Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black & White Stripey Tops - irrational dislike

004_23.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2022-01-28_084359_www.google.com.png
Stupid striped t-shirts and seagulls with wings
These are a few of my most hated things

Currently reading, and loving, Saidiya Hartman's Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments. One of the final sections, perhaps one of the strongest in a very strong book, is an extended portrait of Mabel Hampton, "chorine [I didn't know this word, it means chorus girl], lesbian, working-class intellectual, and aspiring concert singer", a really compelling depiction of Hampton's attempts at making a life for herself in the 1920s and 1930s. And it even has pictures so we can all appreciate her fine sense of style:

Rk7TkYe.jpg

Today in green-eggs-and-hamming ska into approving of stripey tops, what about whatever this fella dancing with Audrey Hepburn while smoking a fag has going on?
3ba12ee7ec29748a861196315a5d9713b11392cf.gifv

d79172fd07f0ca93fc14ffc0378e043156980274.gifv

f60971db7d34bea7c7d3f75674cffbd4d7ba1630.gifv

I'm particularly fascinated by the way he briefly starts dancing like he's in a Sick of It All video in the last one there:

It's a useful illustration of the kind of Briton being told to get out of Ukraine. A good policy then... hopefully this stripe purge will spread
Unfortunately for The Cause, I think that picture seems to have been illustrating this article:

About Dehenna Davison, of unfortunate photos fame:

Relatedly, not doing much good for the image of yellow and blue stripey tops either:
5e414115210000550016dbd7.png

A few weeks back I went round to see my little sister and it turned out she was wearing a top with thick white stripes and thin black stripes and her boyfriend was wearing a top with thick black stripes and thin white stripes (or possibly vice versa), I proper had to stop myself from going "excuse me, I just need to document this scene for the benefit of ska from off of the internet".

A few weeks back I went round to see my little sister and it turned out she was wearing a top with thick white stripes and thin black stripes and her boyfriend was wearing a top with thick black stripes and thin white stripes (or possibly vice versa), I proper had to stop myself from going "excuse me, I just need to document this scene for the benefit of ska from off of the internet".
i live inside your head now, so my work is done

how embar-aa-siiing
Opera Snapshot_2022-03-22_125547_www.urban75.net.png

I used to like John Smedley. Now, not so muchView attachment 315417
Ah, the lesser-spotted rainbow and white stripy top there.
let's see if i got this.

so 5t3IIa is the little sister of hitmouse & she's dating a statue in a stripey top. ska invita has quit work & is squatting in the head of hitmouse , while @alexanderboris is contemplating love lost, on a slippery slope in leeds?

bit confusing.

View attachment 315463
Excellent post, I was trying to think of something about David Peace writing a follow-up to The Damned United about Don Revie being tormented by visions of stripy tops but this is much better.

Back
Top Bottom