Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Books with secret portals

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has one in it, resulting in a sofa becoming impossibly stuck halfway up.some stairs, iirc.

The Book of the New Sun is a remarkable series, the feeling of the story is what stays with you even more so than the phantasmagorical setting and complex but easy to read story.

It is one of those books that stays with you even though you may never be able to build a complete picture of the whole thing, the main character is a torturer and executioner but a humane and sympatico person who is both an ingenue and a messiah.

It has echos with both Grimmelshausen's Simplicissimus from the 17th C and modern sci fantasy like the Prince of Thorns, a fascinating series and thought provoking in unexpected ways.

Don't know whether the Tinderbox qualifies.
This from wikipedia by way of plot summary

The story opens with a poor soldier returning home from war. He meets a witch, who asks him to climb into a hollow tree to retrieve a magic tinderbox. The witch gives the man permission to take anything he finds inside the chambers, but he must return the tinderbox. In the tree, he finds three chambers filled with precious coins guarded by three monstrous dogs, "one with eyes the size of teacups", who guards a vault filled with pennies, one with "eyes the size of water wheels", who guards a vault filled with silver, and one with eyes "the size of Round Tower", who guards a vault filled with gold. He fills his pockets with money, finds the tinderbox, and returns to the witch. When she demands the tinderbox without giving a reason, the soldier lops off her head with his sword.

I saw the Langoliers but it was a bit crap and I don't remember the portal bit, only that they were stuck where time gets dismantled by cheap CGI.
I thought we were meant to believe the plane was the portal, or it flew through a timey wimey portal or something.
And yeah, it was very shit on TV.

Back
Top Bottom