Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black & White Stripey Tops - irrational dislike

Immortalised by the Beatles in 1969 with something a little more permanent and for all to share and rejoice in. Surely we can "come together" over this.
1675239341445.jpeg

Watching the first series of Euphoria, just got up to the chilling scene where the terrifying manipulative villain has his triumphant appearance at the Halloween party:
1677194245196.png

Watching the first series of Euphoria, just got up to the chilling scene where the terrifying manipulative villain has his triumphant appearance at the Halloween party:
View attachment 364352
looks like a prison outfit yeah? its all part of the punishment. in fact you could skip prison and just sentence someone to wear that for 5 years, i reckon it would work as a punishment and deterrent

looks like a prison outfit yeah? its all part of the punishment. in fact you could skip prison and just sentence someone to wear that for 5 years, i reckon it would work as a punishment and deterrent
I thought you would at least admire it as a Halloween costume, pretty scary no?

Was looking for something completely different, found this instead:
tumblr_p4zf2lL4nj1u1fmf3o1_1280.jpg

I like stripey tops. Photo taken on boat to Brittany; coals to Newcastle next stop.

51421997519_24f7361efe.jpg
:D:cool:

Stripey tops have been part of the (U.S. primarily) biker scene since the 1940s at least. I guess from the prison uniform to start with (Auburn system - Wikipedia).

Lee Marvin wore one in The Wild One (basically the blueprint for 'outlaw biker' fashion). I think he looks cooler than Brando with his magic cap and his zipped to the neck leather.

View attachment 286500View attachment 286501

Marvin based his character's look on Wino Willie Forkner, ex WWII serviceman and founder of the Boozefighters motorcycle club in 1946, ABOUT — BOOZEFIGHTERS MC.

At The Hollister Riot in 1947 (on which The Wild One was loosely based Hollister Riot - One Percenter Bikers):

View attachment 286503

Forkner wore stripes as he was a racer for the Yellowjackets MC (The Yellow Jackets MC) so there's a prison stripe vs racing club split - prison stripes are all the way across; racing stripes just the arms.

View attachment 286506

Photo taken in 1968 showing Terry the Tramp (Oakland HAMC) kneeling to the right (arm on mc wheel). Standing behind him is original San Francisco chapter president Frank Sadilek apparently wearing Lee Marvin's striped jersey from 1953's The Wild One. It doesn't look the same to me though so either someone fibbed or Marvin had more than one jumper.

View attachment 286508

Now that there's a newish wave of middle class 'moto culture' (eg Bike Shed Motorcycle Club | Dining, Barbers & Motorcycle Clothing), stripey tops based on the above are all over the 'scene'; called prison stripes...

View attachment 286510

The above possibly comes via Japan though; Japanese skaters/bikers took loads of inspiration from 40s/50s/60s US biker styles and made them incredibly cool and detailed. A guy called Go Takamine is a big name on the scene in Japan and 'invented' Brat Style (What is a Brat Style Motorcycle? Our Definition & BIKE FOR SALE | BRATSTYLE-ブラットスタイルBRATSTYLE-ブラットスタイル), stripes were/are a big part of that in the early-mid 2000s.

View attachment 286513View attachment 286514

Though that might also be inspired by Jack Nicholson in 1970's The Rebel (T)Rousers:

View attachment 286515

Or you could go full midlife crisis O Brother, Where Art Thou?

View attachment 286519
aka 'moto-stripe' :facepalm:

9 years. Fucking chancers :D:cool:

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 17.41.19.png

mfh_russian_marine_shirt_longsleeve_summera_2.jpg

I'm not judgemental about clothes at all - I really couldn't give a shit what anyone is wearing, and never judge people by their clothes.
Apart from black and white stripey tops. Which make me sneer a little. I don'y understand why. I don't know what it means. I don't know where it comes from. Theyre all over the place. Its a standard bit of clothing.
Does anyone else have a similar feeling or can say what its about?

Feeling extends to most horizontally striped tops, but especially black/blue and white ones

ms45-armor-lux-breton-long-sleeve-t-shirt_1.jpg
I wanted a blue and white striped sailor top from the age of 15 for some reason.
I needed up getting a blue and white striped top a bit like that from a charity shop a couple of years ago.

Sure we've all seen the news about Michael Cera being cast as Allan in the new Barbie movie?
Fs4dUCsWwAEcsKY

main-qimg-eef551574e64d92de6d6e991e2c83866-lq

Back
Top Bottom