Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best places to live/buy business in London?

Kiwi4britlife

Hey people,

I'm planning to move to somewhere in London with my family of 6 and we are looking to lease a pub with accommodation and run our New Zealand tour business from this as well.

Looking for ideas on nice middle class+ areas to live where we would potentially attract people who are looking to travel. I mean our agency will be all online but extra foot traffic would be a bonus.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As of yet we haven't visited London and plan to do this early next year. We plan to make our move within the next 2-3yrs. So alot of time to get everything organized.

Tia

"Nice middle class areas" = unbelievably expensive.
Amount of pubs offering large amounts of family accomodation in those areas = very small

Yeah looks to be this way! Might have to reconsider London. Atm we have a busy restaurant catering for upwards of 400 people at lunch time every day over summer season plus our tours so looking to downscale a bit and go more towards the tours and run a pub and accommodation...is that downscaling? Lol maybe a nice touristy town near the coast?

...and when you say "early next year" for a visit, for the love of god do not come in January or February as you will be utterly shocked and appalled at the darkness, the cold and the generally foul weather. Or perhaps do! It might put you off sufficiently :D

Haha new Zealand is a dream....but we're getting itchy feet. My partner is from Redmile and since being in Nz for most of his life hasn't been back and I'm eager to get over those ways and check out my Irish and Scottish roots.
I am a tad worried about the weather but think it will be spring by the time we can get away so hopefully not too cold for us!

Yeah looks to be this way! Might have to reconsider London. Atm we have a busy restaurant catering for upwards of 400 people at lunch time every day over summer season plus our tours so looking to downscale a bit and go more towards the tours and run a pub and accommodation...is that downscaling? Lol maybe a nice touristy town near the coast?
Where are you now? Moving to London is definitely not downscaling by any stretch of the imagination. Even from Auckland. You might be better running a pub/accomodation in a coastal town.

I've just spent nearly 2 years living in NZ and am finding the built up environment and relentless busyness of London very hard to readjust to and I lived here for more than 20 years.

Where are you now? Moving to London is definitely not downscaling by any stretch of the imagination. Even from Auckland. You might be better running a pub/accomodation in a coastal town.

I've just spent nearly 2 years living in NZ and am finding the built up environment and relentless busyness of London very hard to readjust to and I lived here for more than 20 years.

We are 3hrs south of Auckland at waitomo caves. We live rurally so London may be a bit of a shock to the system!
What did you do here? Did you enjoy it? The great thing about nz is you can drive for a couple of hours and be at the beach, or the mountains from any location.

We are 3hrs south of Auckland at waitomo caves. We live rurally so London may be a bit of a shock to the system!
What did you do here? Did you enjoy it? The great thing about nz is you can drive for a couple of hours and be at the beach, or the mountains from any location.
Rural NZ to London will definitely be a shock and if you like easy access to beaches and mountains, you are definitely going to be completely cut off from that.

There are many beautiful places in the UK but London's charms are very different and with 5 kids in tow, it sounds even less like the right place for you.

I don't want to sound negative but I would counsel against coming to London. If your business is online, there is no reason for it to be here and the city is so spread out, you don't really get people just passing by a pub who will think "oh I'll pop in there and book a tour".

I was travelling and then lived and worked in Blenheim for a while. Personal circumstances forced me back to England. I would never have left if I'd had the choice.

Last edited:
Rural NZ to London will definitely be a shock and if you like easy access to beaches and mountains, you are definitely going to be completely cut off from that.

There are many beautiful places in the UK but London's charms are very different and with 5 kids in tow, it sounds even less like the right place for you.

I don't want to sound negative but I would counsel against coming to London. If you're business is online, there is no reason for it to be here and the city is so spread out, you don't really get people just passing by a pub who will think "oh I'll pop in there and book a tour".

Yes! Been rethinking it now. Maybe a high tourist area. If people are already travelling they have the bug and might want to go to nz.
Def going to visit London though. My sister lived in Kent for 8 years.

That's a shame you had to leave

Last edited:
Yes! Been rethinking it now. Maybe a high tourist area. If people are already travelling they have the bug and might want to go to nz.
Def going to visit London though. My sister lived in Kent for 8 years.
Oh definitely visit London - it is a fabulous city - just don't move here :D

Somewhere in or near a university town maybe? Students taking gap years or finishing their studies might be a good market for tours to NZ?

Oh definitely visit London - it is a fabulous city - just don't move here :D

Somewhere in or near a university town maybe? Students taking gap years or finishing their studies might be a good market for tours to NZ?

Yeah but I don't think we can out market kiwi experience, they're huge here and get all those type.

Although we do do affordable tours that may interest students who don't want to do the run of the mill attractions on bus with loads of Yahoo's.

Back
Top Bottom