Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

bizarre classical music blaring at Brixton tube

I was wrong it is social engineering. I just spoke to a guy from metronet and its a trial in certain stations to combat anti social behavoir. If it works it's there to stay.

Pleased that it's not Vivaldi or boringly twee old Papa Haydn...I prefer Shostakovich* meself, but Beethoven at 7am has been very welcome.

*The seventh would be good for the seige mentality I sometimes feel at Brixton tube when being harried by the more aggressive travelcarders.

I must admit to mixed views about this. On the one hand, I think it's absolutely right to consider the soundscape as an integral as part of the environment as architecture or decor - and it can have a huge impact on how people feel and behave. I believe it's been established that listening to classical music whilst driving actually reduces the likelihood of accidents

But, I feel a bit queasy about some of the createst achievements of human creatvity becoming a kind of wallpaper and actually being diminished in the process. A bit like the irritation of when adverts use a favourite piece of music and then the association takes hold and you can't rid your mind of it everafter.

Perhaps if it's successful, London Transport will consider actually commissioning music specially for the purpose, just as they commission artworks for their posters. This fella would have something to contribute:

B000003S2K.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

pooka said:
Perhaps if it's successful, London Transport will consider actually commissioning music specially for the purpose, just as they commission artworks for their posters. This fella would have something to contribute:

Why can't they just have some decent buskers? :confused:

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Why can't they just have some decent buskers? :confused:

Wasn't there a duo (violinist and flautist :confused: ) seen and heard occasionally at the bottom of the escalator at Brixton about ten years ago (before LU went through one of their "tough on busking" phases)

Does anyone remember when Woolworths used to occassionally have some bird playing a great big classical harp near the entrance? Not sure if she was to deter shoplifters.

Back
Top Bottom