Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Best software/hardware for fairly basic DJing?

editor

hiraethified
I'm going to have to up my game slightly get a decent laptop set up (I'm currently using Spotify and just pressing play!)

I'll still use CDs (I like the chaos they bring!) but I'm looking for a basic set up that does the job.

I consulted Dubversion and he uses a Traktor set up which seems pretty damn good. Ages ago, I bought a Mixtour mixer that works with Chromebooks and their DJ software but it seems a bit flakey.

I also might have some Rekordbox software somewhere but I really don't mind shelling up to a couple of hundred quid for an easy to use mixer/software set up. My needs really are basic though: at best I might just loop a song a bit or do a rewind thing but I really don't need all the bells and whistles.

*subscribes

Weirdly I just came on here to check on your other thread and see if you'd managed to find a way around downloading those spotify playlists to use with the Reloop mixer and Tidal/Deezer?

I'm also after getting an upgrade on my 1200s/analogue mixer setup. I just can't be doing with lugging around boxes of records and decks anymore. I have used Trakor a little before which sort of worked fine, though I prefer the experience to be less laptop mouse/screen starring, and more hardware based buttons/knobs/faders etc.

For a pure laptop setup (i.e. no CDs) I bought a Pioneer DDJ-400 a couple of months ago, and I think it's great. It's basically a dedicated controller for the Rekordbox software (and it came with a fully licensed version). It's powered by USB, so just one cable to connect to a laptop. Buttons and faders to do everything rather than mouse clicks and scrolling. The software seems to run pretty well on my 2012 era macbook too.

Got mine from argos for £260 I think.

I was going to suggest similar - I borrowed one to play at a festival last summer and it was good, although not without the odd quirk.
I've looking at it's little brother, the DDJ 200 which is actually quite tempting as it can be used without a laptop, just a phone or tablet - there are compromises which I'm happy to go into detail on if you're interested, but if you want something ultra simple and portable without looking too much like you're using a childs toy, this is worth a look!

Decent review here: Pioneer DJ Launches DDJ-200 Controller & WeDJ Phone App + Beatport Streaming

For a pure laptop setup (i.e. no CDs) I bought a Pioneer DDJ-400 a couple of months ago, and I think it's great. It's basically a dedicated controller for the Rekordbox software (and it came with a fully licensed version). It's powered by USB, so just one cable to connect to a laptop. Buttons and faders to do everything rather than mouse clicks and scrolling. The software seems to run pretty well on my 2012 era macbook too.

Got mine from argos for £260 I think.

Does the software show you what songs you've played during a set (i.e. greyed out or whatever). I'm DJing on my own these days and when I get bombarded by requests it'll be good to be reminded about what songs I've already used!

Ddj-400. It's got everything you need and the skills transfer to big room cdj setups. Rekordbox does the job (not as good as traktor imo) and comes free.

have to say that while I still dj out with records, it's a massive boring hassle getting all that shit to the venue and back. no real reason to do it unless you're playing at some vinyl fetishist night or you're a stubborn weirdo.
Even Carl Cox has dropped vinyl. Mainly citing the fact that he can have 500 songs on a USB stick in his pocket rather than 100 records in 2 flight cases.

Does the software show you what songs you've played during a set (i.e. greyed out or whatever). I'm DJing on my own these days and when I get bombarded by requests it'll be good to be reminded about what songs I've already used!
There is some kind of mark as played functionality, but I've never really got to the bottom of how it works. There does seem to be some complaining about this feature online though.

Mates got one of these. It’s pretty good. I believe the software is tied to the device in terms of licensing so you can’t just willy nilly use it on any device unless the kit is connected to it. No doubt tons of YouTube video reviews/tutorials out there for ypu
To have a look at and see if it fits your needs.

There is some kind of mark as played functionality, but I've never really got to the bottom of how it works. There does seem to be some complaining about this feature online though.
Damn. It's the one thing I could really use. Anyone know for sure if it works or not?

pretty sure they all do it, with Rekordbox and Serato the tracks change colour once they've been played

Is have serato pro and find it fine. Use it with a Roland controller. Not been able to do it much since buying unfortunately, but plan to in the future.

I almost found myself getting lost in features when I was looking at DJ ProAI to the extent of considering buying a Mac but the realised I'm never going to need to "play and remix singular elements from multiple tracks in real-time. Instantly isolate beats, instruments, and vocals of any song based on cutting-edge AI" or stream two video channels at the same time.

Ah right. So if I want to use Virtual DJ with a controller I've got to pay £18/month if I use it commercially or lie and say it's for home use only and still pay £94. Ouch!

Ah right. So if I want to use Virtual DJ with a controller I've got to pay £18/month if I use it commercially or lie and say it's for home use only and still pay £94. Ouch!

This is another decent alternative I've used that's a lot cheaper.

I use Serato DJ Lite (free) that seems to do most basic stuff, although I am currently having difficulty getting it to read my iTunes library.

I have a Numark DJ2GO, a toy compared to some of the ones above but it's good fun now that my days of playing out are over.

I use Serato DJ Lite (free) that seems to do most basic stuff, although I am currently having difficulty getting it to read my iTunes library.

I have a Numark DJ2GO, a toy compared to some of the ones above but it's good fun now that my days of playing out are over.
What annoyed me about serato lite was that it wouldn't let me record iirc. Which was a change from where I used it before.

Back
Top Bottom