Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol before your time...or perhaps during your time?

Doctor Carrot

Marxist Henchman
Certainly before my time as I was born in another city in the early 1980s. Anyway here's a cracking set of photos of Bristol in the 1970s.

I love the colour of the buildings in the background of this photo. Burke's been there for quite some time hasn't he? Does anyone know precisely why he's in that pose?

142629888_0efc7d4d96.jpg

Bristol before your time

Has anyone actually heard the Bristol hum .?........I couldn't tell it apart from tinnitus even if I had ...

Love the cars in the photos ....so few of them ....

Has anyone actually heard the Bristol hum .?........I couldn't tell it apart from tinnitus even if I had ...
Several times - especially when I lived in Bristol 7 - mind you the speedway was still operating back then.

I love the Eastville junction photo. I wonder why they demolished such a beautiful building and replaced it with a hideous office block?

I'd forgotten or never noticed how impressive the Metropole cinema on Ashley road was.
A shame they had to lose that facade..

Currently listening to the great double-CD set 'The Bristol Reggae Explosion'.

CD 1 is 1978-1983; CD 2 is the 1980s. Highly recommended. Some fantastic tunes and sounds, from well before the time I started visiting Bristol regularly.

Love the cars in the photos ....so few of them ....

I used to live on Fremantle Square in Kingsdown in the early 90s. One day the bloke next door burst into our flat and started listening manically to all our electric appliances. Spouting stuff like "Where is it!?! "

He was looking for the source of the hum.

I seem to remember he was a crossword setter for the Daily Telegraph. Which surely requires a lot of concentration.

Back
Top Bottom