Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best can opener ?

gentlegreen

I hummus, therefore I am ...
I open one or two cans every day and I've just worn out yet another opener - not sure what I paid for the fancy one perhaps a year ago, but all they had this time was the cheapest kind with a "plough" rather than a cutting wheel - a type I haven't used for many years ...

openers.jpg

I thought they all had their own ringpulls these days.
Not cheap tins of chickpeas alas. :(

I bought one of these recently. It's a revelation after my last one (which tbf was v cheap and 10 years old).

i like the way the electric ones work. i've never had one but i read they take the whole top off the can and you can use it as a lid afterwards. i think they cut through the seam.

eta, like this,

Last edited:
Dunno mate but I visited some posh friends recently and they had one that left no sharp edges at all. It was seriously impressive. Probably costs more than £1.99 though.

Not cheap tins of chickpeas alas. :(

I bought one of these recently. It's a revelation after my last one (which tbf was v cheap and 10 years old).

Yep, budget own brand ranges (Savers, Essentials, Simply as per the various supermarkets) tend not to have ring pulls, at least not all of them, it's one of the things that makes them cheaper - the tins are cheaper to produce.

I second this suggestion of an OXO tin opener, I've had one for years and it's still going strong.

Reactions: Sue
As sad as it is, I've been looking for a good tin opener for ages. I stumbled on this fella's channel a while back and ended up watching this 20 minute video on tin opener history and mechanics. I now want one of these.

I've got a Cullinaire Magic-Can that wasn't at all expensive and has very reliably opened a lot of tins over many years and a very old Yates-style blade opener that I inherited from my Gran, which has been opening tins for even longer.

Cheap-shit butterfly openers wear out in no time IME.

Cheap-shit butterfly openers wear out in no time IME.

My parents had these when I was a kid and I’ve never felt the need to use anything else. They do a simple job effectively. I did once have one disintegrate in my hands but at .99p each, who cares? I think I may have bought 3 or 4 in my life, so that’ll likely equate to a lifetime of tin opening for under a tenner👍

My parents had these when I was a kid and I’ve never felt the need to use anything else. They do a simple job effectively. I did once have one disintegrate in my hands but at .99p each, who cares? I think I may have bought 3 or 4 in my life, so that’ll likely equate to a lifetime of tin opening for under a tenner👍
In a way I'm glad they only had the cheap type as it has forced me to use one for the first time in maybe 10 years and it works so well I wonder if it's as much about accessibility as anything else and whether the "plough" is forge-hardened or needs to be ...
I wonder if my parents ever bought a second Prestige-branded one of these - apart from the very occasional can of fruit, it was just occasional canned tomatoes in a family that only ate cooked meals at the weekend...

I'm trying not to buy stuff while I'm still living here and when I move, returning to cooking my own beans from dry will be a feature of my life - plus I have a lot of chickpeas and lentils I need to start cooking now that I have a fridge...

Last edited:
As sad as it is, I've been looking for a good tin opener for ages. I stumbled on this fella's channel a while back and ended up watching this 20 minute video on tin opener history and mechanics. I now want one of these.

Technology connections taught me that brown is orange without the light, for which I will always be grateful. Well, without the contrast.

I would like to take this opportunity to suggest both the good grips garlic crusher, and the good grips veg peelers. The garlic crusher is a particular highlight with it's simple flip to purge action.

Yes but it is almost a given that they will fall to bits when you have no alternative food at hand or you are camped up a hill, miles from anywhere..! I have ended up trying to hacksaw a tin open before or fall back on the opener on my pen knife, which as a left hander, seems better designed for cutting open fingers than opening tins! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom