Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bordeaux - what to see and do in and around it?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
I'm going for a few weeks, so any suggestions above and beyond the usual touristy stuff? I like music, good food, art, etc.

Does anyone know if there's a listings magazine equivalent to City Life? I'd like to look up in advance some stuff to see and do, don't want to do that thing where you get somewhere, find your feet and your bearings, and then in week two or three you find out there was an amazing event/gig in the city in week one and you missed it, because you didn't know it was happening.

There's the Jean Moulin museum. And worth doing a vineyard tour (you can do an organised bus thing). St Emilion is a pretty place for a day trip. And of course there's the wine. Mmm.

Eta Just to say that I went early May and it was really hot so be prepared for that.

There's the Jean Moulin museum. And worth doing a vineyard tour (you can do an organised bus thing). St Emilion is a pretty place for a day trip. And of course there's the wine. Mmm.

Eta Just to say that I went early May and it was really hot so be prepared for that.
I hadn't heard of Jean Moulin, had a quick Google, he had an important role in the resistance, will check out that museum, thanks.

I've recently watched the French series Women at War/Les Combattantes, which was really interesting, albeit a fictionalised version of the experiences of many women's lives/roles at that time.

Thought-provoking, how relatively easy all that happened then, and the rise of the right today. We think it can't happen again, and yet...

Re the weather, funnily enough, I'd just looked up the weather and saw that it'll 18 degrees upwards, might just about hit 30 before I come back. I was just thinking it might be a bit nippy to begin with and I might need two or three jumpers, instead of just one. I lived in Qatar for two years where it was often 40+, so I was thinking Bordeaux seems rather mild by comparison. 😂

Re the weather, funnily enough, I'd just looked up the weather and saw that it'll 18 degrees upwards, might just about hit 30 before I come back. I was just thinking it might be a bit nippy to begin with and I might need two or three jumpers, instead of just one. I lived in Qatar for two years where it was often 40+, so I was thinking Bordeaux seems rather mild by comparison. 😂
I reckon it was about 30 when I was there and that was over the BH weekend at the start of May so...

I reckon it was about 30 when I was there and that was over the BH weekend at the start of May so...
Good to know, thanks.

Although with climate change, it's impossible to predict. Easter bank holiday just gone, was enjoying the sun in the park opposite here in Manchester, two days later on bank holiday Monday there was a hailstorm. Madness.

Reactions: Sue
Monbazillac is one of the best places for dessert wine if that’s your thing. Parents went there when I was a kid - remember finding it boring but was old enough to drink the last few bottles of the case and enjoyed it

It seems to be near Bergerac :)

Monbazillac is one of the best places for dessert wine if that’s your thing. Parents went there when I was a kid - remember finding it boring but was old enough to drink the last few bottles of the case and enjoyed it

It seems to be near Bergerac :)
I quite like a glass of a nice dessert wine as an apéro.

Last edited:
If you're there that long I would certainly recommend a trip to St Emillion. Pick me up a 1990 Grand Cru please.
I'll be flying back. I think there's still restrictions on bringing liquids through security. And I wouldn't trust them not to break it when throwing luggage into the hold. But now you've mentioned it, I'll look out for it and have a glass while I'm there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom