it from storage for me to have a look.

It’s not in good shape, the constituent panels are coming apart and it’s ‘in need of restoration’.

I got some pictures, but in the poor light of the basement they didn’t come out very well.

Domino Players - Don Morgans - RESIZED.jpg

I’ve got a postcard of one of Don’s Cornish pictures:

Don Morgans Postcard.jpg

In ’84 Don gave me a watercolour of my VW beetle, it hangs on my bedroom wall. He really nailed it, down to the cable tie holding the front number plate on.

Don Morgans VW Beetle.JPG

Thanks Casaubon, that's a much better view of the Dominoes than in the Thames News clip, I'm really glad you tracked it down. I'll try & see it myself one day when we're allowed to do such things. I'd forgotten that postcard, I have one somewhere.
I've got some pics of Don's other works but am having trouble attaching them. Will try & post them separately or PM you.

Brixton Market (Electric Avenue), sorry either too dark or too bright, but you get the gist. Cardiff v Wrexham, Cardiff to go up & Wrexham to avoid relegation. Cardiff won.

Back
Top Bottom