Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boomtown 2022

editor

hiraethified
Not sure if this is actually going to happen but they've sent this out today:

Hello,

After what can only be described as a challenging summer, Boomtown the UK’s largest independent, theatrically led festival is back and raring to go! There's a huge amount going on, with some really exciting changes that we are looking forward to sharing with you.

As a response to the pandemic, today (Thursday 24th September), at 1pm Boomtown will announce a reduction in ticket price for the 2021 festival. This will be followed by an update on all event details including Boomtown's ethos, right through to the creative vision for 2021, plus tickets going on sale on Thursday 1st October.

Following a summer of re-evaluation and close scrutiny of all departments Boomtown has reimagined how the festival will be run enabling it to reduce the ticket price and enhance the elements that make it such a unique experience. All the information is included in the release below including the changes to ticket prices and policy.

I don't think I'll be going, but here's the press release for anyone who's interested. I hope they manage to pull it off.

Boomtown announces Chapter One: The Gathering, a jaw dropping reinvention for 2021!
Tickets on sale Today (Thursday 1st October) at 7pm

Boomtown, the UK’s largest independent festival, has today revealed the next incarnation of the musical and theatrical event; Chapter One: The Gathering. They have announced they are resetting; they are no longer going to release the line up, have changed the layout of the festival and introduced a new story and have reduced ticket prices, all ahead of the 2021 tickets on sale at 7pm this evening.

After embracing the chance to pause and reflect throughout the summer months, when the global pandemic put a halt to all festivals and mass gatherings, Boomtown has announced they are “Resetting from the foundations to allow us to really get things right and to be the forward-thinking, progressive, and inspirational festival community we know we can be. By starting a brand new story with Chapter One: The Gathering, this allows us even more scope to start afresh, with our ethos, creativity and ambition all aligning into one combined vision.”

As a fiercely independent festival, Boomtown is known at times to put its head above the parapet and go against the grain of industry standards, as they did with their outspoken harm reduction campaign in 2017. This time, as part of this newly announced reset, Boomtown has made the bold decision to no longer release the line up ahead of the event, keeping the majority of acts secret until just before the festival.

Commenting on the change in music strategy, the Boomtown team says; “We have spent months debating whether this was the right thing to do but what is clear, is that there are many aspects to the way the music industry runs that don’t work for independent festivals. The complex process of releasing a music line-up with the exclusivity, billing and escalating costs has led us to decide this is the time to rethink the way we approach it and explore new ways of doing things.”

“We have always been a creatively led festival and people attend Boomtown because of the overall experience; we will continue to book incredible headline artists, and all the festival favourites, but by approaching our programming announcements in this radical way, we can create lineups that are even more phenomenal and diverse than we have ever been able to before.”
Boomtown Founders

Another change released in today’s announcement is that Boomtown has reimagined the festival layout. The Main City and its unique worlds will all now be located in what was previously known as ‘Downtown Boomtown’. Every main stage is a brand new concept and nestled deep into magical district surroundings. For the first time ever we will be using every inch of the ‘Downtown’ valley to build up the most detailed festival city we’ve ever dreamt up! Around the city will be the beautiful, forest chillouts and woodland parties we love to escape to.”

You can check out the creative vision for this new layout in the brand new trailer for Chapter One: The Gathering here.

In 2020 for Chapter 12, Boomtown’s last action was to announce a State of Emergency, never imagining what was about to happen globally. Chapter One: The Gathering introduces Boomtown’s new vision of a post pandemic world where the State of Emergency has become a State of Emergence that has risen from the ashes of the old. It is a new world, accompanied by a new story that is waiting to be told that focuses on reflection, acceptance and reconnection. It is a time of celebration, a time to come together, a time of gathering. For more information see our story page here.

Tickets
The final part of the post pandemic reinvention strategy was announced last week when Boomtown released the 2021 ticket prices have been reduced, and all existing ticket holders receive a partial refund. Additionally, the usual Tier system has been replaced with ticketing phases, which means there will be far more of the lower priced tickets available.

“With so many people going through so much right now, we felt it was vital for us to reduce the ticket price to make it easier to attend for all. By reimagining how we run and create Boomtown, we’ve been able to reduce the ticket price, but also enhance the parts that make us a truly unique experience.” Boomtown founders

With over 90% of the 2020 ticket holders choosing to support Boomtown by rolling their 2020 tickets over to 2021, Boomtown now has less than half the ticket allocation remaining. Tickets are expected to fly out of the door, so anyone intrigued to go and discover what the new Boomtown will be like, should jump on the ticket page here for when the 2021 tickets are released this evening (Thursday 1st October) at 7pm.

For Further Information:
If you would like any more information, or would like an interview with the Boomtown founders, then please do get in touch with Katherine James at press@boomtownfair.co.uk. Please find the link to the latest festival gallery images here and the trailer here.

Ticket Prices Breakdown:
All tickets include entry and camping at the festival and will be available from www.boomtownfair.co.uk at 7pm on 1st October

Public Transport Saver Festival Entry Tickets (Standard adult 18+)

• Phase 1 - £199 (coach & shuttle packages only: Instalment available)
  • Phase 2 - £215 (coach & shuttle packages only: Instalment available)
Festival Entry Ticket: Valid from Thursday-Sunday (Standard adult 18+)

• Phase 1- £209 - Instalment available
  • Phase 2- £225 - Instalment available
Festival Entry Ticket + Wednesday Upgrade: Valid from Wednesday-Sunday (Standard adult 18+)

• Phase 1 - £229 - Instalment available
  • Phase 2 - £245 - Instalment available
Families:

• Children 0-12 years - FREE!
  • Teens: 5 Day Festival Entry Ticket (13-17) £150 These tickets will become available on the 8th October
Keep up to date with all the Boomtown news via Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube and sign up to the mailing list here.

Festivals (more than events) have a lot of self employed/casual staff so can move quicker than a lot of exhibitions/venues/etc in these times.
But those freelancers are sinking, there's really desperate posts on industry FB pages I'm on - people falling through the cracks and getting no govt funding, obvs no furlough, sometimes no UC ... Having to sell equipment and give up premises, getting 'proper' jobs etc.

Boomtown is going against the tide in saying next year might happen - several festivals have mothballed until 2022.

Festival organisers need to be honest with themselves. 2021 is going to be a mirror of 2020. I hope I am wrong.
But.... vaccines are probably going to be available by March but it'll take a year to vaccinate everyone as there is a priority list and need to make them all safely etc.
Until vaccinations happens or we decide outdoor mass gatherings are ok, it'll be fine. I can't see how 2021 festivals can happen.

Sunray : I'm a little bit more oprimistic about vaccines and their timing/speed of distribution next year than you, but there's a big vaccine discussion in another thread :oops:

Vaccines are a vital part though, of whether and when and which festivals will happen next year .....

As for Boomtown, I went in 2019 and told myself that the expense and difficult logistics meant I wouldn't be going back for a while.

But now, after 2020's non-season, I'd seriously contemplate going back (depending on all sorts, obviously)

Sunray : I'm a little bit more oprimistic about vaccines and their timing/speed of distribution next year than you, but there's a big vaccine discussion in another thread :oops:

Vaccines are a vital part though, of whether and when and which festivals will happen next year .....

As for Boomtown, I went in 2019 and told myself that the expense and difficult logistics meant I wouldn't be going back for a while.

But now, after 2020's non-season, I'd seriously contemplate going back (depending on all sorts, obviously)

2021 is cancelled due to basic logistics.

Even if they start vaccinations in January how long do you think it's going to take to give everyone a vaccination. Remember they are going to be given out in a biased way at the start so don't expect to be getting one much before the summer at the earliest.

Festivals need to plan a bit longer into the future and be on more solid ground than a partially vaccinated population. Boomtown or any summer festival would ( or if they had sense won't) be in full preplanning by now. I think any possibility of mass gathering like a festival being legal next summer is close to zero.

Big multi-day festivals would be super spreaders and will be the last type of event to get licenced to run. I can't see any council anywhere agreeing to a festival until 2022 by which time we will know if it's all over or not.

It is possible but would not bet on it happening sorry to say. My June 2021 event has now been cancelled sadly. Looking at the way events are going summer is possible but 50/50 at best due to logistics and planning regardless of vaccine.

Have booked tickets for James and Happy Mondays for December 2021 so hopeful. Not being negative, just realistic regards large gatherings.

There is an argument going on to decide if 25% of football fans can get in a stadium (with temperature checks and tracking details) in January. I am sure festivals will follow suit but...

Festivals really walk a tightrope. They have so many independent cost commitments and no 'assets' like a football stadium/venue so it is really hard. Admittedly some festival organisers have control or some say in the land they use or rent and some deals can be done but it is going to be a loss making year regardless if they happen or not.

Boomtown does have a chance.

June/July (corporate) events in big venues are cancelling already so be cautious. Organisers and venues really really want to have a plan and deliver but there is a lot of false hope.

Most festivals and events use ticketing agents who will protect your money in case of cancellation.

2021 is cancelled due to basic logistics.

Even if they start vaccinations in January how long do you think it's going to take to give everyone a vaccination. Remember they are going to be given out in a biased way at the start so don't expect to be getting one much before the summer at the earliest.

Festivals need to plan a bit longer into the future and be on more solid ground than a partially vaccinated population. Boomtown or any summer festival would ( or if they had sense won't) be in full preplanning by now. I think any possibility of mass gathering like a festival being legal next summer is close to zero.

Big multi-day festivals would be super spreaders and will be the last type of event to get licenced to run. I can't see any council anywhere agreeing to a festival until 2022 by which time we will know if it's all over or not.
NHS England’s draft plan to roll out Covid vaccines to all adults in England from January, and have all over-18s in England who want one vaccinated by April. Each vaccination requires two doses, taken 28 days apart. The NHS expects to deliver 7 million doses to 3.5 million people in December alone, followed by 4-5 million more every single week from January. The moonshot plan is to deliver 88.5 million vaccination doses – to over 44 million people – all by the end of April.

• Care home residents and staff, healthcare workers – from the beginning of December;
  • Ages 80 plus – from mid-December;
  • Everyone aged 70-80 – from late December;
  • Everyone aged 65-70 – from early January;
  • All high and moderate risk under 65s – from early January;
  • Everyone aged 50-65 – from mid-January; and
  • Everyone aged 18-50 – from late January; but with the bulk of this group vaccinated during March.

For a while now, and like others here, I've become near-100% convinced that there won't be a Boomtown in 2021
(and much more convinced than I was even just back in November -- when I had that exchange with Sunray further up)

According to the Boomtown web page mind you, they claim(ed) to be planning on it going ahead.
There's nothing anywhere near recent on either that page or their Facebook though, so no Fair until August 2022 remains my bet.

Last edited:
For a while now, and like others here, I've become near-100% convinced that there won't be a Boomtown in 2021
(and much more convinced than I was even just back in November -- when I had that exchange with Sunray further up)

According to the Boomtown web page mind you, they claim(ed) be planning on it going ahead.
There's nothing anywhere near recent on either that page or their Facebook though, so no Fair until August 2022 remains my bet.
Likewise I can't see Boomtown happening. There's been coverage in the local media about it - the organisers are clearly hoping it will happen, but it won't.

Local tories are clearly hoping it doesn't happen and the whole organisation goes bust as a result, and that that would be the end of it.

Bastards.

Likewise I can't see Boomtown happening. There's been coverage in the local media about it - the organisers are clearly hoping it will happen, but it won't.

Local tories are clearly hoping it doesn't happen and the whole organisation goes bust as a result, and that that would be the end of it.

Bastards.

Why I was hoping, by preparing for '22, they would survive and be OK.
They were preparing for '21 with no end in sight of a global pandemic that has taken 100,000 lives in the UK alone. 2020 showed us, during a pandemic, predicting what's happening tomorrow is difficult to impossible, 6-12 months ahead? Doomed.

If they go all-in for '22, I think it would be amazing.

I understand the organisers want (and likely financially need) to go ahead this year but there is absolutely ZERO chance of this happening this year.

So they will now be trying to get contractors, artists and punters to commit to something that will not happen. Utter fucking idiocy from a brand and business sense.

Sorry again for negative posts but we festy goers need to be realistic. I am 45 and the vaccine 'predictor' has me predicted for June. Have a tenuous hope that I can see my elderly parents in late May as a replacement for Christmas. The fact any festival or event organiser 'predicts' that any event with 1000+ people is going to happen this year is not just irresponsible, it is negligence.

I am angry and sad about this but seriously...

Have worked in event management for a long time now and there is literally NOTHING I would be planning indoor or outdoor for this year. As I mentioned above the money and manpower of the Premier League football clubs currently can't let 25% of 30-50k fans into a corporate outdoor stadium. If you think there is a chance of a 30k ticket + staff messy festival is going happen you are deluded.

Curious about the 'locals only event' (mentioned on the local mailing list). I wonder if they need to put on some sort of event to keep the million quid grant.
Bummer, was looking forward to it.

It was always a long shot

In light of the continued situation with the global COVID-19 pandemic, the UKs largest independent festival, Boomtown Fair has just announced that it will no longer be proceeding with the 2021 event and it will be postponed for the second consecutive year. The next instalment of the music and theatrical festival will now take place on 10th-14th August 2022.

The 66,000 capacity event which was sold out in February was due to return to the Matterley Estate, nr Winchester over 11th-15th August 2021 for the launch Chapter One: The Gathering. However, owing to the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic and critically the lack of a Government backed COVID specific insurance scheme to provide a vital safety net to events this summer, the organisers have come to the difficult decision to no longer go ahead in 2021.

Back
Top Bottom