Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bicycle light recommendations

Tricky Skills

I'm looking for recommendations for bike lights. I'm after front and rear. They needn't be sold as a pair. Ideally I want lights that have no fixed mount so that I can easily swap them between different bikes. USB charging would be a bonus. They would be used on the road, rather than MTB. I could probably stretch to something quite high end - £100 max. Asking now as there could be some Black Friday deals. I don't trust the endless Amazon reviews.

Thanks.

I really like this Ravemen rear light. I use it as a helmet light in conjunction with an old Cateye seatpost mounted one that I already had but you can mount it on the bike or clip it to a bag etc etc. It's really bright and has a lot of different flash patterns.

Edit to add it's about thirty quid.

Just about any rear bike light is easily visible at night. But my advice is still:

1. have two rear lights - you won't know if a rear light fails or runs out of charge (or even falls off!) so having a second rear light is A Good Thing

2. check that both rear lights are visible from the rear when you are riding the bike. I wish I had a pound for every time I've seen rear lights obscured by luggage, rucksacks, clothing, seat post, etc.

Lezyne zecto for the rear, really bright and easy to attach. I’ve been using them for around a decade, on my third which has just packed up (switch broken, but it’s had a good innings, previous two were lost/stolen)

For the front, anything above about 300 lumens is good for road use, there’s a few cateye ones for about £25 that are 400 or 500 lumens but have a mount that isn’t easily removed.

Be aware that some of the unbranded bargains on eBay/Amazon etc.make exaggerated claims about their brightness.

Make sure you angle your front light up and to the right and put it on flash mode for some fuckwit reason.

There are some very bright bike lights these days.

Bike lights fact. Mr Matsushita, between the wars, started out in business making a better bike light. He took all his savings and made the lights in his flat before giving them to Tokyo bike shops with the instruction to leave them switched on to prove how long they lasted. The lights did well and Matsushita Electric and Panasonic were born.

Back
Top Bottom