Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black & White Stripey Tops - irrational dislike

Pm me.

I have to admit this thread has been cathartic. Now when I see one, which is often, I get a little positive reinforcement buzz, endorphins I guess.... Always thinking of you urban x
do you have the good stuff?

;-)

really need to update my breton selection. did have a really nice cream one with navy stripes but got a stain.
decent ones seem to go for good money considering it's such a simple design.
any recommendations would be welcome.

Red+stripes+landscape+-+annotated+red+5.jpg

In my opinion one can never have too many Breton tops. But how to add that extra je ne sais quoi? Hand-paint the stripes, that's how! Vaguely horizontal but with a nonchalant messy edge to them. Neat stripes are soooo last week.

This is a great way to upcycle a boring old top or to turn a homemade garment into something that screams Agnès B. I must credit Creative Accomplishments for providing the original inspiration for this make, which I've adapted somewhat. Here's how to create your own...

You will need:
  • Plain white t-shirt
  • Fabric or screen printing paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Old newspaper
  • Optional: buttons in a matching or contrasting colour to the paint

The breton top and French workers jacket combo seems to be much more the preserve of the slightly hip middle aged British man than the French these days, have to say. I was at a concert in Manchester in the spring and it felt like at least half the men there were wearing some version of it. Whereas in Paris in the summer, the look was nowhere to be seen.

It has to be good, the Guardian has recommended it, just £22.70 as well A shopping guide to the best … dressy tops

1000.jpg
It's hideous. Looks like a West Brom shirt with a frilly neck.

ETA - it really annoys me how the Guardian promotes stuff to 'thrift' - as if you'd be able to replicate said bargain. Buying secondhand is good but this is just virtue-signalling.

It's hideous. Looks like a West Brom shirt with a frilly neck.

ETA - it really annoys me how the Guardian promotes stuff to 'thrift' - as if you'd be able to replicate said bargain. Buying secondhand is good but this is just virtue-signalling.
I guess they're drawing your attention to the second hand clothes websites they are/were for sale on (one of the items appears to still be available anyway if you're quick)

Back
Top Bottom